Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bought the 5R, I fell in love with it...plain and simple, and the trigger was wonderful at that.

I am pumped...this is the absolute last of my buying for a while....like until my next paycheck smile

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
Originally Posted by rost495
HSM loads 155s. I knew I'd seen or read it somewhere. Its on their website along with 175/178s. Shot a lot of HSM over the years too.

Yuck, I feel so sorry for you.

When was the last time you shot that stuff? When was your lsat competition?

Thousands of rounds of 223/69s and 77s and still have some, but it is/was around 2003 lots of ammo. Our PD used some as recently as 2 years ago with no issues.
What am I missing?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FullMetalParka
Bought the 5R, I fell in love with it...plain and simple, and the trigger was wonderful at that.

I am pumped...this is the absolute last of my buying for a while....like until my next paycheck smile

FMP-- sounds good, deal there is if YOU are happy with it, then the rest doesn't matter.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
HSM loads 155s. I knew I'd seen or read it somewhere. Its on their website along with 175/178s. Shot a lot of HSM over the years too.

Yuck, I feel so sorry for you.

When was the last time you shot that stuff? When was your lsat competition?

Thousands of rounds of 223/69s and 77s and still have some, but it is/was around 2003 lots of ammo. Our PD used some as recently as 2 years ago with no issues.
What am I missing?

Oh, nothing.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh come on then.... guess I'll get a couple of cases of 80s for my 1000 yard adventures then if its still good enough right?

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
QC die on them like it did to RVO a few times?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I look forward to seeing you shoot at 1000 yards. The sooner, the better. I need a good laugh these days. Can you come out this weekend.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Or better yet, if YOU want a good laugh, come and watch ME shoot this weekend. It's going to be freezing cold; I may have to use a blowtorch to warm up the ammo.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Hows the gun shooting now that you got it fixed?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I don't know. I have not had a chance to take it out yet; between work, family, some hunting and the cold here in Houston, Sunday would be its first time out. That's why I was inviting Jeff to come have a smile at my feeble attempts; it should make for some good comedy.

Dry firing it seems to produce a good "clack." We shall see.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Few years back I had an issue with my Benchrest rifle. The cocking piece was hitting the inside of the trigger sideplate. I'd get flyers that would open up a group that measured in the teen into groups in the mid .3"s. Curious if you'd see the same effect with a .308 (flyers).

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its amazing what a tiny contact can do to accuracy!!

Denys
Sorry but nope, I promise I'll make it, but it won't be anytime soon. Like I said, if I had a gun ready to shoot and ammo, I would do it for laughs like you say, but I simply don't. My 308 that I'd like to try is still at the smiths.... though the tube is on, the barrel isn't coated yet. And my 223 is in pieces. Too much going on here.

Come up here for about 2-3 weeks and help me get caught up building and repairing and I'll come down and shoot. HAHA.

I do know sorta how ya feel, I've talked to guys that say they'll come and never do. You can ask Glenn if I"m a good guy though....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh yeah, come clean with me. whats up with HSM? For XC ammo it was always fine. I prefer my own at 600 and beyond but it always was a solid sub MOA out to 300 and was at 600 too just that they didn't use the best bullets..... I wonder if our cheating state team is still using it? I should clarify it was the coach that cheated for us and the reason I'll never shoot on the state team again unless he quits or dies and I have my preference there.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Its amazing what a tiny contact can do to accuracy!!

Denys
Sorry but nope, I promise I'll make it, but it won't be anytime soon. Like I said, if I had a gun ready to shoot and ammo, I would do it for laughs like you say, but I simply don't. My 308 that I'd like to try is still at the smiths.... though the tube is on, the barrel isn't coated yet. And my 223 is in pieces. Too much going on here.

Come up here for about 2-3 weeks and help me get caught up building and repairing and I'll come down and shoot. HAHA.

I do know sorta how ya feel, I've talked to guys that say they'll come and never do. You can ask Glenn if I"m a good guy though....

Glenn said, "Jeff who? From where?" crazy

Seriously, next time I see him, I'll ask. He called the last 600 yard match.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with HSM ammo.

Anyway, all us F-classers load our own.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Didn't the HSM thing star for FMP RE loaded ammo and not deal with whether any of us were going to shoot factory or not.

Heck I thought all us Service rifle guys loaded our own too. Except the guys in the Service. Me, I really never wanted to be penalized to have to shoot factory ammo, but were given orders while on the state team....

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Picking the rifle up today or Monday. Looking at some re-loading gear tonight!

FMP

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Jeff, you are absoultely correct, but to my thinking, our discussion of handloaded ammo seems to have pushed FMP into handloading, which is a great thing for him.

I have not bought a factory loaded rifle cartridge in (many) years but I do buy factory pistol ammo; .45ACP, 9Para, .357SIG and .40S&W, I just don't have the time to reload for those and I shoot so little of it anymore. When I was doing IPSC in the 1980s, I was loading 12-15K rounds a year. But that madness is all behind me now.

FMP, once you decide to get into handloading, there are many of us here who will be happy to critique your every move.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, we can help and have fun at the same time!

Denys, I'd a thought that an IPSC/IDPA loader would have a dillon set up and could still crank the handgun stuff. Course I"m a bit easier than you, Carolyn and I basically only have 45s. I have a couple of 44s for hunts, a 357 i have no clue why... cause I wanted it and it hasn't been shot in 20 years... and a 380 and 44 special that get factory IF they get carried. Pretty easy to leave the dillon head set for 45 and crank it out a few times... I digress.

BTW I agree, reloading is the smartest thing FMP could do. It allows more shooting with same amount of money and better ammo generally speaking.

Don't envy your match this Sunday! We shot in the cold a lot when we were shooting at Perry every year, when we quit that I made 2 rules. I wouldn't shoot in heat or cold ever again. I'd abused my body so bad in both that its not needed again. I've shot when it was in the teens and miserable, and shot in the heat to where I've passed out in my jacket 3 times.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
No, I only had the single stage press, just like I have now. Dillon was brand new and expensive at that time. So I learned to do things in batches. The thing with pistol ammo is that you do not have to clean the brass and resizing is a breeze with carbide dies; no lube needed. All I loaded in those days was 9mm and I bought large boxes of lead bullets from somewhere. (I don't remember anymore.) The UPS guy really hated the run.

Also, a pound of powder lasted a very long time and primers were cheap and abundant. We are not talking about match quality ammo here, just so it would go bang, cycle the pistol and punch the paper target or topple the steel. I used a powder measure and could charge 50 rounds in a few minutes right in the loading block.

Once I went to a match and shot revolver class with my .41 magnum. You should have seen the steel fly! They asked me not to do that again.

In those days, everybody was running with .45 loaded so lightly you could actually see the bullets come out. They had all sorts of malfunctions. The guy who won was usually the one who could shoot all the courses without failure. So, I got me a Sig P226 (nobody had ever heard of them on those days,) and I was at the ready position with 80 rounds in the gun and on my belt. I had a 20 round clip in the gun at the start. Where everyone had to count exactly the bullets in the pistol and figure out when to swap mags and so on; I just blasted away. In those days, the two highest hits on the target counted; I made sure I always had two fives on each target, even if it took 4-5 rounds per target. I accumulated a bunch of trophies and plaques that attest to the fact this was a good strategy. For a while any way. After a while others traded in their 45s for high capacity 9mm. Then an outfit in Toronto came out with a high capacity frame for 45s. You might know them as Para Ordnance. I was thinking about getting one of those but I quit IPSC before I did that, it was getting boring.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 47 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,051
Posts18,521,271
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.