Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I have to explain the need for a 375 H&H, you wouldn't understand the explanation. lol

NRA Benefactor member
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SoTexasH
No real reason ..

And THAT answers the OPs question.... grin

Like Nike...Just Do It!! laugh

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Exactly

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Took two whitetail bucks this morning with 270 grain Federals.

Too tired to be smug at the in-laws but let one BIL (don't get me wrong, they're all cool dudes) who hunts with a .300 WSM handle a loaded .375 round. As he marveled at its size, I winked and said "kills 'em dead as a .30-30."

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
grin

And does about the same amount of meat damage.... wink

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well, I got Rule #1 covered. Got a circa 1954 Model 94 in 30-30. Will that count??

Rule #2 is on the list. I want a 6.5x55 SE next. Love that round.

Last edited by Heeler; 11/27/09.

He went over yonder way
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In his "Rifles for Africa" (an excellent book, by the way), Gregor Woods remarks that many of his friends in Africa mocked him because of his use of the .375 H&H on plains game. "Why do you use such a large cartridge on antelope?" they often asked.

"Because they fall down when I shoot them," replied Woods.

'Nuff said.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There are really only "two" Rules:

270 Winchester

375H&H and I mean H&H. The Brits have forgotten more about the design of magazine cartridges for dangerous game, than the Americans will ever know.... grin whistle

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH

270 Winchester

375H&H and I mean H&H. The Brits have forgotten more about the design of magazine cartridges for dangerous game, than the Americans will ever know.... grin whistle

True, but American Quality is as good at the very best and considerably cheaper. A man is a man is a man. He is no better than another because of the geographical location of the dirt beneath his feet. That's ego, or to the British, snob value.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

270 Winchester

True, but American Quality is as good at the very best and considerably cheaper. A man is a man is a man. He is no better than another because of the geographical location of the dirt beneath his feet. That's ego, or to the British, snob value.

JW

Aussie: Point well taken,..... but my comment had nothing to do with ethnicity,nor a person's country of origin....it had to do with the rather vast experience of English and Continental gunmakers and customers in designing and using large caliber rifles in tropical climates for large animals.This on a scale that the American makers historically could not match,because we simply never had the game of that size,in such abundance, to deal with.

It all sprang from British Colonialism in such places as Asia and Africa,and the conditions and climates and mega-fauna they had to deal with, that we never did on a routine basis.Much of what they learned and did served us well over here,even today.

There are a lot of characteristics of Brit designed/adopted BG rifles and cartridges that got figured out by them a long time ago.In many respects,we copied them (and the Continental makers), when it came to large caliber cartridges and rifles from what I can see.In some instances,we departed.I suspect you understand where I am coming from. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/28/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Why NOT get one? I wanted one for many years and did without because I thought that for North America the 35 Whelen could do the job.
But after reading a lot of Peter Capstick books over our extended winters, I decided I needed one.
Once you have the reloading stuff you can make it like a big 35 Remington if you want to.
I had a customer once who told me that every year he hunted moose in Canada with a .375 H&H Magnum.
I asked him how it worked and he replied, "It makes them stick their tongue out about a foot!" grin
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

270 Winchester

My second all time favorite cartridge. Second only to the .375 H&H

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess it's not anything new for gun nuts to have favorite loads for favorite rifles, for me I like and use the 270 grain Woodleigh bullets in the .375 H&H"s and I have heard about how much better the heaver bullets are in the .375 H&H and why don't I use them? Because the 270 grain do all I ask any bullet to do and they do it perfectly, every time.

I really only have three main rifles I use for most of my meat making the .375H&H the .30-06 with 180 grain Woodleigh bullets and I shoot a lot of the 6.5 mm bullets from Woodleigh. Now the first two I have the drop chart committed to memory and keep my sight in at 27 yards, this puts me dead on at 225 yards for both. My 6.5mm shoot much better as to drop and I have to rethink about them. I don't have to think to much about the .30-06 or the 375H&H. and I wanted it to be like that. This gives me a lot of confidence, nothing is wrong with having confidence in your gear.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Coldcase, concerning the 375 H&H and in-laws, you should you are not plowing new ground in Tennesse. You have a PM on the way.

To all, an enjoyable thread.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Coldcase, concerning the 375 H&H and in-laws, you should you are not plowing new ground in Tennesse. You have a PM on the way.

To all, an enjoyable thread.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Sorry about the double post--old and twitchy fingers.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RyanScott
It is pleasing to God.

This is true. It's just not right to NOT own one.

If you get one you really, really need to take up handloading. I'd hate to try and feed one using factory stuff. The price of a few boxes of factory .375 H&H ammo would buy you a decent reloading setup.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got a Talkeetna coming in the next week or two. Might have enough time on working up some 270gr. Hornady's for an upcoming cow elk hunt. Its been a few years since I had one so it will be good to get re-acquainted.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
From the perspective of someone who has wanted an H&H since 12 years of age (after shooting a teacher's BRNO at the range) and has just acquired one last year (at the age of 43) - don't waste precious time. Just do it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Genehunter
don't waste precious time. Just do it.

That is good advice.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,359
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.