Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What would you recommend for shooting sticks to a fairly new but middle-aged hunter (My brother-in-law). Since he likes to hike, I can't see him packing something that won't fold up. Being fairly new to hunting, he considers anything much over 200 yards a lengthy shot. The country he hunts is fairly open and I can see where some sticks would really help. I happen to use the Snipe-Pod, but I think sticks would be the best for him.

Suggestions?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use my internal frame back for most all my hunting shots. Even practice shooting from sitting position with the rifle resting on top the pack. Shot a coyote at 335 yd on the last day of a hunt from the sitting position this season.

Use my pack as an impromptu rest all the time, lying it on top of rocksm, bump in the ground, any place of opportunity.

Whatever you decide on the real key is practice.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've had good luck with the Stoney Point shooting sticks in the heavier magnum version. They are designed for the sitting or kneeling position and give enough height to shoot over sage brush and the like.

They are lightweight aluminum and fold up small enough to be carried in a belt pouch or a backpack. They unfold for quick use with shock cord and are a pretty useful piece of gear. They should be perfect for your brother-in-law's intended use.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
stoney point

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I made a set of shooting sticks using two aluminum, shock chorded tent poles. They fold down to about 16". Just tie them together with a rubber band. Works great.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Magnum Stoney Points

If he just wants to try something that doesn't fold, take two arrows and put a wad of rubber bands around them wherever you need the pivot point.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have the Stoney Point Shooting Stix II and they're fantastic. They fold and come equipped with a belt holster that is very effective for keeping it out of the way while allowing quick access.

With a good shooting sling they're amazingly effective.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by efw
I have the Stoney Point Shooting Stix II and they're fantastic. They fold and come equipped with a belt holster that is very effective for keeping it out of the way while allowing quick access.

With a good shooting sling they're amazingly effective.

+1 on these: http://theconsumerlink.com/STONEYPOINT/detail/TCL+F3B39-R1X/106

I've used them for several years and they work great from the kneeling position. Steer clear of the tall "Safari Stix". I saw them being used on a TV show a few years ago and the flex in them was unbelievable---don't know how the guy ever made the shot.

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The Stoney Point Magnum SS II's look like the ticket.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My hunting buddy and I have been carrying folding Stoneys for several years. We put then alongside our water bottles in the outside pockets of our packs. Easy to get to and deploy, and really help on some shots.

Used mine this year for both deer. the range was only 200 yards, but I needed to get up above the sage.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer to use a backpack. One of the most annoying experiences I ever had was guiding a couple in Nebraska. We were in a timbered draw and a buck was bedded 50 yards away. I point it out, and the wife proceeds to open her husbands pack, "click-click-click-click", put the sticks together and shoot then shoot the buck in the back leg.. Took 3 hours to find him and have the hubby finish the job.

Just don't let him get over reliant on them. He needs to practice with them, but he also needs to shoot from other field positions.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I just use my trekking poles. Hold them in my left hand, crossed like an oversized bipod and put the forend of the rifle in the crotch of the poles. Works like a charm for me. I have big hands so it's not a problem to hold the poles like this.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used the Anderson sticks for several years. Same style/prinicpal as the others,i.e., they fold to a small size and can be carried on your belt.

This year I used the BogPod for the first time. It doesn't fold, but collapses into a smaller size to fit into a backpack. I have the tripod model and it is definitely steadier than the Anderson sticks.

I found myself using them as a walking stick and they really helped my knees in the hills.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Bog Pods look interesting - especially the tripod version. You can buy an attachment to mount your camera on after the shot.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used a pair of the original Steady Sticks for years. If you use them properly they can be a steady as a bench. My longest shot with them was about 425 yds. (paced off). Whitetail DRT. I like them a lot.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Magnum sticks have worked well for me. While they come with a belt mounted nylon case, I find the outside of my pack or chest pocket a better carry option.

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes,I've got the camera adapter for the Bog Pod also. But, it is a relatively expensive- and HEAVY- attachment. Nice accesory though.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am a big fan of shooting stix. If you like the stoney point you may like the Underwood stix better. A good friend has used both and perfers the Underwood. The sections seem to go together better and faster. I have both the alum. and carbon models and perfer tha alum. since the carbon will flex more under the weight of the gun and any downward pressure you may add if you hold the forend. I dont mean to say I wouldnt take the carbon hunting, its just that if I could only have one pair it would be alum. Dean

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used Stoney Points to kill several animals, the most notable being a bull elk at 595 yards from the kneeling position. I shoot very well with them from kneeling and the position clears most vegitation and terrain issues. I feel comfortable out to about 400 yards without any other support than the kneeling position. If I can kneel and get my back on something firm the crosshairs settle down for LONG shots.

The one problem I've had with the Stoney Points is the small diameter with pointed ends sink quickly into soft ground and become unstable. In mud they bog down and when you attempt to pull them out the bottom section will stick in the ground allowing the elastic band to stretch and separate the sections. When there's finally enough tension to pull the bottom section out of the mud you better not have your face in the way! Basically if its wet and you're not on rock you might as well leave them in the bag.

Because I shoot well with them and of their compact size and weight I'll always have the Stoney Points around but I'm currently ready to experiment with sticks with a larger, rubber foot to tote when terrain and conditions dictate.

Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bx, Thanks for pointing that out...

I didn't know the Stoney Point didn't have a type of "foot" to keep it from sinking into the ground. The Snipe Pod that I use has a rubber foot and even than soft wet dirt can allow the legs to sink at times.

What are you going experimenting with now?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,555
Posts18,491,722
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.