Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3543700 12/05/09
S
OP Offline
S
Guys took my first bull out of Arizona Unit 5B North. Would have been a nice 5x5 but the top part of one antler was broken probably from fighting.

I shot him with my CZ 550 in 9.3x62 Mauser, 286gr Nosler partition, one shot behind the right shoulder and it exited at the top of the left. He moved about 30 yards from where I shot him.

GB1

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Congrats on your first bull.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SuperD4K Pictures man pictures your telling us all about the
hunt but no pictures bad bad, Need pics. of both the gun and
the bull. Congratulations but lets see OK. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
is 5B North near Prescott?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Congrats on your first bull! But yes, we need pix!

5B-North will always be special to me. Mainly because I took my first bull there, but also because of the experience I had taking the bull out. I dropped the bull then spent the remainder of the day and part of the next making trips back and forth to my truck taking him out piece by piece. The least path of resistence back to the road took me by a make-shift memorial - a cross with the name Adrian Villa on it. This cross was placed about 20 yards off the dirt road and down a drop off maybe 6-8 feet. There was a path passing right in front of the cross, and I mean inches away. My brother and I had to walk the path every trip back and forth to the truck. This path had elk tracks in it too. If it were my cross I think that would be cool. I must of passed that cross 10 tens back and forth, paying my respects each time. On our last trip, my brother and I almost simultaneously stated we would like to go back to that cross one more time and decorate it a little, even if only with pinecones and some pine needle filled branches. We made our way back, and sometime between our previous trip and the last, the cross was decorated. Someone had slipped in between those trips and placed some items there.

I wished I could have met the people (perhaps family), because I really became curious as to who this person was. Sounds wierd, but we almost become friends during that time I spent hauling out my bull. From that day on, I simply refer to that part of 5B-North as Adrian Villa.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great job....sincere congrats to you!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw
Congrats on your first bull! But yes, we need pix!

5B-North will always be special to me. Mainly because I took my first bull there, but also because of the experience I had taking the bull out. I dropped the bull then spent the remainder of the day and part of the next making trips back and forth to my truck taking him out piece by piece. The least path of resistence back to the road took me by a make-shift memorial - a cross with the name Adrian Villa on it. This cross was placed about 20 yards off the dirt road and down a drop off maybe 6-8 feet. There was a path passing right in front of the cross, and I mean inches away. My brother and I had to walk the path every trip back and forth to the truck. This path had elk tracks in it too. If it were my cross I think that would be cool. I must of passed that cross 10 tens back and forth, paying my respects each time. On our last trip, my brother and I almost simultaneously stated we would like to go back to that cross one more time and decorate it a little, even if only with pinecones and some pine needle filled branches. We made our way back, and sometime between our previous trip and the last, the cross was decorated. Someone had slipped in between those trips and placed some items there.

I wished I could have met the people (perhaps family), because I really became curious as to who this person was. Sounds wierd, but we almost become friends during that time I spent hauling out my bull. From that day on, I simply refer to that part of 5B-North as Adrian Villa.

That's pretty cool...any idea how old the cross was? I found a similar thing up in unit 21 a couple of years back...and SuperD4K, congrats! Pics please!

Last edited by IntruderBN; 12/07/09.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
5Bnorth is nowhere near Prescott- closer to Winslow

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This was 4 years ago, and I want to say the cross had been there about 2 years before that. The cross had the person's time on this earth. I remember the year Adrian Villa was born because it was the same year my brother was born - 1951 (this kind of got his attention first time he passed the cross). I can't quite remember the year of passing, but I think it was around 2003.

SuperD4K...where about where you hunting?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Congrats on the bull. You just gotta love the 9.3x62... one of my all-time favorites for everything from Mouse Deer to Water Buffalo.

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching. -Bill
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Way to go!
Took my first bull in 2007, he had a busted up rack also. Just makes the trophy more unique. You will never forget your first bull!

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 2500HD, 160user, 222ND, 55 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,610
Posts18,511,706
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.