Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Doc_Nonverbal
When guns are shipped FFL to FFL, they can be shipped USPS Priority, which saves money and makes your guns that much more attractive. A reasonable price for shipping is anywhere between $20 and $35.

Same holds true for when a gun is shipped from a private citizen to an FFL.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think "time" would be the determining factory.If you have time for it,sell them yourself.If not and it's a large number,(pieces or dollars),sell it to a honest dealer and put the money where ever it needs to go. Let them have the worry on the risk:legal buyers,bad checks,etc...That's how they stay in business.
Not everyone wants stangers coming to their castle or the world knowing they have guns in the house....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by Calhoun
When guns are shipped FFL to FFL, they can be shipped USPS Priority, which saves money and makes your guns that much more attractive. A reasonable price for shipping is anywhere between $20 and $35.

Same holds true for when a gun is shipped from a private citizen to an FFL.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe USPS priority can only be used FFL to FFL. A private citizen may ship a firearm to a FFL only via second day air, provided a copy of the person's driver's license is included.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I sold a gun earlier this year that I shipped USPS. I shipped to an FFL and brought a copy of the FFL license with me to the post office. Alot cheaper then UPS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Welcome to the forum.
They can be consigned with dealers.

That would be the exact way NOT to sell them if you want any money........

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where in Michigan?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Handguns cannot be shipped by a private individual to anyone via USPS. An FFL dealer "or his agent" can ship handguns via USPS.

Long arms can legally be shipped from a non-licensed individual to an FFL via USPS. USPS is my preferred carrier in fact.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe USPS priority can only be used FFL to FFL. A private citizen may ship a firearm to a FFL only via second day air, provided a copy of the person's driver's license is included.[/quote]

This is incorrect. Ship it well packed, follow the instructions on GunBroker.com and you will be fine. You can ship long guns USPS Priority, legally,to an FFL holder. Just don't try to ship ammunition or handguns via US Postal Service.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
there's nothing wrong with a dealer making profit. they have to eat to.

that being said, sell them individually here on the 'fire. price them 10% below the cheapest one you can find that has SOLD on gunbroker and buy a bunch of packing tape!

Last edited by smalljawbasser; 11/20/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Welcome to the forum.
They can be consigned with dealers.

That would be the exact way NOT to sell them if you want any money........

I would sell the guns through dealers. My primary reasons are that I don't want strangers knowing that I have guns available or them even coming to my house or knowing me. Another reason is the liability of it. With a dealer they have resposibility if the buyer does something wrong with a firearm. The dealer here also checks with the state with a live instant check.

This is worth far far more to me than 18%. Besides the dealers that I know will ask and get more than what I might. I have another rifle for sale with my local dealer now. Its a SS M70 Classic in 7mm WSM in good shape with the factory stock. We are asking $545 and that was his suggestion on the price. His commission will be %18 or about $100. So what! I dropped $73 on dinner last night and another $45 on gas. I looked at a Parker for $795.

Its only money and no worries.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
With respect to sending all guns through the USPS, not all are alike. Even though they have the same "rule book", many postmasters make up their own. My 3 closest post offices will NOT allow any long guns, not to even mention handguns sent through their offices by a private citizen.
So you may get that figured out first as you do your research. So UPS gets my business and the bankrupt Post Office goes deeper in the hole.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/21/09.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Understandable concern. So don't sell them locally. Use GB and this site. You are not unduly exposed selling through either site, don't lose a large percentage to a dealer for handling the consignments, etc. Just don't try to sell them all in one week. List only as many as you can reasonably handle in any given period.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I had a problem with my local postmistress refusing to accept a long gun for shipping, so I wrote the USPS Inspector General. I received a reply which stated that you may ship long guns via the USPS, and in certain instances, individuals may also ship handguns. The Domestic Mail Manual, which you can view on line, is their rule book.

If anyone would like a copy of the letter, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll forward it to you as an Adobe file.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guys, Shipping the guns is not a problem. Gene is considering sell his collection and was thinking of auction to sell them and I suggested that he may want to look at posting them here. He has some real nice stuff that is very collectible. Thanks Del

Last edited by Onpoint; 11/21/09.

GA precision all day long
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SU35
PM me a list and I'll help you out.

PM me first! wink

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks for all the help Del and all the others on here what a great site! Gene

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It doesn't supprise me at all to see Del's name mentioned here. He's at least 120% good guy! Please post a list. laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hello Gene,

My advice is to check the listings on GunBroker - not the current items for sale, but check the auctions that have completed in the last 90 days. This will give you a good idea what things are selling for, rather than the ridiculous prices that some are asking. The Blue Book is probably not an accurate guide this late in the year. The real prices of guns are best determined by completed sales.

I agree with the others that suggest that you sell them yourself. One caveat I would make is to get to know a local FFL, maybe a gunsmith, who can handle the shipping for you at a nominal cost. When guns are shipped FFL to FFL, they can be shipped USPS Priority, which saves money and makes your guns that much more attractive. A reasonable price for shipping is anywhere between $20 and $35.

If you don't already have one, pick up a digital camera. From what I've seen, the best way to take photos is outside on a partly cloudy day. Nice photos will help sell your guns. You can upload the photos to a site like Photobucket and post the links in forums.

One last bit of advice is to sell the guns on forums like this one. You can quickly get a solid reputation as a good seller and you won't lack for sales. There are other sites as well - please feel free to e-mail me and I'll help you as much as I can.

Of course the really nice part about selling the firearms yourself is that you'll have the opportunity to make some new friends. I've been very fortunate in this regard.

Best wishes in this endeavor,

David Martin
[email protected]

Best advice yet!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
PM sent.

Your life is made of two dates and a dash. Make the most of the dash.

Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are going to sell and ship these yourself, be prepared with enough quality boxes and shipping materials to do it in a
well protected manner.
Also be prepared to send them out timely, as you know how each
buyer is awaiting his purchase.
This is a lot of work, working with FFL and such.

Someone mentioned its like a second job. Or sell some in groups
and do some again later.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 257_X_50, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 44 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,204
Posts18,503,801
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.