-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a Colt Police Positive Special that is so far out of time it frequently misfires because the cylinder often doesn't rotate all the way to lockup until the hammer drops. (The hammer loses energy because it has to turn the cylinder several degrees).

Its been at a gunsmith for several weeks. The hand doesn't look especially worn but is extremely short and he isn't even sure its the correct one for this gun. He can't seem to locate a new one.

Numrich lists a used one but I am wary of putting in what may be a worn out part. I talked to Colt and they wouldn't tell me whether they had a hand for it. They want me to send them the revolver before they will tell me if they have a part in stock.

Does anyone here have a good/new hand for it or does anyone know where I might find one?

Thanks

Jim

GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I am of course unable to diagnose over the internet, but you might check into it a bit more. Colt double actions time differently than S&W. They will not carry-up until the trigger is fully to the rear. This part of the timing is controlled by length of the secondary hook on the hand, so the hand must be in its uppermost position for the cylinder to index. Smith carry up is controlled by the thickness of the hand and comes to battery before the hammer drops off.

Another thought....if the hammer is dropping off the double-action fly too soon due to wear or fouling, it might cause similar symptoms...

Last edited by Jim Dubell; 11/24/09.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the info. I guess the secondary hook on the hand is the lower one. (?) Its definitely part of the problem. It never gets near the ratchet. I've never fired the gun so I can't say what it does in double action. My brother has fired it a few times but only in single action. If you pull the hammer back quickly enough, the cylinder's momentum will cause it to revolve enough to lock up. If you pull it back slow, there's no mechanical contact between the hand and the ratchet for the last few degrees so it doesn't revolve far enough to lock. That's why the 'smith thinks it may be the wrong hand that's in there.

Unfortunately, I don't have it here to look at although I did study it enough to know that the lower hook on the hand never touches the ratchet.

I may just buy a used one from Numrich. If the gun has the wrong one in it at least we'll know. It would be hard for it to be any worse.

Thanks again & have a great Thanksgiving!

Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Send the Colt to a pistolsmith. There are amazing things one can do to correct timing even with a worn hand. A skilled pistolsmith can build the surfaces of the hands to correct timing issues. I have a few Colt hands on the premises but do not have them labeled. I would need the gun to check the fit. If indeed I had the correct one. You might try the folks at www.jackfirstgun.com, they have old Colt parts from time to time.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'll give them a call 1st thing Monday Morning.

Thanks for the help!

Jim

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (19rabbit52, 222Sako, 308xray, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 39 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,643
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.