Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What about the rifle weight issue with this caliber?

You see it from 6 1/2 pounds .. (synethic stocks) to mid weight (?? 7 3/4 -8 Pounds) to heavier ones (9+ pounds) like CZ Safari magnum.

open sights vs. just the scope option?

GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Africa guns tend to be heavy, Alaska guns tend to be short and light.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Aside from loose tigers, any rifle loony who never owns and hunts with a .375 H&H has led an incomplete life.

True..... smile Fabulous cartridge!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aside from loose tigers, any rifle loony who never owns and hunts with a .375 H&H has led an incomplete life.

Which is why I'll be 15 feet up a white oak 30 minutes before sunrise tomorrow with my Ruger No. 1 Tropical. If I bash a whitetail with this storied round in the morning I can smile smugly at the in-laws' holiday foolishness in the p.m., knowing I have achieved a loony milestone.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Would you suggest 375 H&H or 375 Ruger ?

IC B2

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I've wanted one for a long time. I've got a line on a dandy 375 RUM though but the seller isn't quite ready yet. I feel like I really need one bad!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mdjamesh
Would you suggest 375 H&H or 375 Ruger ?

Either one.I like the H&H,cause I have them already and have for years.Makes no sense to change out now.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D

I have to agree with Mule Deer!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok You guys are wearing me down with your positive comments lol ..I might have to add one to my safe..

Open sights vs. scope ??

Weight/ recoil ?? I understand lighter ones might kick alot more vs something with more heft. A 6 pound savage vs. a 7 1/2 pound Remington vs. a 9 + pound CZ Safari. Is there really that "big" of difference?

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SoTexasH

Open sights vs. scope ??

Both!

And to reiterate Bobs vote for the .375 H&H...it has the "cool" factor cool

That being said...if you are really going to hunt the gun, I mean REALLY...I'd get the Ruger...
The first one of those I saw come into the shop, I waited for Mule Deer to come in, handed it to him and said... " Here...If I had it to do all over again...I'd do it with this rifle.."

He bought it!

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
It is a classic that has worked well for almost 100 years.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It is a surprisingly good deer caliber, use 300 gr. bullets and it kills them like the rug was jerked out from under them most of the time, sometimes they run a bit, but will leave a big blood trail..

You can eat right up to the bullet hole and get away from all that blood shot meat..We use the big bores as opposed the smaller bores to collect camp meat in all our African camps.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised as to what a nice caliber it is, but only if you can handle the recoil and that may or may not take some getting used to..but most folks can adapt to recoil with a little practice..I don't even notice recoil anymore until I get to the 458 Lott and up..

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
STH, my current 375 is the Ruger cartridge in an Alaskan, but I've had and shot a couple of 375 H&Hs. The Alaskan's short and handy and fairly light for a 375 shooting 300 grain bullets.

All that said, I plan to have in my future a wood-stocked 375 H&H for many of the reasons already expressed here, mostly personal preference for classic mediums - it spells Africa. However, I won't get rid of the Ruger because if I have a chance to walk the Alaskan subcontinent again in bear country, where the weather is nasty, the SS synthetic rifle will be with me.

On the weight topic, a 9 lb 375 is OK for me, if the stock is slim and the rifle lively. The stock style and rifle balance of the Ruger African comes to mind. But this is easily duplicated in a 375 H&H. So it seems, loonie's choice. smile

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SoTexasH
I have been thinking about getting one..Not really sure why,
??? Well, BECAUSE, of COURSE!! If ya ain't got one, you NEED one..

Heheheeee.. I think I have four, maybe five.. Gotta ensure there's enough power for them striped gophers, ya know.. You should see the furrow left behind the body!! WOW.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What are Rules #1 and #2 of rifle loonies? I have rule #3 covered. I bought last spring a CZ550 Safari Magnum in 375 H&H. Topped it with a VX-II 3x9x40. Yes, it's heavy, but the recoil is minimal. I'm 6'2" and 160lb and recoil doesn't bother me. I've put a box through it on an evening range session and no flinching or soreness. The Pachmayr pads also helps. Only work I've done to mine is adjust the creep out of the trigger. My best 3 shot group at 100yds is .91" outer rim to outer rim using Hornday HM 270gr boolits.

Here's the link to my post showing the picture of my shot group.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...64505/Saturday_Range_Session#Post3464505

Hope to see pictures of your new one soon. grin

Last edited by Heeler; 11/27/09. Reason: added link

He went over yonder way
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RULE #1 Must have a .30,best if vintage..

RULE #2 Must have a 6.5 or .257 BOB...

We should write these down,I forget...
I do know, I have bought a rifle because I had a scope mount once!

Last edited by rifle; 11/27/09.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by atkinson
It is a surprisingly good deer caliber, use 300 gr. bullets and it kills them like the rug was jerked out from under them most of the time, sometimes they run a bit, but will leave a big blood trail..

You can eat right up to the bullet hole and get away from all that blood shot meat..We use the big bores as opposed the smaller bores to collect camp meat in all our African camps.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised as to what a nice caliber it is, but only if you can handle the recoil and that may or may not take some getting used to..but most folks can adapt to recoil with a little practice..I don't even notice recoil anymore until I get to the 458 Lott and up..

Hi Ray,

I found your view on 300 grain projectiles interesting, particularly for deer.

While I�ve had several 375 H&H Magnums for some time, I�ve shelved my favorite .338WM deer rifle(s) and spent the last two years specifically shooting the 375�s on large deer. In this time I�ve only used factory ammunition i.e. Federal Power-Shok (300gr SP). While these loads work well, I cannot help but feel that a well constructed 235, 250, 260 or 270gr projectile might be better suited to this task, particularly at extended ranges. What do you think?

As for recoil, I certainly find the 375 H&H very enjoyable to shoot.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Do these qualify for Rule 1 and Rule 2 ??? If so I had better get working on rule 3 ..lol

I have 3 vintage military rifles hanging on my den wall and they are all shooters. WW2 Russian Nag..... (.30 cal), WW2 German 8mm Mauser and a WWI Swedish 6.5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep...that's a start..Did you buy one because you had the bayonet or a die set?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No real reason .. The Russian came with a bayonet.. I got them for good prices the past 2-3 years and they look great on the wall with a late 1800's double barrel and a black willow staff that was hand made by a relative before he died.

I will probably get a couple of more someday if the prices are right.. Time will tell.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (22kHornet, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 1234, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,069
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.