-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried one from Gander Mountain real similar to mikes mountain sling it works great and is about $15. decent sling swivels.....oh forgot it has the sticky leather rubber type stuff sewn on the back.

Last edited by raybass; 11/19/09. Reason: added

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Slamo dunk no contest the Uncle Mikes Mtn sling is the way to go!

Dober

Yup.

3.5 oz's and doesn't slide on the shoulder.

Except its not a sling...

Its a carrying strap.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the Safari Sling from Trader Keith. It is very attractive canvas with the buckles and fasteners being leather and brass. The sling has neoprene strips sewn into it to avoid slipping. The sling does not stretch and allows for a very good hasty sling to shoot. The sling is also easy to roll up and put in your pocket when you go through the bush.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I was a Brownell's Latigo sling guy, for years. Then I bought a Vero Vellini sling, and never bought another Latigo, or any other kind of sling.
The Vero Vellini slings are very light, and have far better shoulder width, and sling backing, than any other sling I've tried. The Vero Vellini holds the rifle at whatever position I want it to be in.
I have three Vero's that I move around from rifle to rifle.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Slamo dunk no contest the Uncle Mikes Mtn sling is the way to go!

Dober

Yup.

3.5 oz's and doesn't slide on the shoulder.

Except its not a sling...

Its a carrying strap.

It's only "not a sling" if you don't consider a "hasty sling" a valid method of using a sling.

I do, so consider it a sling.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Well Nelson, since you picked up the Boonie, what do you think so far?
Field use is obviously the big test, but intial impressions? Did I steer you wrong?

N
Nelson Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Thanks everybody for the replies. Lots of good information to be gathered. What I was looking for was a newer lightweight sling as the couple I have been using for the past 25+ years are heavy duty leather. They work fine but unfortunately don't adjust to be taught along belly of the rifle when going in the safe. Because the safe is over capacity they needed to come off and on each time otherwise they reach out and grab everything along their path. Well I forgot to grab a sling one too many times. I was in town the evening triggergaurd1 posted about the Boonie Packer. Checked the local Bi-Mart and picked one up. Seems like a good product fit for purpose. Was less than $13.00, so very inexpensive. It adjusts readily and easily pulls taught against the rifle for in the safe storage. Seems to grip real well to the shoulder. Have yet to try in the field but that will change over the weekend. As for the sling swivels. They are designed so there is no way they will come off in the field. I had a bit of trouble getting them on as you have have them just right or they won't work. This is what would keep them from coming off inadvertantly. For the cost they seem to be a good product that will last for years and at the price can outfit numerous rifles for minimal cost. I think I will like it once I get a chance to really use it. Cruising through the family room with a rifle slung was annoying the wife.

Thanks, Nelson

Last edited by Nelson; 11/20/09.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Call me a fortune teller, but I had a hunch that's how that would go down.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I like those cheap as chips $4 straps from Walmart. Bought my first one 15 years ago and it looks like it was bought this morning.

The plastic bag they put it in probably weighs more than the strap.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
I
IAK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I have used the butler creek neoprene and just bought a Claw. I much prefer the Claw. Light, grippy as all gets out, a good width, I like how I can adjust it with one hand, and I like the Hushstalker swivels.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Call it "old school", but I like a M1 carbine cotton web sling on my hunting rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cur dog
Call it "old school", but I like a M1 carbine cotton web sling on my hunting rifle.

Nothing wrong with that or an M1 but neither is something I'd particularly want to hunt in the mtn's with.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,857
Posts18,497,077
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.