Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OZULTRA Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Does anyone have experience with the doubler accessory that Swarovski has that doubles the magnification of your binoculars? I have a pair of 10x42 SLC's and was considering buying the doubler so I could have a 20x spotting scope to use while food plot hunting. Do these doublers work well?

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
They work fine when there is lots of light to be had. Not so much at dusk and dawn which is to be expected from something like that. I used mine quite a bit when I had it and never had a problem with it. I sold it because I bought a spotting scope and use it now for anything that needs a closer look. I think they are nice to have because they are lightwieght and easy to carry and they can get you a little closer look if needed.

OZULTRA Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I am interested in low light hunting conditions, since that is mainly when the deer seem to come out. So are you saying I would lose a lot of light transmission at dusk by adding the doubler?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had the 15's and the doubler for about 10 years now. The 15's in and of themselves are really something!

I've found the doubler to be helpful but like the poster b4 me said in low light they loose it a bit.

They're quick and easy to change and when I'm using the 15's I normally have the doubler right next to me ready to pop on. It's quick and easy to do. I normally take off my hat and quickly change out the parts and put the eye piece in the hat so I can find it quickly.

I like it as I don't have to carry a spotter when I have it. Now for long range micro mgt of bruin skulls and or of antlers the spotter is still the best. But when I am doing a lot of glassing I'll carry the 15's and the doubler.

And someday when you wish to have some fun try putting a doubler on both eye pieces...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yes you are going to loose light transmision for sure it is unavoidable when adding magnification to optics and not increasing objective size just like a scope on 5x at dusk is a lot brighter than a scope on 10x at dusk. It is give and take with magnification it just matters what you want to get for what you give.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You would lose some no doubt but in low light as in first light and or last light and within killing gun ranges you'll be just fine with the normal 15.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I use 1 on my 10x42 ELs. It's wonderful for use as a light weight carry bino and spotter all in one. The doubler reduces the field of view quite a bit, but I already have in site what I want to look at anyway so it's no big deal to me. However the color fazing drops off considerably as well when using it (colors aren't as brilliant). But again, I already have in site whats needed when I use it. For a light weight mountain or climbing set up, it's hard to beat. Mine will always have a place with me.

Some go through life wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. Ronald Regan

My Longest shot is my shortest stalk. USMC 83-87
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Yes the lower light transmission suffers when adding power to anything and not increasing the Obj dia. These certainly lose some of the light gathering but are still very usable at legal hunting light and practical shooting ranges.

Some go through life wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. Ronald Regan

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
dont get me wrong here they are very nice to have I am just letting you know my experience with them.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Just walked outside to compare it in the dark. It's no punk with it on. I looked through the doubled side then through the non-doubled side at a sign on the side of a house about 100yds away (I know it's close but good enough). There was definitely a difference as I and most would expect. But it was also far better in the dark than I had anticipated too.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OZULTRA
Does anyone have experience with the doubler accessory that Swarovski has that doubles the magnification of your binoculars? I have a pair of 10x42 SLC's and was considering buying the doubler so I could have a 20x spotting scope to use while food plot hunting. Do these doublers work well?

My question is, how big is that food plot? grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
OZULTRA Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The food plot is 225 yards long down in a valley, so it gets dark quicker than if it was out in the open. The bucks always seem to come out right at the end and within the last couple minutes of shooting light. I guess that is why they got big though, they ain't stupid.

OZULTRA Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Sounds like maybe my best option for my hunting situation would be to get me a pair of 15x binoculars. Maybe I will go for the Minox 15x58. They seem to be an affordable option. I don't think I can get off the hip the cash required for the Swarovski's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How far after sun down can you legally shoot game?

Thx
Dober

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally, there isn't much I can't tell about a buck at 225 yds with 10x binoculars. I don't see a need for stronger magnification in this scenario.

OZULTRA Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
When I am trying to tell whether or not the buck has brow tines or not, or if he has 6 inch or 7 inch G2's I personally struggle telling once it gets 6:00 p.m. on a food plot. I thought maybe 15x would help this out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps then it's just time to head for the barn for the day. IE it's too dark to be hunting perhaps..?

Dober

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard of a few people who've tried them, but none were particularly impressed...

I think the optical quality is pretty good (but not excellent) but the practicalities of putting the doubler on and taking it off seemed to be the issue..

Why not get a small spotting scope?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
OZULTRA,

There is something else you could do. Since you are already looking at the animal you might shoot, you could have a 4 1/2-30X50 Bushnell mounted on your rifle. Then you could eyeball it clear up to 30X. Flamers, we are talking horns not hats here.

I have compared lots of glass for clearity (Otical boys can corret my term) and have been delighted with the abiltiy to resolve detail with mine. When I compared the Bushnell set on 13X with the Minox 13X56 binocs I couldn't see any difference. smile By turning the power ring to about where 14X would be, I could see a hair more. grin I could giggle like a little girl over it. blush

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
OZULTRA Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Maybe I will get me some of the Minox 15x58's. This would be a whole lot easier to do if I could sell my old pair of Minox IF 9.5x42's. If anyone is interested I would take $300 obo.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,462
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.