Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Wipeout bore cleaner? I like the convenience factor and the minimal bore brushing to minimize wear on lands or muzzle. Just wondering if it is as good as advertised?
Thanks
Jed

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It works... The foam can "REALLY" expand quick so go slow and minimal until you realize what it takes to fill your bore. Removes copper build up nicely.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wipeout is all I use anymore to get copper fouling out. Verified by bore scope that it works. I tend to leave it overnight though and not however many minutes it says on the instructions.

Before using Wipeout I use MP 7 to get carbon fouling out. Terrific stuff, no smell and non hazardous.

regards
JohnT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO it is the best bore cleaner out there. I tryed it a couple of years ago and it is ALL that I use now. Works very well with minimal effort to get barrels squeaky clean and also adds an additive to prevent rust or corrosion. So far so good.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I use Wipeout,Patchout and both of them with Accelerator. They work as advertised . The only time I brush a bore anymore is with Patchout and I use a nylon brush...I then let it sit for a few hours.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not to hi-jack the thread - but what do you guys use to plug the chamber when spraying the Wipe-out in the barrel? Thanks!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I put a flexible soda straw on the can ..shake it for 1 minute and put the straw from the chamber end until it hits the rifling and squeeze slowly . The rifle has to sit horizontally when using the foam

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 11/10/09.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I rigged up a bore guide and went to the hardware store and found some clear plastic tube that fit the nozzle of the wipe-out and fit inside the bore guide pretty snug (Dewey bore guide) and just a 1/2 sec squirt is all you need, bore guide keeps it out of the trigger assy and makes it a little easier to deal with.

I've used the patch-out with accelerator and both the foam and the liquid work well, usually after the last relay of a match I'll run two patches of accelerator then a couple of patch-out for the trip home and clean when I get home.
(just use something else to get the carbon out)
Good products.

I'm just a Score Shooter
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blong
Not to hi-jack the thread - but what do you guys use to plug the chamber when spraying the Wipe-out in the barrel? Thanks!

I don't block it with anything. I just give little squirts through the muzzle until the foam comes out the chamber, usually taking some crud out with it, and then set it on a it's side on a open cardboard box so anything that runs/drips out falls out the ejection port and into the box.
Great stuff.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use the Gunslick foaming bore cleaner. It cleans just as well, is easier to find, and has a clear flexible tube you stick in the chamber. Hit the buttom until you see it coming out the muzzle, hold the tube there for a few seconds so all the extra goes out the muzzle instead of back in the chamber. After the first few seconds it stops expanding and you can remove the straw. Make sure the muzzle is pointed slightly down so nothing runs back into the action. Excellent product.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I agree with what everyone else has stated. Good stuff and all I use on my rifle bores. Despite what WipeOut claims about also being a rust preventative, I've never used it for that. After using a tight fitting patch to remove some of the WipeOut, I spray a degreaser (from Wally World's automotive section) into the bore to remove the rest of it and than I follow up with a good rust preventative. I use Corrosion-X but there are other products that also do a good job of corrosion protection. WipeOut may well be a good bore rust preventative but it smells like caustic soda to me and, even if it is buffered, I still don't entirely trust it for that purpose nor am I gonna take a chance that it will work.

I apply WipeOut from the muzzle. If you do this, some advice:1) Make sure you have a tight seal between the muzzle and the WipeOut can nozzle. It's not hard to do but something to be aware of; and, 2) Before applying, shake the hell out of the can for at least 1 minute (the less in the can, the more you need to shake it) and just hit the spray button for about 1 second. Any longer than that and you stand a good chance of the foam over-expanding out of the chamber end. Don't ask me how I know this! If it happens, it's really just a mess and nothing more. However, be advised that WipeOut will attack aluminum. So, you want to provide protection if your rifle floorplate and/or magazine follower are aluminum. This a good reason not to over-apply the stuff in the first place. Finally, if you have an aluminum rifle receiver, WipeOut probably isn't the ideal product to use, though I don't know how long it takes for the stuff to actually attack aluminum.

Once again, this stuff works great on my rifles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Plugging the chamber would probably not be a good idea. I use a Sinclair bore guide in the chamber and squirt the Wipeout into the muzzle. The foam expands into the bore guide and doesn't get into the chamber or action.

Weiners are health food - My dad
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=375245

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Horseman
I use the Gunslick foaming bore cleaner. It cleans just as well, is easier to find, and has a clear flexible tube you stick in the chamber. Hit the buttom until you see it coming out the muzzle, hold the tube there for a few seconds so all the extra goes out the muzzle instead of back in the chamber. After the first few seconds it stops expanding and you can remove the straw. Make sure the muzzle is pointed slightly down so nothing runs back into the action. Excellent product.

I've been wondering if that stuff is the equivalent of Wipeout.....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jedgreen
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Wipeout bore cleaner? I like the convenience factor and the minimal bore brushing to minimize wear on lands or muzzle. Just wondering if it is as good as advertised?
Thanks
Jed

I have been using Wipeout almost exculsively the past 4 years.
The stuff works, I hardly ever break out a bore-brush these days.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wipe Out does a great job of removing copper but leaves the carbon behind. Carbon build up will make a barrel shoot like crap. Always use a carbon remover before the Wipe Out.

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought a case factory direct about 6 months ago! No I don't like itgrin

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Gunslick is nowhere close to Wipe Out; WO works.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the straw in the chamber method as well. Just a 1 second squirt and it expands out of the muzzle. Hold for a couple of seconds with the straw until it quits expanding and remove straw. Tip barrel slightly down and allow to work. 1 hour later run a couple of patches and your golden. I will say that I do use the accelerator and it seems to remove the carbon quite well and the foam takes care of the rest.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by GF1
Gunslick is nowhere close to Wipe Out; WO works.

I've used both and couldn't tell the difference other than can designs. I've had blue colored foam dripping out of the muzzle with the Gunslick brand. Patches literally navy blue. I have cans of both and don't consider one better than the other. As I said before, the Gunslick is easier to use with the rubber tube.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (35, 7887mm08, 44mc, 7x57Hunter, Akhutr, 8 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,420
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.