Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm lookin at getting one of these two, but endless research leaves me with that Ford vs Chevy feeling.

I'm not concerned with money or costs, rather I'd prefer quality and user friendly. Likey to go with either the 6 or 8 man, and with a stove. Undecided on a floor or no floor. Opinions on these tents?

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
have only used the tipi, if you're used to double wall tents might want to spring for the liner.

with the 8 man, 3 guys is starting to get cozy, I prefer it with two guys, then it's a palace.

the other part of the equation is probably irrelevant to anyone but me, but Patrick Smith has earned my respect, I believe he's a good man.

if I'm spending coin for good gear, it tickles me to give it to someone I can like and admire. YMMV

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've heard the Ti Goat was an inspiration (read copy cat) from some guys who were originaly at Kifaru, but I don't know for certain. Curious if they improved on the tipi, or spun off with a watered down product.

I've heard good on P Smith as well. Nothing wrong with hearing that echoed again, +1

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
+1 on Mr Smith,from what I heard T I Goat makes a good product ,but TI tipis only have one door so it would be harder to vent.They don't have a liner avail.and that alone would be a deal breaker for me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing to add on the choice, but I can confirm that Kifaru is top notch. I had a problem with pack fit--belt sliding down with HEAVY (70+) loads and called the company to ask if I needed a smaller belt. Lady said she'd put someone on who could help me. Patrick picked up and walked me through how to solve the problem. Nice to have that kind of support.

IC B2

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't know about the Ford/Chevy thing but I can highly recommend Kifaru -- the company and the people behind it especially the owner.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i can not speak for the ford vs chevy either , but since i have 3 tipis i do have some expierence them-all good.j
the floor thing is way over rated. carry a small tarp or tyvek to throw down if ya need it[i do] a piece of drop cloth is very light and compact also for this. i cant say enough about the floor thing is way over rated - once you go floorless you will understand. dirty boots mean nothing just tromp in water will soak in to the floor and disappear- heck you can take a shower in a tipi and sleep in it that nite. as for water running under i am sure it can but if you choose wisely it wont. bugs are the worst i worry about and so far i have not had a problem. even in the boundry waters and alaska.

liners- to each his own. i had a liner for the 6 and sold it. with the 6 you do touch tipi some standing and dressing. with 8 you can stand and dress and not touch it. we can bring in saddles and gear in the 8 and it is crowded for 2.
with the 12, 2 with saddles and panniers are no problem. the guys that go with me want a liner for the 12.

they do sweat indide and 2 doors will help dry them and the second door is used to enter.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by 1akhunter

with the 8 man, 3 guys is starting to get cozy, I prefer it with two guys, then it's a palace.

I just love tent maker's ratings. An 8-man tent is comfortable with 2, and crowded with 3. Why in the hell do they label it as an 8-man?

It's all in the reflexes.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No option for a liner on the TI Goat. If I had the money for either, I'd get the Kifaru with a liner.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PepeLp
Originally Posted by 1akhunter

I just love tent maker's ratings. An 8-man tent is comfortable with 2, and crowded with 3. Why in the hell do they label it as an 8-man?

The ratings are based on mountaineering standards. They aren't leading anybody astray. They tell you how many people can sleep in the tent, not how many can use it as a house. If you notice they usually throw in the explaination something akin to "sleeps 6; but, it's ideal for two and their gear".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Both companies are great to deal with. I can only speak to the kifaru as far as tipis go and my 8-man is awesome. You could easily get 8 people in there if you had to, but the 8-man is more suited for 4-5. We've had 5 guys for 4+ days at a time and it was fine.

The liner is a must and we bring a small tarp cut out for the stove up and then some tyvek to cover the outer areas not covered by the tarp. With large stove, entire tent, pegs, liner etc..... it was about 6 lbs a piece between 3 guys to carry it up this year.... It was a castle for 3.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I can highly recomend the Kifaru 8 man with the large stove. Will be headed to Kodiak Island for 5th time with it in 3 days. I wasn't sure about the floorless design at first but I love it now. I have always used it for 2 guys and all of our gear + firewood inside. Has worked out great. Stood up to some nasty weather and it sure feels good to get warm and dry at the end of everyday. Like mentioned before...the liner is a must! The fabric is 100% waterproof so none gets in and none gets out! Not a problem with the liner though, you'll stay dry. Heres a pic from my caribou hunt this las Sept., everyone who has stayed in it loves it.
[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
There is a new shelter available this January...the Hilleberg Altai. Sleeps 8, I think, and has vertical walls, which I really like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrI3ac-ZKaU

Hilleberg has been testing them for awhile now.

I'll be testing one out in the snow in January, and plan to use it in the Wind River Range in Wyoming this August, above timberline.

Complete packaged weight with optional poles and stakes is 11 lbs, for the polyester fabric version.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
+1 on customer service with Kifaru. I had an adjustment problem with my Late Season pack and they told me to come on over since I live in the Denver area. I show up and Patrick himself comes out explains the adjustment process, then adjusts the pack as we chew the fat about the upcoming hunting season. I spent close to an hour talking guns, hunting,backpacking, etc. and he never gave me the impression that he felt that I was impinging on his valuable time. That type of customer service has made me a Kifaruite for life!

How a man acts when he wins reveals part of his character, how he acts when he loses reveals the rest.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Liner - check
Floorless - big check

You guys with Kifarus - are you happy with the Kifaru stove and that roll up pipe?

NRA Life Member
AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 379 Peterbilt
Liner - check
Floorless - big check

You guys with Kifarus - are you happy with the Kifaru stove and that roll up pipe?

I haven't had anything to compare it to, but yes, I've been very happy with mine so far. The roll up pipe works awesome. The stove seems to work great too. It let's a good bit of air in due to all of the pieces so damper control is a little tough to manage, but for how light it is and how small it packs up, it seems to work pretty damn good. I have the large stove and that thing will get my 8-man crankin'. It's tough to damp it down enough to make it last for more than a couple hours on a full load (and keep it from going out), but to take the edge off at night and in the morning it is excellent.

This year, we were in 6 degree weather and deep snow....I couldn't imagine not having it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You bring up a good point - stove size. 8 man w/large stove in 6 degree temps worked well. I'm wondering if the medium stove would have worked for ya in those temps?

Maybe on stove size selection for an 8 man, bigger is better ... much like horsepower LOL

Thanks for the input, gents!

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
we use the medium stove I believe in our 8 man.

it's plenty for my needs. I don't really want it so hot I'm in a t'shirt and skivvies. others like it, but I don't, but it sure does feel good to be warm.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Kifaru tipis are amazing. I have really come to love the floorless design. And man when the weather gets bad the stove sure comes in handy. Neat how it can pack down so small, but yet work so well. I would agree it doesnt get anybetter than Kifaru costumer service.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
check out GoLite Shangri-La. Not as bullet proof as the Kifaru but much less expensive.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,431
Posts18,470,796
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.