Print Thread
Hop To
S
seeker Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I built a 6x8 elevated box blind on my KS farm. What kind of heater(no electric current) would provide some heat without much odor or most important, much sound? I don't need it super warm in the blind but KS can get to zero or below and just want to take the edge off the cold. The blind is about 75 yards from a deep, wooded cut with a clearing and about 200 yards from a food plot.

Thanks, Seeker

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have used the Mr. Heater Portable Buddy type heaters for some years in our enclosed blinds in cold weather. They are quiet, don't have much smell (unless the propane is leaking) and do a decent job to heat. They are safe for indoor use as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+2 for the mr heater portables, you woyld be hard pressed to find anything better, although I have heard about charcoal in a coffee can with some sand in the bottom or something, but the mr heater is way better. quick to heat up, and cool down when you shut it off. gives off good heat, its adjustable and are pretty inexpensive

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Charcoal can cause carbon dioxide to build up! Unless you are leaving the windows open, don't go that route.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would agree on the Mr Heater. They are rated for indoor use which is a good thing and they work well. Some have had issues with the early models at high elevation, but you wont have any issues in KS. When I used to hunt the Kaw River duck hunting, one of those Mr Heaters would have been great. As it was, we used Peach flavored Snoppes.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My heating system consists of a Mr. Big Buddy heater and a twenty pound LP cylinder. Changing the one pound bottles can be a PIA. The connection hose is avl at Tractor Supply for cheap.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't forget the buddy filter with that large propane source!!

All American

All the time
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by duckster
Charcoal can cause carbon dioxide to build up! Unless you are leaving the windows open, don't go that route.

That's actually a good warning for the propane heaters as well. Anything that doesn't have a chimney will cause CO2 to build up. (just not as fast as charcoal, as charcoal is more or less pure carbon, while the propane molecule has 8 hydrogen atoms) Your blind will need to be well vented.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Real men suck it up and dress for the weather!
Microwave and flat screen with satellite too?
whistle

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
S
seeker Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks, guys for all the help. I am going to go with the Mr. Heater Buddy, as suggested. It sounds like just what I need.

Seeker

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dont even mess around- get one of these .sport cat heater. makes almost no sound, 1 lb cylinder lasts me all season.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5035A750&categoryid=3000

[Linked Image]

Last edited by fluffy; 11/23/09.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you have windows, you need a good vent because the moisture in the exhaust instantly frosts the inside of the windows (learned this the hard way...). Infrared heaters can also burn anything the "sunshine" sees so avoid pointing it at your black rifle stock or boots.

I've heard of guys using camping stove burners on a large cast iron griddle or steel plate in the floor to have a "heated floor" that keeps your feet warm.

Personally, the disposable hand and foot warmers take care of my cold spots and I dress for the cold otherwise. Always remember your heat seat!

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by fluffy
dont even mess around- get one of these .sport cat heater. makes almost no sound, 1 lb cylinder lasts me all season.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5035A750&categoryid=3000

[Linked Image]

Hey that's slick! never seen one before. I'm going to look for those.

I don't use heaters but some in our group would really like that.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always used a Mr Buddy type heater in my pop-ups. This year I built a wooden blind that fits in my little 6 1/2' x 12' trailer. I have a NIB propane bathroom vent free wall heater that I've had for several years, but never used. Over Thanksgiving, I am going to mount that heater on the wall next to my door in the blind. The small grill type tank will sit outside in the back of the trailer. It's a tough life.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You may have made your purchase already but I recommend the Coleman BlackCat. I just picked one up for ice-fishing. It's silent, odorless and fairly easy to carry (though a bit bulky if you're far from the truck). Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...amp;pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Hey that's slick! never seen one before. I'm going to look for those.

I don't use heaters but some in our group would really like that.

I got mine at fleet farm.I have never used a heater before either,but getting older ,and having chronically cold fingers was ruining my hunting.With this item,I dont even need to wear gloves,and I can heat my lunch ,too.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know, but I just can't relate to having a heater with me while hunting.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (160user, 44mc, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 6mmCreedmoor, 11 invisible), 12,176 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,028
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.