Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Danner Combat Hiker I sort of spoke my piece about these on my Lowa post, so I won't reiterate it here. All in all a decent boot, with a few issues that need addressed. On a side note, the eyelets all the way up is so you can jump them, you have to tape the tops of boots with hooks to cover all the hooks for airborne ops, which is of no concern for a hunter. I'll tape mine and have more functional boot please!

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
They are without a doubt my new favorite boots! I use and love the Talus, but the Combat boots rock in my opinion. I was lucky and got mine new for $50 shipped. They are US made which is a huge bonus as well. I will highly recomend you try them if you can find them.

Good Shooting!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Find them where?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I got mine on ebay. I do not think they are being offered yet to the public. They are made for the special forces in Afganistan. There is a dealer selling them on ebay at great prices.

Good Shooting!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'll check on 'bay.

I'm closer to special ed than special forces!

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
"I'm closer to special ed than special forces!"

That's funny! I am with you!

Good Shooting!
175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
As I posted origionally on my Lowa Banff thread, I think these Danners are a good boot, but I have some real issues with them, predominantly the laceing ststem. But they are a very comfortable functional boot. I will be having the lace system modified when I return home with them. I was issued two pairs to test and will probably totally destroy one here. The other pair I will use sparingly. The wrecked ones will go back to Danner to be rebuilt/ reconditioned, I want to see how the customer support is with them.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good report, thanks.

I'm going to check them out.

B
B
how is the fit? similar to other boots or are they tighter than say your regular jungle boot?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I like the fit better than the over seas boots. Seems to be truer to size.

Good Shooting!
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 175rltw
I want to see how the customer support is with them.

I had a pair of new American made Danners start making a clicking sound at every step on a backcountry hunt about 7yrs ago. Too far back in to just swap boots. First it was one boot clicking but at the end of the hunt both boots were clicking away in an annoying unison and I could feel something popping in the arch area of each boot. My hunting pard was making wise cracks and snickering too (he was wearing Meindl Alaskans).

When I got home I packed up the boots and called Danner, they put the boot repair person on the phone. He stated I would have to pay a $75.00 repair charge in order to have the boots repaired. I told him not to bother but to give me the new owner's name & office of Danner Boot Co so I could ship those boots directly to him with a nice letter on where he could put those defective boots. The repair person put me on hold for about 10 min and then came back on and stated to ship the boots to them, there would be no repair bill. I did and they repaired them but that pair of boots never broke in right and in steep rough country they gave me a blister or two. I chucked them in the trash a few years ago. That was about my 5th or 6th Danner boot, and the only Danners that gave me any trouble. I still have another pair that feel great but are pretty hellish looking.

I like my newer Lowas and Asolos so far, will stick to some of the european made boots if possible.

MtnHtr

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I just sent a 2-year old pair of Pronghorns in that were leaking. 2-weeks later I have a new pair, so your buddy must not have talked to the right person. Some guys on my crews use their work boots and get the rebuilt or replaced regularly. I am no Chuck Adams, but walk here in NM through lava fields etc. and my boots last atleast 2-years???? What are you guys doing?

Good Shooting!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It happened around the time Danner was sold to a new owner and I'm sure they gave up that new repair policy realizing they would not stay in business long if they did not back up their former warranties.

The folks in the shop is what makes a company, the managers too if they are good ones.

MtnHtr

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 76 invisible), 3,155 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,934
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.