Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
dave09 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Getting tired of this sheet!

Run for your life,surrender or stand up and fight!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Over the counter prilosec every day - none of this 14 day on and off stuff. But I'm not doctor. It'll revolutionize your life. For relief now titralac.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
if you need to lose weight, that will really help with the reflux

Sam......

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by dave09

How bad is it?
Is it just certain foods or practically anything you eat?

For myself an occaisional Tums Ultra 1000 is all i need.
But i have seen times where i was better off just making myself puke just to get the offending food out of my stomach.
Certain foods such as chocolate,some dairy products and certain meats such as hot dogs,brisket can give it to me pretty good.

Last edited by Texas Hunter; 11/12/09.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I was going through tums by the case for years.
Acid from anything I ate even water. Burping all the time. Burping acid into my sinuses while asleep at night.

Finally talked to the Dr. about it. Nexium turned my life around.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
See your doctor

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by duckster
See your doctor
+1

I'm scheduled for an upper-somethingoscopy on 12/11..

Eating's not much fun right now.. I'm just hoping they don't find something with a name that starts with 'C'...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Been dealing with what the drug companies have recently termed "Reflux Disorder" all my life. I've become quite an expert at dealing with it acutely, and long term. Acutely, when I first feel the pain, I quickly swallow down about ten fast gulps of cold water. Then, immediately, I take two tablespoons full of Mylanta (classic flavor). Do it only in that order. This is effective 99% of the time. When it's not, a repeat of the same is.

Long term, to prevent an attack, make sure to eat something raw with each meal, and avoid meals predominantly made up of processed foods or starch. Eat your beef and lamb quite rare. Sushi is great. Have a salad before your lunch and dinner. Have some fresh fruit or fresh squeezed fruit juice with your breakfast. Eat something like eggs, bacon, sausage for breakfast instead of cereal. Make the eggs lightly scrambled, sunny side up, or over easy. Avoid bread, but if you must, make it pumpernickel or sour dough. Pasta is fine, but make it al dente. If you have a source of high quality raw whole milk, drink it with meals, but if you don't have access, do not drink pasteurized milk at all. Avoid potatoes unless they are fried. Avoid rice unless it's fried rice. Neither should be a major part of the meal, however. The idea of frying starch is to transform it into something that your body will react to in the stomach as fat, not starch.

The main thing is to realize that we are not designed to eat cooked foods, processed foods, or starchy foods. In nature, we ate everything raw, nothing cooked or processed, little or no starch to speak of because it's toxic when raw. Cooking destroys the enzymes we need for proper digestion, and acid reflux is a problem associated with an unnatural diet (lacking living enzymes and high in starch) leading to poor digestion. Alter your diet, as much as possible, in the direction of the natural human diet, and your problem will be solved.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Costco has a store brand of Prilosec that's quite a bit cheaper. I take 1 about every 3d day and it keeps me under control. A couple Tums at bedtime takes care of any nighttime heartburn.

Getting the FDA to put Prilosec over the counter was a major coup by the insurance companies. It saved them millions by taking it off the prescription drug list. At the same time, it cost the consumers millions.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't discount something food related. A few years ago, mine was getting so bad I was sleeping sitting up. I knew it was hereditary, and never considered a food allergy. I went on the Atkins diet, and literally the next day my reflux was gone. For a long time after that, I thought I was gluten intolerant. Then I tested negative for gluten intolerance. I've finally narrowed it down to corn starch, which is a main ingredient in baking powder, and is found in a lot of other things as well.

Now I simply avoid corn starch. Every now and then I stray and eat something with corn starch in in it, which is handily controlled with prilosec. I probably have 3-4 prilosecs a month.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I take two Prilosec OTC each day. It's expensive, but works.

Anotehr thing you can do at home is to sleep with your upper body inclined. That's about the best thing for GURD, or whatever it's called.

Look it up on Google. However, inclining your sleeping position is absolutely great for acid reflux.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

L
L
I USE THE OLD FAMILY REMEDY USED FOR GENERATIONS, WORKS EVERYTIME 1/2 TEASPOON BAKING SODA WITH A CUP OF WATER.

dave09 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Trying to shun pills.

I love food! Lately even water causes pain! Drank two cups of Coffee every morning,quit that,Doctors suggestion, i have not seen my Doc for Acid reflux yet! getting there, trying on my own as i always do!(upbringing)

Run for your life,surrender or stand up and fight!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I mentioned having a similar problem on here once before, and the Oracle of the North - Northern Dave - offered me this sure-fire cure -- "Shave your junk and eat a can of orange juice concentrate"

Luckily I did not have to resort to that -- Let us know if it works --

Good Luck, DARBY

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gene L
I take two Prilosec OTC each day. It's expensive, but works.

Anotehr thing you can do at home is to sleep with your upper body inclined. That's about the best thing for GURD, or whatever it's called.

Look it up on Google. However, inclining your sleeping position is absolutely great for acid reflux.
GERD is a fantasy invented by the manufacturer of the little pink pill. What they call GERD is merely a severe case of chronic acid indigestion caused by an intolerance to an unnatural diet. Discover what a natural human diet is, approximate it as closely as you can, and you won't need the little pink pill, but the drug companies certainly don't want you to know that, and your doctor will never tell you because they're trained in medicine by the drug companies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ranitidine (generic name - a.k.a. Zantac) worked for me until I lost some weight and the acid reflux went away. Obviously I didn't have a serious problem with it though I've known some that did. They needed help from a doctor. Also certain foods at certain times of day were sure to bring it on, bananas in the morning were a killer!

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Short term....drink a few glasses of milk. Long term, see the doc.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Trying to shun pills.

I love food! Lately even water causes pain! Drank two cups of Coffee every morning,quit that,Doctors suggestion, i have not seen my Doc for Acid reflux yet! getting there, trying on my own as i always do!(upbringing)
Please go back and study my first post on this thread. There's a lot more to it, but that's the quick version. I used to be just like you with this stuff. Absolute truth. Like night and day. It's not hard.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nexium or Aciphex both require a prescription. Elevating the head of your bed will help more than you would think. Gravity helps keep the Acid in the stomach.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My wife uses a little aloe juice (1-2 oz.) to help as needed.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 36 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.