Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Owned all 3. Duramax motor meltdown at 100k - - bad head gaskets and my suspicion is they were never installed properly at factory as it was an 05 and there were several with this problem. Allison transmission and rest of truck were really pretty nice.

Ford - old 7.3 powerstroke. The new ones are terrible. Ford dealer TOLD me not to buy one as they ALL were coming back with problems.

2008 Dodge cummins - - if you want a grocery getter buy GM. If you want a diesel pickup buy the Dodge. Trust me no duramax stock is gonna touch the new 6.7 motor. Tranny not an allison but with updated programming from Dodge I'm very happy with its performance. Mine runs with about 2500lbs in the bed all the time and I don't mess around and have had zero problems with dpf.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Longbob
Hemi,

You may not have seen my post on another thread, but I was asking if you know the ETA of the new 2010 HD 3500? I would have thought they would be on the dealer lots by now since we are getting so close to 2010.

Yes, they are on dealer lots in limited quantitiy- at least ut here in the mountain area. I have not gotten my first one yet (Several phone calls to my district manager and still none) I have about 17 at the railhead I am waiting for.
Did you see the 2010 HD got Truck of the Year from Motor Trend already?

Hemi

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by D2Junky
Owned all 3. Duramax motor meltdown at 100k - - bad head gaskets and my suspicion is they were never installed properly at factory as it was an 05 and there were several with this problem. Allison transmission and rest of truck were really pretty nice.

Ford - old 7.3 powerstroke. The new ones are terrible. Ford dealer TOLD me not to buy one as they ALL were coming back with problems.

2008 Dodge cummins - - if you want a grocery getter buy GM. If you want a diesel pickup buy the Dodge. Trust me no duramax stock is gonna touch the new 6.7 motor. Tranny not an allison but with updated programming from Dodge I'm very happy with its performance. Mine runs with about 2500lbs in the bed all the time and I don't mess around and have had zero problems with dpf.

The 2500lbs in the bed at all times probably helps out in keeping the truck running at a higher work load- which for a diesel is good.
That 6.7L is a pulling machine- I don't understand why people try and mod them at the risk of doing damage and voiding warranty. Stock, that truck will pull a mountain.

Hemi

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm reminded of an earlier statement that alot of people own diesel trucks and don't even own a trailer ball... crazy

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
I'm reminded of an earlier statement that alot of people own diesel trucks and don't even own a trailer ball... crazy

See this all the time where I live.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I see more than my fair share of those around here but for the most part they are all getting some work. Mostly pulling cattle trailers. In my area Dodge has taken over the diesel truck segment from Ford and GM be it tow vehicle or work truck. Ford was king until they nixed the 7.3 and introduced all their other abominations.

And yes....the 2500lb do give it a little to work against. Have no desire to mod as it will move along just fine and I have the tickets to show it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a BONE STOCK 1991 Dodge 3/4 ton with 12valve 5.9 Cummins .It has 200K+ and still pulls like a train and gets 17-19mpg in town and 23-25mpg on high way depending on my speed.The only thing I do to it is add 1QT of SEA30 Oil to the fuel on every fill up and plug her in when it gets cold.This morning I went out and started it for the first time in 2weeks and it was 15 degrees out and it fired right up and still blew NO SMOKE.I love this old truck. GO WITH A DODGE

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ppfd

Kind of like that old saying: "All hat and no cattle" wink

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ken458
Originally Posted by ppfd

Kind of like that old saying: "All hat and no cattle" wink

I saw a "dude" one time pull up in his jacked up 1-ton, with queer stacks coming out of the bed no less at a corner store. I said in a friendly but sarcastic manner, "man, I bet it's a pain getting your gooseneck jacked up high enough".

I kid you not, the moron looked me right in the eye and asked "whats a gooseneck?". I propably would have fell down laughing but I was so floored that this "cowboy" didn't even know what the [bleep] I was talking about.

Bill

Last edited by tx270; 12/15/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SouthPawShooter73
I have a BONE STOCK 1991 Dodge 3/4 ton with 12valve 5.9 Cummins .It has 200K+ and still pulls like a train and gets 17-19mpg in town and 23-25mpg on high way depending on my speed.The only thing I do to it is add 1QT of SEA30 Oil to the fuel on every fill up and plug her in when it gets cold.This morning I went out and started it for the first time in 2weeks and it was 15 degrees out and it fired right up and still blew NO SMOKE.I love this old truck. GO WITH A DODGE

I would rather have a sister in a hore house then own a dodge.

WANT TO BUY 22-250 AI BRASS PM ME WITH WHAT YA GOT AND HOW MUCH THANKS.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerhunterjj

Now THAT'S FUNNY!!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

If you were smart enough to own a Dodge then maybe you'd be able to spell whore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Whats her name & where does she work? smile

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

R
R
Well I see my first post here a campfire will not die!!!!

I do not know what 2010 will bring for pick-ups but I do know this we as comsumers are asking "WAY" to much out of them. They will pull/hotrod way beond their means..

I am the one that posted what a 'REAL "TRUCK" LOOKS LIKE' and a real truck has 10x24.5 tires 13spd. trans and a lot of fiberglass and alum. to cut weight

But in the same token I am guilty in asking my Duramax pick- up to do what a "real" truck should do and have "Real" breaks to stop the load. I pull with my duramax a 25' gooseneck flat trailer... 2500 gal. of water 300 gal of round-up, pumps fittings hoses gas cones with a grand total weight (GVW)of around 52,000 pounds its my water wagon for farming. With that being said it kinda makes stocktrailers and boats look insignifigant. I have pulled them all and nothing puts more power to the ground than chevrolet bar none... Now we can sit here all day and chew the fat about who has and dont have// and that melting pistons thing??? operator error / fluke??? What I am saying is its rare when you here of a "ANY" modern diesel pick up melting down.

This is the last post I will file on this thead because nothing more needs to be said. Merry Christmas and have a nice day.

rafter-7

Last edited by rafter-7; 12/19/09.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would rather meet deerhunterjj's sister in a horehouse than try to pull 52k with my pickup.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
These are the kind of fuggin idiots you meet on the road pulling that kind of weight. Just plain stoopid. Hope you never have to stop. You wreck with someone you deserve to get your butt sued so bad for pure neglagence. Then when their truck fails- for no fault of their own (ha!), it's blah blah blah what a piece of crap.
Had a guy tell me once how he pulls 45,000 lbs with his truck all the time and "if you know what your doing it can be done". I told him he obviously didn't know what he was doing.

Hemi

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
45000 is what I pull with my class 8 truck, and I get nervous with it on heavy slopes or in traffic, and there's a LOT more brakes on that trailer..... JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dutch, you sound like a safe driver. I've watched people drive trucks and trucks with trailers down hills and ride the brakes, with no thought whatsoever to gearing down or slowing down because of the weight. I've also seen them shoot right through stopsigns because their brakes were so hot they couldn't stop. I used to think God would sort it out, but he never did. They still live and breed.
Some people could learn to drive by being taught with normal methods and some needed to have accidents/near accidents to make it sink in. I told my kids the most important thing to remember was to never drive faster than you can stop if something happens...and it will. Today, they are all good drivers.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now thats some funny SH*%

S
S
I work on these trucks for a living, and melted motors is a current thing. The older engines only melted down if you had a cooling nozzle plug from foreign matter, or being overfueled. Melting down was very rare except for those two conditions.

The new engines melt because of injector issues - not just Dodge, but Chevy and Ford as well. They share a very similar fuel system. I also see engines destroyed by these new injectors malfunctioning and filling the crankcase with fuel. It does not take long for an engine to have the viscosity of diesel in the crankcase lubricating critical parts.

My idea of the perfect pickup is a 2010 Dodge for the interior comfort with a 98 12 valve engine. I like the 180hp fuel injection pump best. Then with a NV5600 6 speed manual, 271 transfer case. A Dana 80 Dodge rear axle and a Dana 60 Ford front axle.

I still have my 2000 Dodge with 400,000 miles. It serves as a work truck towing everything from my 10 foot ATV trailer to my 45 foot gooseneck(53 foot total length) and everything in between trailers all over the US. It also served as my family vehicle for many years as well as a pretty fun toy capable of running high 12's in the quarter.

I just sold my 04.5 Dodge with 150,000 miles. It was a good truck, just need a new family vehicle to seat more kids. I just picked up a Chrysler Aspen. I am thinking about building a 392 HEMI for it, but I may just leave it stock for awhile.

Last edited by SmokinGun; 12/24/09.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,411
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.