Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
While there is no shortage of M70 guys around here, I never hear anyone talking about the lightweights. There seems to be a following for the XTR Featherweights (myself included), isnt the lightweight the same without the fancy stock?

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
The guys that own them keep them locked away from the market. I have not seen a Lighweight (.308) for at least 5-6 years.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have one that started off as a 243, and has since been rebarreled to .358 Win. I absoluteely love it, and it will be what I take with me when I get drawn for Cypress Hills Elk.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have often thought about doing the same, but dont see many short actions around here. Usually just 270, 30-06. Did you stick with the fwt barrel contour?

JW- I definetly agree, seems the folks that have them, arent parting with them.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I've been trying to find a standard short action M70 for about a year now. No luck.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother has one in 243 but usually uses his Ruger M77 for hunting. I have offered to buy it from him many times. He always declines. frown Hopefully some day....and then I can make a 7mm-08 out of it.

RH

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have wondered the same. As my smith pointed out to me, that stock is very similar to McMillans Compact stock design.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 2 of them in 250-3000, but swapped the stocks for the FWT style. The LWT stocks are equally functional, but I like the schnabled forearm tip of the FWT.

Jeff

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I'll try to post some pictures of mine. I kept the barrel contour the same, and had it blued. Just something about a stainless barrel on a blued action that doesn't look right to me. It's a wonderful light rifle, and it shoots about 1 1/4" with Sierra 225gr BTSP and AA2520. The recoil is not bad, I've had .30-06 that kicked worse. I think it's the very straight comb and minmal drop at the heel that helps. I have thought about putting a recoil pad on, but for right now I'll stick with it the way it is.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have one that isn't for sale. I like the Lightweight stock design much better than the standard fwt.

IC B3

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D

Last edited by dragoon7214; 11/15/09.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The action is the problem... Light 70 is an oxymoron.

Screwing a skinny tube in a fat action does not make a lightweight. Handling suffers...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I don't know about that. Mine has a 22" tube and handles very nicely. It's a push feed action, so it's a tiny bit lighter than the controlled round actions. It's point of balance is just behind the hinge of the floor plate, about dead center of the rifle. I find that it is easy to carry, and shoot from field positions. This summer, I was shooting with a friend at the local range and we were both able to hit a 10" steel gong at 300yds with it from the sittng and kneeling position, with the aid of the sling. I needed about a 4" holdover from the top of the gong to hit it, but managed it without any problems.

Last edited by dragoon7214; 11/15/09.
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Very nice dragoon. Looks like an ideal package where light and power might come together. Any work needs on the rails/ramp to get it to feed in the conversion?

I imagine that fwt barrel has to be pretty thin considering the .35 bore.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have 2 of them in 250-3000, but swapped the stocks for the FWT style. The LWT stocks are equally functional, but I like the schnabled forearm tip of the FWT.

Jeff

You should pull one of those, nobody needs two. BTW, I'll take it if you do.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a 30-06 Carbine. Same rifle with a 20" barrel. Mine is quite accurate and carries well in the thick stuff.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shot a friends today in .308W. It is a great consistent shooter that sometimes is scary accurate.

Not a lightweight, but still a great carry rifle for most normal hunting conditions.

Last edited by battue; 11/15/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had/have one which I also re-barreled to 358 Winchester. I reshaped the stock a bit and added a steel grip cap and a forend tip. It looked nice and I shot a couple of deer with it (225 Sieeras at 2500 kill deer REAL well!). I then re-barreled it to 6.5x55. It shot real well and I shot a deer with it. It is currently wearing a heavy 308 barrel and sits in a laminated Marksman stock. I have no plans to shoot a deer in this configuration but may try a coyote.
My rifles tend to change a bit depending on my mood.
I considered the lightweight to be a real bargain and liked the stock better than the FWT.
When the weight is in the action area, it is between the hands making for a very quick handling rifle. Handling suffers only where the stock is heavy so the rifle becomes butt-heavy and balances too far to the rear. Action weight will change handling very little. The Winchester lightweight stocks are generally made of fairly light walnut and are relatively small in the butt so they still balance fairly well. Scope choice can affect handling more than three onces on the action will. The fact is, a rifle with a light barrel has to be made light in order to balance well. Light barrels need light stocks. Conversely, heavy barrels need some stock weight to balance them.
The 358 barrel is thinnish but I will make them a little heavier forward of the fore arm to keep balance. If the barrel channel dimensions are not an issue I might make the barrel heavier over it's full length with balance being the determining factor. GD

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
greydog
"The fact is, a rifle with a light barrel has to be made light in order to balance well."

Sorry friend, but you cannot have it both ways. wink

They are thin in the tube and not light enough in the stock because of the normal limits of walnut specific gravity. Because they are so heavy in the action it makes them sluggish. And in a bad way, where shooting them in field positiions seems compromised. The barrels move as a function of the rest of the rifle rather than being the leader.
YMMV
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The only Lightweight Model 70 that I've see is the one I mentioned. If one has one that shoots even close to that one, you could live with its weight easily.

For those who want or need a flyweight for extreme mountain hunting that may not be the case, for everything else I can't see a problem.

The LW Model 70 is a fine rifle. Many are not aware of them being made.

Last edited by battue; 11/16/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 46 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,648
Posts18,512,573
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.