Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to get one of these two rifles for my daughter and wanted to see what everybody's thoughts were on the two. Ruger has a special run of 10/22s with a pink laminate stock and CZ has a special run of pink stocked 452 Scouts.

I currently have full-sized models of both and thought about just upgrading them, but I haven't bought a rifle in a while. wink

Thanks,

Dan

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Go with the CZ. It will be good training for her to learn how to run a bolt gun. The CZ was very helpful in teaching my son to shoot well. CZ 452's accuracy does not hurt either.

GreggH

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go with the cz. I really wished I'd never put my youngest sone behind a 10/22 as he seems mostly interested in making empties rather then connecting.

I love buying guns for the kids, just wish my wife understood how rewarding an experience it is laugh

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
CZ-- I have had both--Teach her to use the bolt action, then the semi...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the CZ.

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No doubt on the CZ...
If you want you can put a Rifle Basix tirgger in it and make it slick...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You don't want to get a beginner an auto until they learn trigger control first. A bolt gun will accomplish that.

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The bolt gun is definitely the way to go. I may have to check out the pink stocked version for my granddaughter.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have to agree with the others. Go with the CZ. My nephew started with one and has done very well.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by orion03
+1 on the CZ.

+2

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whilst not a CZ fan, I do agree with the above postings regarding a SA in the hands of a youngster. That combined with the fact I would never buy a new 10/22 ... they went on the cheap with them & the prices haven't come down.

Good Luck with the little one and envy the experience which you're about to embark.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. Not often that everybody around here agrees on something. grin

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, part two of the question. What about optics? I'm definitely putting some sort of scope on it, but what are everyone's thoughts on something like the Vortex StrikeFire vs. a Leupold 4x?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am a Leupy slut .... but I think the next rf scope I'm going to try will be the Weaver ... looked as good "in the store" as the Leupold rf and 1/2 the price ($100-ish).

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one desires accuracy of of the box, I'd stick with the bolt action. Among our hunter safety classes, young males are typically into "lead in the air" and "who cares where it hits." Ladies are more prone to the challenges of precision shooting.

On optics... To maximize accuracy from say 50 ft to 100 yards, a variable with an adjustable objective would be primo. On our western ground squirrels where youngsters might only be field mouse size, a 10 X image is a much better target. Parallax really kicks in with fixed optics, especially with the higher power. Cheap variables though will often exhibit point of impact changes with power shifts. If one is just going to do plinking though, any 4 to 6 X unit should suffice.

Regardless of the choice, test several brands of ammo for accuracy. Some brands will shoot nice 4 inch wide patterns at 50 yrds while others can stay within a dime. Good luck and have fun. 1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 12/02/09.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CZ and try various sub-sonic loads. Scopes? Up to you, but get something that balances well on the little Scout. My son has one, and it is a VERY accurate rifle. I love the Leupold 3-9x EFR rimfire scope with the AO. It is pricey, but can be transferred to another rifle down the road, and you will never need to upgrade from it, forever.

One thing about the CZ, the action was pretty stiff. It polished up working the action a lot. Worked it a bunch while sitting on the couch. It comes with a single shot clip, so you will have to eventually purchase a 5 rounder. Also, the safety works in the opposite direction than most rifles, but it is clearly marked.

Last edited by Sakoluvr; 12/02/09.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I also see the logic and safety in starting the youngun with the bolt CZ, but what about this suggestion ..... ?

Get her an adult-size CZ452 (the heavier non feather weight barrel?), but put a "Scout" stock on it until she grows into the walnut stock! Also be sure to get the 1-shot blind (Scout) magazine to make the M452 a singleshooter, until she graduates to the 5 and 10rd mags.

If you need to, the Scout stock is rather light-colored and can be repainted to a more girly color - like pink or even lavender! How many young female shooters have a lavender or periwinkle-colored rifle!!?? I don't have a daughter but would seriously consider my own advice if I did.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I seriously considered going that route and in fact contacted CZ to see if I could buy the Pink Scout stock directly from them, but they wouldn't sell it separate from the rifle. So...I bought the rifle. I just picked it up about an hour ago. Very cool little rig...single-shot adapter, 12" LOP pink stock, ~16" barrel. I picked up a box of Federal Gold Metal Match and some sub-sonic stuff to try out. Now I just need to find some pink ear-muffs and a pink gun case and I'll be set.

I actually sold my Trainer model to help fund this purchase, so I'll be running the 4x Leupold Rimfire off that rifle. Can't wait to see the smile on her face... grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
grin Good luck then, Clark98UT

Thought I had seen kid-size replacement stocks at Brownell's, altho they might have been from Boyd's and not CZ.

I have actually seen kid-size 10/22 replacement stocks advertised at Brownell's.

If you indeed succeed finding everything "pink," your wife's expression is one you also need to photograph too - when your daughter first see's her new rifle.

Hope that family moment is a huge success!

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Having run or helped in running 4H Shooting sports classes for the last 14 years I have to agree that the last thing you want to give a kid for their first rifle is a semi. It usually goes how fast they can get the next magazine loaded.

The CZ Scout is an excellent rifle. It has the following drawbacks however... The stock is Euro shaped which is great for shooting the open sights that come on the gun but put a scope on and the line of sight is way too high for a natural cheek weld. I ended up putting a Cabela's leather lace on cheek rest to solve that problem. Put on a slipon recoil pad for bigger kids...like us...

Second is the bolt throw...it is too high and one has to use a fairly high ring to clear the ocular bell with the bolt handle. Choose a scope with the smallest bell possible so it can be put in the shortest rings possible. I put one of the old 10X Weaver K10s on and although it looks funny with all that scope the kids really like the Mini-Sniper...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was a groups shot at 100 yards using Walmart Federal bulk ammo. The right hole isn't counted as I was still bringing the group to the left... Great rifles...

[Linked Image]

The gun should also come equiped with sling swivels...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,304
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.