Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ken14 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My neighbor asked if I ould clean up an older Remington 700 in .243 that he'd recently inherited. Its a nice clean older BDL...everything is going as planned until..

I start scrubbing the bore..I have worn out numerous brushes...used Hoppe's and Shooters Choice and im still getting black fouling after scrubbing...what gives?? Ive never seen one this bad. I thought Id wait till I got all the carbon out to use some CR-10 to make sure its copper free.

So now what...do I keep scrubbing till no more black fouling exists?? A new one on me..

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I alternate between JB compbound and CR-10 when I want a clean bore and have to deal with heavy fouling.

Some bores just take lots of scrubbing, because they've acumulated lots of fouling.

Ken14 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Probably an excellent start...most of mine clean up real quick with SC & some CR-10 if need be.

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I would consider using some JB bore paste. You should feel the bore getting smoother and patches should push through easier. Then go for the copper with CR-10. Be sure to neutralize the CR-10. I have used CRC brake clean from the green can for years. When I asked Barnes they said they used the same thing.

FYI I also helped my neighbor clean his inherited father's old 270 this year.It had been cleaned with hoppes and a bore brush run for approx 40 yrs. I tried some handloads and the finished product and it shot like crap. Naturally I was told "it always shot so well, what did you do"? So be prepared. Anyway I convinced him to rebarrel and helped find him a new 270 takeoff.

I am very interested in how the rifle shoots after you clean it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try using Wipe Out or Patch Out with the accelerator. Then just sit back over night and let it do the cleaning. Should get both the carbon and the copper.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get hold of an Outers Foul-Out system. THEY WORK! I had a Sako 22-250 that I bought used. It wouldn't shoot. I scrubbed and scrubbed the barrel with all kinds of copper removers. I kept getting the blueish-green from the copper buildup. It just kept being blueish-greeb. I was about to give up and unload the gun because it was so bad and wouldn't shoot. I got an Outers Foul-Out system and you wouldn't believe the crap (copper foulings)that came out of that gun. AND, it instantly shot. It turned out to be tack driver, and I almost got rid of the gun. Then, I cleaned some of my varmint rifles. I usually clean them about every 20 rounds, and thought after their cleanings that they were really clean with no copper, etc. in them. I used the Foul-Out on them and, WOW, you wouldn't believe the copper that can out of those "CLEAN" guns. What a surprise. It is great, and really works. I don't like using the word guarantee often, but I'll almost guarantee you it will get all the copper out. Now if it shoots good or not is another thing, but it gets the copper out. The shooting is up to you and the gun.

Last edited by hunter01; 12/01/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You've probably seen this before but there is some good info on different cleaners here, although the TEC may no longer be available. I have had good luck with the Hoppes Elite for carbon.

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Get a chamber plug and fill the barrel up with plain old Hoppes #9. Let it sit for a day or two, then empty and patch out. If still dirty, repeat.

-Adrian

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by adrianrog
Get a chamber plug and fill the barrel up with plain old Hoppes #9. Let it sit for a day or two, then empty and patch out. If still dirty, repeat.

-Adrian
Or simply souse down the bore with plain ol' Hoppes #9, wait 15 minutes, then patch. Repeat, repeat, repeat as necessary. It's never failed me. The key is giving the #9 some time to work.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I agree with adrianrog.
Butch

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,008
Posts18,500,123
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.