Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 272 of 1,842 1 2 270 271 272 273 274 1841 1842
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
I can see it now.A complete line of "Camp Chickenbuck" items.Furniture,clothes,hunting ascessories.The "Camp Chickenbuck" video game.Dave is the new Super Mario overcoming all manner of obstacles to get to and from his stand.I love it.

Stan in SC

funny you should say that, we were telling Dave the same thing this weekend

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That sounds like a good set up Stan, for sure!

Details on the doe for tzone & colorado.

I climbed into that stand we had called "sniper stand" on our map back at the cabin. I have since renamed the stand "oh $hit!"

It's in a tamarack swamp that has been growing & uprooting tamarack for thousands of years so the whole thing is a crater field with tall dry grass that lays over & hides the craters like pit traps. Plus it's recently been logged so along with the natural nastiness there are stumps & logs that add to the treachery. I think I told Ryan in a txt message from the stand that I was renaming it the "oh $hit" stand because of what you would have to go through to get a deer out of there. grin

Anyways, I'm facing south on the north edge of this tamarack cut with Ryans stand spot a 1/4 mile to the east of me. It's around 4:30 when I hear this deer blowing over by Ryan's spot. She'd blow about 5 times then stop. I know she didn't wind me or see me so it must have been something else that had her upset. She kept on like that so I decided to get on the grunt tube a little. I gave a few grunts & she stopped blowing. Well I think she worked through that cedar woods on the north side of that cut all the way across from Ryan's stand to mine to find this buck. (me grin )

She came out behind me, she never came out of the cedars but she was just working the edge & watching out into the cut. I was turned around to my left as far as I could twist & I still couldn't shoulder the rifle to get on her. I had to anchor the 264 against my bicep & really reach with my neck to get a sideways peep through the scope. I made her out in the scope & I could barely reach the trigger with my fingertip. The rifle & scope were canted, it was just goofy. When I made her with the scope she was looking right at me so I was going to have to make a shot work without moving any more. There was just enough shoulder clearing a big tree to where I could burn one in tight to that tree & still get a good shoulder hit.

I touched it off, I can tell you the morning after that the .264 is best fired from the shoulder, not the bicep grin

It was a good clean take, pass through forward on both shoulders, busted stuff up pretty bad. I don't think she went 20 yds & she was done.

Cycled the bolt nice & slow, slipped the empty into my pocket & chambered another. Went to the spot I last saw movement with the scope & couldn't see anything. I waited a while then lowered my rifle on the string, climbed down & walked over to find her. She's a pretty good doe, I was happy to find her & for the first time ever I remembered that I had a pair of rubber gloves in my pocket. those gloves are great!! I did however forget to bring my sagen saw for the pelvis so I had to palm hammer my knife through the pelvis which ended up tearing the gloves on both palms but they still really kept ny fingers clean.

I took my belt off, leashed her up with a choker & started dragging across that horrible tamarack swamp. I got her to where I knew I could get to with an ATV then I left an orange stocking cap on a stick next to her so I could find her when I came back later.

I went back to the cabin & got bangflop's ATV & went in & got her, she's hangin nice & cool on the pole now. I can taste the backstraps already grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great story Dave! Headed out tomorrow to see if I can find an elk.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
way to go Dave!

the reason I never sat in that stand was for that reason, it would be hell getting a deer out of there. and through them cedars/tamaracks would be just as fun.

she looks big though, and I bet she'll be delicious!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speaking of eating backstraps...

ND, I've seen photos of your barbeques and I must say you get my mouth watering every time you post them. What is everyone's favorite way to prepare the straps? Mmmm, my mouth just started watering... whistle

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I like cooking a backstrap "loaf" rather than cooking individual steaks. the steaks can dry out so easy & toughen up but if you cook like half or a third of a strap while then slice it & it's just a little pink in the middle, wow, that's good stuff!

I like to hit em with a little smoke too & sometimes I'll marinate the whole loaf for half a week or so before i start.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Muffy
That's funny, we were talking about the clothing line this weekend. I believe it will happen!

Will the blaze orange jackets come mud stained already, or will we have to add our own. grin

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
You might have to roll in your own mud.

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They come without mud stains. You can special order it with them. But it will take longer to get because they have to sit of a wood pile for a few days. grin

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool story on the doe. But I'm going to buy you a rope for next year. It's much easier than a belt....trust me. smile

After not seing much sign in the WI northwoods, I'll be happy to take a doe. I need to dirty that knive for Jelky.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Tell us aging how they get like that. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well first you have to walk into a big mud puddle. Then you have to keep sinking. Then you just sit down so you don't sink anymore. Wait for someone to take your beer to safety. When they do, they come back and pull you out. Get back to camp, lay the clothing on the wood pile. It is best for them to bask in the sun for a few days.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Are you going to make it back to the swamp for the last season Tzone? see what happens when you dont come, they start shooting deers all over. not sure if they'll let you come back...bribes are good though.

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yeah, I'm probably banned.

I figured that would happen. I have that effect on camp. I leave and the deer come out. You see, my mear presence makes those deer scared, they know I'm out there lurking somewhere, rubber boots and velcro gloves at the ready. smile

No, I won't be up for the last weekend. Our opener here is this coming saturday.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
thats too bad, been getting those crapolades a run. nice, smooth cocktail for after the hunt! we got another 8pt yesterday morning. the deer have kinda disappeared out in our neighbor hood. A neighboring camp by us did get a 12pt friday. nice deer too!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
They're disapearing because you're shooting them all. grin

You guys are doing well. Did anyone take the buck pool from Lester yet?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Muffy
Well first you have to walk into a big mud puddle. Then you have to keep sinking. Then you just sit down so you don't sink anymore. Wait for someone to take your beer to safety. When they do, they come back and pull you out. Get back to camp, lay the clothing on the wood pile. It is best for them to bask in the sun for a few days.

Think this is the same process that they use to make stink bait for carp. grin

Think the Chickenbuck line of clothes and gear would be a winner. Just the campfire members alone could keep the interprise afloat.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
lester still got the lead at our camp with his, 2 others weighed in at 164 and 160 so there all small young bucks. the bad part is he has to pay the camp fine of less than 8pts which we charge 50 that goes into our camp fund. so he may not get so much out of the contest this year. but its all to try and get bigger and better bucks.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
is poor lester gonna break even anyways? grin

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Guys, I got no time, but thought I would pop in quickly. I have to go to Las Vegas for work tomorrow for 3 days. never been there. Dont think I will like it much, but we will see.

Now for a teaser....my 14 year old brother Brian, shot a really nice 9 point buck on Sunday afternoon. A good story to boot that involves patience, a track star, a really, really long shot (CBF at 500? ahh, that's nothing...wait til you hear this one), and out-thinking the king of the woods.

I will get the details up as soon as i can. Until then....hasta la pasta!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Page 272 of 1,842 1 2 270 271 272 273 274 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 21, 54 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,457
Posts18,489,764
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.