Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by oldman1942

If you've never fondled an R 1 you should. It handles like a fine 20 bore shotgun.

Are you saying the monster feels light? And from the photo, the safety appears to be ahead of the trigger, do you have to take your hand off of the grip to operate the safety?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Youse guys remind me of a a fellow in the 60's buying Mercedes in a neighborhood full of Fords and Chevys. Are you going to show it or shoot it? I wouldn't want to post a pic of my go to shotgun. It's a 26" Win X2 12ga 3 1/2"mag with matt finish and a butt ugly black syn stock, but it shoots any 12ga shell that I put in it.

Congrats oldman on that nice wood. Life is good.

Last edited by croldfort; 11/23/09.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Must have been lousy weather in alot of places yesterday...
This thread reminds me of the story about the blind guys describing an elephant. smile
I like the model with the Comfort-Tech stock that reduces recoil by design and material application. Pretty new thinking there. I think I'll buy one and see for myself how they work, now that they seem to have the bugs worked out of them.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by safariman

Example - had a 22-250AI with a really nice aluminum bedding block kevlar stock and sold that stock to get a VLS laminated stock that it now wears. Many would scoff, but I like it. My heavy bench gun has a pretty stock with a (GASP!) thumbhole in it! It came that way and is gorgeous so in my safe it stays. It was 'gear of the year' back in the early 60's when it was built as a benchrest rifle and BR guns had nice wood on them.

What idiot would own a 22-250AI in a wood stock??? Morons each and everyone! wink

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I hate to keep saying it, but one wonders how many of the experts sounding off have ever REALLY owned a R-1 and shot it A LOT, like my early bringback 300 Win Mag that must have all the "defects" cited but has digested 300+ rounds from 125-200 gr, factory, NECK sized handloads, single load and from the magazine, has never been cleaned other than a Hoppes Bore Snake and yet has never malfunctioned and shoots better groups now than when new.

Just like a Timex...takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
(You "utes" can ask Grandpa about John Cameron Swayze)

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
oldman ... my comments were directed at Safariman, as I know of another wood stocked 22-250AI .... Thought that was clear ... sorry for any misunderstanding.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah..... GEORGE has one too!!!! A fantastic looking Mk V Weatherby no less!

My point, and his as well I think, was each of us has his own idea's about what kinds of rifles get us going. As for me I would not care if I never saw another rifle that looked like someone melted a bowling ball and made a rifle stock out of it. BUT, some like such fugly things so off they go to play with their toys and off go I with my pretty wood to have fun with mine. Enjoy your Benelli and go kill some stuff with it.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I hate to keep saying it, but one wonders how many of the experts sounding off have ever REALLY owned a R-1 and shot it A LOT, like my early bringback 300 Win Mag that must have all the "defects" cited but has digested 300+ rounds from 125-200 gr, factory, NECK sized handloads, single load and from the magazine, has never been cleaned other than a Hoppes Bore Snake and yet has never malfunctioned and shoots better groups now than when new.

Just like a Timex...takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
(You "utes" can ask Grandpa about John Cameron Swayze)

Conservatively I shot over 200 rounds of various factory ammunition through the 20" 30-06 that I owned for about 5 months.

If Bennelli would send me a new one in 30-06 to evaluate I would certainly consider it again and probably buy it if they fixed the problems.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hmm, think that works out to about one shot a day...you really flogged it.

Jimmy I hate to break it to you but Benelli probably doesn't have you on their short list of published firearms testers.

You might want to check out what a writer who is actually PAID to render opinions has to say:

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/benellirq_062907/index2.html

Unless "jimmy" is Craig Boddington in disguise.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"the safety appears to be ahead of the trigger"

Stray Dog you better stay away from the pound!

As I recall the world's finest battle rifle in WW II, the M-1 Garand in case you missed it, had the safety guess where?
How about the M-1 Carbine? Gee those guys were all dummies!

It is far more natural to depress a safe and move back to the trigger than the opposite.

I gotta love all these experts who have never shot a R-1, (or an M-1 or Carbine for that matter) to "know" what is right and wrong! (I hold USA Expert with both the M-1 and Carbine)

Only a tang safety is superior as it is natural to release when mounting the gun.

Nightforce 2.5-10 will be here Friday... you could buy a dozen 870s (with the safe behind the trigger) for what this rig will cost but a guy focused on safety location would never get it anyway.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
oldman1942,
Is that why you want a semi auto to remind you of combat rifles?
I'm obviously younger because the M14 is what we used in my day, but I wouldn't want to take one hunting.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hmm, think that works out to about one shot a day...you really flogged it.

Jimmy I hate to break it to you but Benelli probably doesn't have you on their short list of published firearms testers.

You might want to check out what a writer who is actually PAID to render opinions has to say:

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/benellirq_062907/index2.html

Unless "jimmy" is Craig Boddington in disguise.

The first NRA article on the R1 is what promted me to buy the rifle, and its pretty easy to call BS on much gun rag crap these days.

I shot the gun conservativly 200 rounds, but its been a while. Shooting 30-40 rounds at a session from a single rifle seems a fair shake to me. It went back to the factory and they did nothing, that seems like a fair shake to me as well. Benelli makes fine shotguns, I have a few, good luck with your rifle.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am so bored with all gun writers being called paid off liars. Most have shot, hunted and killed more game than any of us will even see in a lifetime.

I'll prefer to listen to them who have "been there, done that" than some internet expert with no professional creditials.

BTW the M 14 had the same safety arrangment as the M-1. What works for killing people, generally works in the much softer conditions of the hunting field. Note the number of ARs now afield. My DPMS Sweet 16 shoots with a bolt gun and having 20 shots on tap is comforting when confronted by a hoard of charging P-dogs!

[Linked Image]

You might like this Merkel better as the safe is behind the trigger. It works fine too and in 9.3x62 will handle about anything I'll ever encounter here in WY.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I do like the Merkel with the safety like a Rem. Shotgun. And the Merkel overall shape is not quite as nightmare inspiring as the Benelli.
Regarding these shotgun companies producing rifles, I'm not sold on their styling.
At least Weatherby rifle company can make a decent looking shotgun.

BTW Happy thanksgivng

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Looks like you aren't getting a lot of love for it here either are you framis....

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
good luck with your rifle

Last edited by jimmyp; 11/26/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW, about the safety. I started hunting upland game with a Sears JC Higgins pump shotgun. I changed to a Rem 1100 when they came out in the 60's. I still prefer the safety ahead of the trigger guard that was on that old Higgins pump, to rear mounted Rem.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
On Weatherby: they don't "make" shotguns. In fact you need a notebook to try and keep up with all the subcontractors who built shotguns for them. As for quality....suggest you subscribe to Gun Tests and see how well they stack up against a Benelli. Haven't seen any government contracts going to WB for combat shotguns or, for that manner any rifles either. But anyone who actually believes that 9 or is it 6 (?) locking lugs make for a better bolt action better not put any WB on a bench against a Savage if there is $ on the table. But I gotta say all those inlays and white line spacers are eye catching...right up there with spinnerbar hubcaps on a weed wacker Civic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are right on about Benelli shotguns. They totally rock.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Go back to stickland, I could care less about your love or you COMPLETE lack of knowledge about R 1s. Haven't they banned them in frogland yet

Little testy about your rifle there aren't you oldman/framis?

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 62 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,707
Posts18,513,889
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.