-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I began using the 100 grain TSX in my .257 RBTS based on recommendations here off the Campfire. My Ruger M77 MKII would not shoot any 100 grain bullet well - the recommendation here was to try a TSX and RamShot Hunter powder. Bingo - great combination in my rifle. That rifle and load combo has killed two whitetail does this season; a shoulder shot was DRT, a heart shot (heart parts all over the lane) went 30 yards. Two rounds, two deer, and accurate too - can't argue with that.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I'd be willing to bet that Brad hates Barnes bullets because he's never shot anything but factory stuff... Bullshitt from Bozeman...Again...

If that's not a drunken post, I don't know what is laugh

Yeah, that's me, no handloads, factory only... too funny.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This is the same guy that comes into the LRH forum and gives guys crap for taking long shots and claims they are unethical. then posts up this crap.

What a D-Bag

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don't be too harsh, his dad may not have told him the front end was for shooting, the rear end is for eating.

Last edited by wyoelk; 12/07/09.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
same same, 257 Roberts, 100 TSX over 46 grains of H4350, light recoil, accurate, and deadly.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nice load.
BTW, folks just as an FYI, I ignore any posts from 858 as he has followed me across every internet site trying to make trouble. Obviously a case of an unbalanced mind. Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sometimes yes, but your statement is not an absolute. Bullets can lose animals. Even with perfect placed shots. I have seen it. [/quote]

So why is it than an arrow thru the lungs, with no expansion, and a whole lot less shock, kill animals but a bullet that doesn't open up to 1.5X bore diameter doesn't? I'm confused. If the shot was perfect, it would have pierced both lungs(fatal) the heart(fatal) the spine(fatal) or the brain(also fatal) If you don't find the animal, then apparently you didn't do your job, don't blame the tool. At least that's what I was alway's taught.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Sir:

An arrow through the lungs and a non-expanded 308 caliber bullet through the lungs are two totally different situations. The arrow will in fact make a bigger wound channel and it will cut like crazy with the razor sharp edges.
Now the bullet (theoretically non expanded) will go through with little damage. It will look like a knittting needle hole through the vitals.
The animal will give up the ghost eventually but not anytime soon.
I have witnessed wounds like that in deer.

[Specifically a doe at 200 yards with a 180 gr Scirocco from a 300 Rum (mv 3250 fps). Looked like a hole with very minute tissue damage around the hole. In this particular situation the first lung hit looked like a knife wounded it. By the time the bullet traversed to the second lung and shoulder ---all mush! Wierdest thing I ever saw.]

Anyway, if both situations were equally destructive (or lack there of) bow hunters would lose their game consistantly.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A Muzzy through both lungs is more like a 45-70 500 than a high velocity expanding bullet. Both kill by bleeding out the animal like a knife wound.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Iraklion
Sir:

An arrow through the lungs and a non-expanded 308 caliber bullet through the lungs are two totally different situations. The arrow will in fact make a bigger wound channel and it will cut like crazy with the razor sharp edges.
Now the bullet (theoretically non expanded) will go through with little damage. It will look like a knittting needle hole through the vitals.

[Specifically a doe at 200 yards with a 180 gr Scirocco from a 300 Rum (mv 3250 fps). Looked like a hole with very minute tissue damage around the hole. In this particular situation the first lung hit looked like a knife wounded it. By the time the bullet traversed to the second lung and shoulder ---all mush! Wierdest thing I ever saw.]

Anyway, if both situations were equally destructive (or lack there of) bow hunters would lose their game consistantly.

A .308 non expanding bullet through the lungs will indeed make a much larger hole than will a knitting needle. Have you ever shot an animal with a non expanding bullet in 30 cal?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Iraklion
Sir:

A .308 non expanding bullet through the lungs will indeed make a much larger hole than will a knitting needle. Have you ever shot an animal with a non expanding bullet in 30 cal?

Have you? If so why? I mean please explain this why would you?

Am I the only one who feels strongly about this? Why do some states outlaw this?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The most dangerous game inthe world are routinuely shot with solids. Yes I have used non expanding bullets mostly in a handgun and they are very effective

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Cast or FMJ's? You know the difference right? Cast bullets for big game hunting absolutely. Very effective.
FMJ?s Heck no not for me. You can not compare both due to meplat differences.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Of course I know the difference. Belt Mountain Puch Bullets have you heard of those?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Holy Bat Shiit Batman, can't believe folks can't know/grasp what and how a BIG cast bullet works.

Still laffin over the "Cast or FMJ's? You know the difference right?"

Thinking he asked the wrong pilgrim that question. I could understand asking JO.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Steelhead.

FMJ's for deer elk and moose from a rifle man? You agree with this?

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by jwp475

The most dangerous game inthe world are routinuely shot with solids. Yes I have used non expanding bullets mostly in a handgun and they are very effective

[Linked Image]

we're talking rifle here.

You said a 308 cal FMJ remember?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
You compared them to a kinitting needle, remember?

In the 60's when I was young and had not heard that a FMJ would not kill and could afford what I could afford I and a feww friends killed several Deer and Hogs with Millitary surplus FMJ bullets very dead very fast. Place them in the kill zone and they are MUCH MOORE than a Knitting needle

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've killed a few critters with hard cast bullets fired from rifles, will most likely do it again.

Ain't talking about FMJ

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
FMJ
[Linked Image]

Not FMJ

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (1lesfox, 1badf350, 160user, 21, 12344mag, 10ring1, 32 invisible), 1,831 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,080
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.