-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like others...I love this thread - thanks for reposting it.

On a weekly basis, I go back & forth between the idea of building a 404j vs a 416 ruger. Thankfully, I have no trip looming that requires a decision, etc....but all the ideas in the recent posts of this thread are really helpful!

GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I went the cheapskate route and am very pleased. Got theM70 ultramag donor, had it rebored for 404 Jeff, had bolt face opened just a bit, picked up a new takeoff Win safari express model stock. Rebedded it,shoots great and looks good. Just have to put on Necg express sight,barrel band and banded front sight and it will be ready to go.Not counting sights I have about 1,000 into it.Fun to shoot and weighs in at a bit over 9 lbs. with Leupold on it.Not a fancy custom by a long shot but it suits my budget.I actually thought it was great to shoot with the original Win plastic stock, weighed in at a bit over 8 lbs. But I love wood. Get one!

Rick from NH

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's the route I'll likely take, except for a new tube rather than a rebore. I plan to shoot the rifling out of my .300 RUM before I convert it.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's the route I took when the throat was gone on my 416 Rigby, made a fine and very cost effective 505 Gibbs. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I only hope I'm tough enough to shoot the throat out of my CZ .416!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, big charges of H-4350 and the 350 gn Speer, Barnes X, and TSX's didn't take long. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by foxhound
I went the cheapskate route and am very pleased. Got theM70 ultramag donor, had it rebored for 404 Jeff, had bolt face opened just a bit, picked up a new takeoff Win safari express model stock. Rebedded it,shoots great and looks good. Just have to put on Necg express sight,barrel band and banded front sight and it will be ready to go.Not counting sights I have about 1,000 into it.Fun to shoot and weighs in at a bit over 9 lbs. with Leupold on it.Not a fancy custom by a long shot but it suits my budget.I actually thought it was great to shoot with the original Win plastic stock, weighed in at a bit over 8 lbs. But I love wood. Get one!

Rick from NH

I have been shopping for a M70 donor in CRF and the pickings are slim...certainly nothing that allow for a 1k build (as you have) once all the goodies are added. Sounds like you found a great donor at a great price!

M
M
Hi,

I have been offered a .404 Jeffery (Jeffery make) for around $ 2200. Will this be a useful buy keeping in mind the fact that modern loadings of this cartridge are not recommended for use in older rifles? The price seems excessive for what may prove to be a wall hanging only.

Regards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will need to provide a few more specifics as to what it actually is...but the original jeffery mfg should be a good quality gun that can and should be used today.

You would be hard-pressed to find a 404J less than 2k...shop the online sites to see for yourself, but that could be a fair price

M
M
Hi Setch,

Thanks for for your views. The price quoted is $ 2400 but I am hoping it will come down a bit. I agree that it is a fair price by international standards. I was rather confused by some reviews on the net saying that modern ammunition is slightly bigger than the original in terms of bullet diameter and should not be used in older rifles.

I have yet to see the rifle, which is in a different state and I will have to travel quite a bit to see it. Since it is a Jeffery made rifle it is quite attractive an offer. There being no hunting in India the rifle is a collectors piece only unless I go on safari in Africa.

Since import of weapons into India was effectively stopped in India in 1984, prices, especially of handguns, is quite high.

Regards.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Progress report.

I got the Super Grade stock from Gunner500 fitted to the .300 RUM donor gun. The .404J barrel is done and will be shipped from Walther to Jim Kobe. The Super Grade stock was inletted for one piece bottom metal, the Stainless Classic has two piece bottom metal. I could have made it work with a spacer and Acraglas Gel, but went ahead and got Williams one piece bottom metal from Brownells. I'm glad I did. It's a very well made unit and will add class to the gun.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And here are a couple of bad boys we'll be shooting.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[Linked Image]

At the expense of exposing my ignorance, what are the projectiles on the bottom of the pic and how are they used?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Top bullets are Hornady Dangerous Game Solids, DGS, 400 gr.

Bottom is Woodleigh Hydrostatically Stabilized 400 gr. Solids.

Hydrostatically Stabilized refers to the extrusion process and manufacturing process. The cup reportedly "cores" tissue and the pressure ring resists deflection and promotes deep, straight line penetration.

I've not shot anything yet with one of these. I've made up dummies for my gunsmith to adjust feeding from the mag. I figure if he can make these things feed smooth, everything else should be a breeze.

DF

M
M
Hi,

I just saw the Kynoch website which mentions that they manufacture cartridges suitable for use in older rifles. This sets at rest any doubts I had about buying an older Jeffery made rifle in .404 Jeffery.

Regards.

Last edited by miroflex; 06/25/12.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I described the stock as "Super Grade" based on it being inletted for one piece bottom metal. I recently saw a Super Grade stock which has different sling swivel studs and a fore end tip.

So, I don't think this stock is a Super Grade. Not sure actually what it is, as it seems to be a bump up in grade from the standard M-70 with two piece bottom metal. My understanding was one piece bottom metal were on the higher grades.

Any help with the correct ID on this stock would be appreciated.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That looks outstanding DF, and even if ya didnt have a custom project in the works, that barreled action sitting in that stock is very nice.

I happen to think stainless and walnut are a very attractive combination.

And as dense as that stock is, I knew it would make you a near bullet-proof handle for your Big Bore.

I am already regretting not building another 458 Win Mag. on that stock. cryLOL

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Gunner.

I like the way the blue Oberndorf style Williams bottom metal looks on the SS M-70. I like the larger trigger guard and the way the trigger is positioned near the rear of the trigger guard. I'm even getting used to the mixed blue and stainless look.

I have NECG SS hex head action screws back ordered at Brownells. I think they'll look good, too.

Can't wait to get the barrel fitted and pop a few caps.

I've shot a Browning Safari .458 Mag. and a Merkel .500 NE. Both had a good push, but not teeth rattling. I hope this one performs along those lines.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Your most welcome DF.

And it will be a very polite push on recoil, worked up the loads for my Bud's 404J and was pleasantly surprised at the well mannered cartridge.

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think this one is going to come in at 9.5# or so, all up.

I sold a M-70 in .375 H&H when I started on this project. That thing was 10.5#'s with scope and rings. It seemed too barrel heavy and instead of spending money working on it, I got my money out and started over. I'll have a bit more in the .404J, with the Williams bottom metal. I'm guessing around $1,400 after I sell the donor gun take off parts.

I have SS Talley bases ordered, the front, an extension base. Talley has a 25X701 base that extends about 1/8" over the rear of the front ring and a 25XX701 that extends about 1/4". I went with the SS 258X701 which uses 8x40 mounting screws. I'll have Jim Kobe drill and tap for the 8x40's when he does the barrel work.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Soundin' good Sir, and I have came to appreciate the 8-40's over the years.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,816
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.