Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bay_Dog
I agree, I don't think that the Insurance companies have much to do with it either. Their model is to assess the risk and charge premiums accordingly, just like the agent stated.

We saw very little sign in the areas that we typically hunt the past couple years. I guess that next season we'll have to branch out a little more and get to some places we've looked at on maps, but have never really tried hunting.

Huntz, where abouts do you hunt in DMU 41? We've stayed pretty much in the Town of Amberg and Wausaukee areas. Hunt State and County Forest Land pretty exclusively. May have to start looking into the Town of Silvercliff and Goodman.

On another note, we had some friends that were lucky enough to shoot a 9 and 8 pointer on Opening Day. They had them aged by a DNR biologist at 2.5 years old. The kicker is they were only 100# deer dressed. I shot a 2.5 year old 2 years ago that went 180# dressed. So, not only are there not a lot of deer, but the ones that are there are not getting the greatest nutrition.

I hunt Near Black Sam Rd. Just North of town,east of 141.I hunt right out my backdoor.It is all private land around here.I can`t comment on Deer size as I have not taken one around here in 3 years.If I want meat my Wifes Aunt has a farm near Clintonville .I will probably go there for muzzleloader and take a baldy.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I turkey hunt the Tigerton area, not far from Clintonville. As of this spring, we saw about 10 deer a day, sometimes more. That place has plenty, you should be able to find a baldy to fill your tag.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I hunted in zone 8 for 5 days I shot a cull doe grin saterday at 4:15 and a guy that was shooting behind me shot a nice 8 point 17 inch spread buck that was chaseing a doe at 4:45 he was just getting ready to unload. After that we didnt see anything but rain and bluejays.

I don't feed em I eat em
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was very, very slow in unit 2 on the Bois Brule river. Three total in my hunting parts and as of this morning, no bucks have been seen. I saw 3 does and a fawn in a group. The other 2 hunters took a doe a fawn doe. One hunter in our group was hunting this afternoon and tomorrow. The other two of us are done for various reasons. Not much shooting in the general area and fewer hunters than usual too.

I made the almost 400 mile drive today from Superior back home to Milwaukee and only saw 2 deer in vehicles the whole trip. One of the deer was only 10 miles from home. I would guess that I normally see 100+ deer during that drive.

One of my buddies checked and there were still over 2,000 special doe permits available for unit 2 as of Friday. I have no clue how many were already sold. I think we are going to try to find somewhere else to hunt next year. Perhaps the UP.

Steve

T
T
I hunt in Pepin County near Ella. Our party of 10 or so usually shoot about 12
deer. This year only 4. Not seeing many deer. Lots of standing corn everywhere.
I'm not sure if their all in the corn or just not there at all.

IC B2

TTS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Live in Clintonville and hunt in the Marion, Tigerton, and Big Falls area. Deer numbers aren't like they used to be, but better than further north for sure. One problem this year, LOTS of standing corn. Most farmers always got it off before season started. Not dry enough this year. My son shot a doe on Saturday, I shot a nice 9pt on Sunday so haven't been out since. Will be back out during mz this week. I saw about ten on Saturday. Shot my buck 6:45 Sunday morning. Left after that. Friends/family have been hunting this week. Not seeing too much. Haven't seen a turkey since early bow season. Hope that changes before spring. Tom

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Heck, we probably know some of the same guys TTS. I know several guys with camps down there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We had a pretty good opening day near Amherst as we saw about 50 total between 3 of us and passed 5 small bucks without getting shots and anything big. My father shot 2 does opening morning and I am glad he did. I did not have a good shot at a doe all season only fawns and small bucks. There seem to be a fair number of deer aroung here but not as many as we are used to seeing.
We hunt private land and my father and I will do a lot of small drives which normally produce a few. The majority of the cornfields we hunt are just being taken down now so muzzleloader should be good. I cannot understand why so few people are hunting around here, it seems after opening weekend they just stop and complain. I was reall disapointed to read about the farm bureau lobbying the DNR to shoot more deer.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
TTS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sure we do. This year was my 28th year of hunting there. Also worked in the area for close to twenty. Some nice bucks around that area. Keeps getting better every year. Deer that were head turners not too many years ago, barely get a second look now. Deer needs to be in the 150 class to get a "WOW". Also have been hearing rumors that the area might be going to rifle soon. Sick of shotguns myself. Tom

TTS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hope the corn comes off soon too. Next week would be nice. Some cold and snow would be great too. Tom

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We hunt in Taylor cty, units 25/26. Our group of 7 saw few deer and managed a spike and 10 pt. I saw 3 white flags.
May switch to Michigan next year, thanks dnr frown

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forget about blaming wolves and bears (although they certainly are a factor). THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THE DNR and their UNLIMITED ANTLERLESS PERMITS and the IDIOTS THAT FILL THEM!

One guy told me the only deer he saw this season was a doe fawn on Thanksgiving morning. HE SHOT IT!

Keith W. needs to be FIRED!

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Forget about blaming wolves and bears (although they certainly are a factor). THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THE DNR and their UNLIMITED ANTLERLESS PERMITS and the IDIOTS THAT FILL THEM!

Bingo. Because the DNR wants them shot is no longer an excuse, sportsman need to start thinking for themselves. All the damn science in the world does little good when reason and pragmatism aren't part of the equation.

Keith Warnke does indeed to go away. Being that the WI DNR is the "model that many states follow", I surely wish someone would take him off of our hands and let him ruin their state's hunting. Second thought, I wouldn't wish the dumb bastard on any of our members that hail from different states.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

One guy told me the only deer he saw this season was a doe fawn on Thanksgiving morning. HE SHOT IT!

Keith W. needs to be FIRED!

We have a WINNER!!!!

I talked to a f'n moron at on opener night that shot 4 does. I asked him why, and he said, "Well, I wasn't sure I was going to see another deer, so I shot each one I saw".

If I would have heard him complain about the population, I would have flown off the handle, so I'm glad we left, because I'm sure he would have.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I left Wisconsin 12/04 but I have stayed in touch with my deer hunting friends. And the story is always the same. Every year fewer and fewer deer. Where I used hunt near Mt. Horeb, the land where I hunted would produce 10-12 bucks each year. The past two years, NO deer have even been seen.
I remember the 1st year of the DNR's eradication, a gas station in Barneveld held a contest of who could shoot the most deer. I don't remember the total, but 2 guys at one time were tied a 70-some each. Didn't even have to gut 'em, just deliver them and the DNR would take care of it. Sickening.
I'm in the Black Hills and have enjoyed 5 very good deer seasons and would never even think of moving back to Wisconsin.
By the way, DON'T send any of your DNR guys this way!
V

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think hunter numbers will keep dropping then the DNR will want us to each shoot about 10 apiece. I would sure like to see a 3pt minimum like some states.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm not sure that would work very well for two reasons. 1) lots of 1.5yo bucks have 3 points. make a 3pt/side restriction, you may have something.

2) with antler restrictions, people are going to shoot more does, which is the main problem.

Warnke need to go. Plain and simple.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hunted the entire season in SE Sawyer county. I personlly saw 5 deer including a buck that I couldn't get a shot at. Our group of 5 saw 6 spikes on the opener, one was shot. We had a total of 38 deer sightings for the season and from all we've heard our group saw more than most.

All of us passed up does in hopes it would help rebuild the heard.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The only deer we saw the entire season was does.. We only take one deer/season and we (actually, Adam) didn't take his shot until an hour before the end of the season..

According to a customer I talked to this morning, the people at one registration station south of me had over 65% bucks registered.. Not nearly as many does as last year..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother went to the in-laws in Northern WI and they all got skunked. That is the first time I can remember that happening. He has one bro-in-law that is hard-core and spends all day out no matter what the weather. He saw a doe and passed. Nobody else even saw a deer.

Last year they took 5 bucks and one big doe.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (22magnut, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,603
Posts18,532,573
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.