Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I want to go to a heavier reticle for low light shooting in my VXIII 2.5x8. I am considering the heavy duplex and both of the german reicles. But am especialy interested in the post and duplex reticle. my main question is it heavier than a standard duplex? it appears heavier than the standard duplex but not as heavy as a heavy duplex on leupolds site. the german no 4 is tempying also. any comments from folks who have used these for hunting would be appreciated.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned several Weavers witht the much vaunted tapered post, and it is a very fst reticle. faster than the crosshair? Not really, IMHO. But hey, I am not going to get into an argument - I did try both, and eventually sold off my Post scopes for standard CH's.

I have a Ultralux scope that is a copy of the german WW2 post and I like the CH....but the scope I do not trust, it is a cheapo Ultralux. I also have a vintage Pecar that is new (to me) but I very much like it - it has the very same type reticle as the current Leupys, so much so that am thinking of getting my next Leupy with that very reticle.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I think the post and duplex is just like a duplex reticle without the heavy top posts and the lower three posts are a tad thicker. The German #4 reticle has a wider opening between the heavy posts in the middle of the reticle while the outer posts are even heavier or as heavy as a heavy duplex. I have not seen these in person but have seen pictures online of some shots through peoples scopes with these reticles. I personally want to try out a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 with a POST AND DUPLEX.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got a P&D reticle on one of my scopes. It is almost the same as the Heavy Duplex w/o the heavy top post. I've got a couple of Heavy Duplex equipped scopes as well.
Frankly, I find the Heavy Duplex more useful, anbd not too cluttered.
Like it better than the german 4a design as the thick/thin spacing is more useful for ranging a target, like a deer. It is also very useful for quick hold off, or hold over for the longer range shots.
All of these hold up better in really bad light. Not only that, they seem to be easier to acquire in daylight as well. You might say I'm a fan. E

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the replies fellows!

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
From what I see on Leupold's website the Post and duplex would cost $34.95 to be done. Is this correct? I think that would be a great deal if one would decide to change out reticles. I might try this too 1911, after hunting season.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
To answer my own question this is the cost to add it on to a new scope purchased through the custom shop.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a Weaver with the P&D reticle & it works well. I have several Leupold's with the heavy reticle & they work great for low light hunting. For hunting in heavy cover I could live with either one.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now that I am done deer hunting, I am sending my VX-3 2.5-8 in to Leupold to change the standard duplex to a German #1. I have always likeed heavy reticles since my first scope, a Weaver K4 with a post and crosshair reticle.

Steve

E
E
For what it is worth, I bought a "cheapo" ultralux 6x42 post and cross hair scope for my mosin three years ago. I thought I would give it a try since the scope was around $40. For the last three years I have left my Winchester model 70 3006 at home and hunted with the mosin. I have fell in love with this scope!! I know it is a cheap piece of crap and may explode tomorrow, but the optics are clear, and the 3 post reticle is AWESOME for a hunting rifle. I zeroed the rifle (a model 91/59 carbine) with the $40 scope and Barnaul 203 gn soft point ammo at 175 yards and shot a 2.75" 3 shot group! With my poor eyesight I doubt I could do much better with the model 70. I have been trying to find another Ultralux 6x42 the the german reticle to put back as a spare but have had no luck. Don Jackson

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just got a VX-3 2.5-8x from the Custom Shop a few months ago with the Post & Duplex installed.

I like it. I have other Leup's with the heavy duplex and normal duplex too. I'd say the P&D reticle is just a smidge thinner than the heavy duplex, without the upper verical wide part. The center crosshair thickness is what extends upward in the upper vertical half.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I want to go to a heavier reticle for low light shooting in my VXIII 2.5x8. I am considering the heavy duplex and both of the german reicles. But am especialy interested in the post and duplex reticle. my main question is it heavier than a standard duplex? it appears heavier than the standard duplex but not as heavy as a heavy duplex on leupolds site. the german no 4 is tempying also. any comments from folks who have used these for hunting would be appreciated.

I have the P&D reticle in that very scope and like it a lot. It is thicker than the standard duplex but not as thick as heavy duplex (which I have in my 6x42).

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The post & duplex is about the same thickness in the center as a heavy duplex and has thinner posts than the heavy duplex. The posts on the post & duplex are closer in the center than a heavy duplex.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in a 3X9 Leupold and really like it, especially when the light is fading.

`Bring Enough Gun`

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 10ring1, 222ND, 257 mag, 71 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,574
Posts18,531,982
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.