Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Most of the X bullet failures were with the original X bullets, the TSX's seem to perform a bit better. Looking at Brad's photo it seems that they're still not completely reliable. I know a guy with a .375 original X bullet that looks like the one on the left from Brad's photo, he recovered it from an elephant and has it sitting on his mantle. Two guys I hunt with lost good bucks that they shot with the original X's, both no longer use them. Since neither deer was recovered it's obviously impossible to say for certain what happened, but both are very experienced hunters/riflemen with multiple good bucks to their credit, so when they say they made a good shot I believe them.

For what it's worth, I believe the major problem with the X/TSX design is the hollow point. It relies upon hydraulics to initiate expansion where a solid material like lead or plastic in the tip would likely initate the expansion better. My gut feeling is that you probably don't see the expansion problems out of the TSX with the plastic tip since there's something there to be driven back into the cavity to start the expansion. I think the hollow point design is the main problem with these bullets. I would consider using the tipped TSX, but I'm not touching the hollow point ones. There's too many good bullets out there today to rely upon a bullet with a questionable history like the X/TSX.

I always get a kick out of these threads that start with a picture of an expanded X bullet offered as some kind of proof that they will always do that. It ain't the 98 out of 100 that expand that are the problem, it's the other 2 that screw you.

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Most of the X bullet failures were with the original X bullets, the TSX's seem to perform a bit better. Looking at Brad's photo it seems that they're still not completely reliable. I know a guy with a .375 original X bullet that looks like the one on the left from Brad's photo, he recovered it from an elephant and has it sitting on his mantle. Two guys I hunt with lost good bucks that they shot with the original X's, both no longer use them. Since neither deer was recovered it's obviously impossible to say for certain what happened, but both are very experienced hunters/riflemen with multiple good bucks to their credit, so when they say they made a good shot I believe them.

For what it's worth, I believe the major problem with the X/TSX design is the hollow point. It relies upon hydraulics to initiate expansion where a solid material like lead or plastic in the tip would likely initate the expansion better. My gut feeling is that you probably don't see the expansion problems out of the TSX with the plastic tip since there's something there to be driven back into the cavity to start the expansion. I think the hollow point design is the main problem with these bullets. I would consider using the tipped TSX, but I'm not touching the hollow point ones. There's too many good bullets out there today to rely upon a bullet with a questionable history like the X/TSX.

I always get a kick out of these threads that start with a picture of an expanded X bullet offered as some kind of proof that they will always do that. It ain't the 98 out of 100 that expand that are the problem, it's the other 2 that screw you.

I agree.
Good post Crow! Hopefully the TTSX will eliminate the expansion issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll add my modest X collection as well. I also agree with the hydraulics of the hollow point. The bullets from my backstop demonstrate the concept.

Recovered from my clay pit backstop.

[Linked Image]

Shoulder blade "damage" from a 25 cal 100 gr TSX driven to 3300, shot at ~ 100 yards. You can't get your pinky into the hole.............

[Linked Image]

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
62gr TSX, I can't get my junk through the hole...

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wyoelk
You left out one possibility... shot into a dirt mound behind a target. Funky colored bullets.

You can be sure they ain't discolored from blood.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Actually, dickbrain, they were run thru a washing machine tied in a sock and then soaked overnight in CR 10 to make for a pretty picture.

You keep shooting that cup and core crap... it will soon be banned and then what will you do?

As for blood stains, do you soak your bullets in Tampex to make them look "cool"?

We have three dead animals in the freezer, you have
BS, somethings just never change. MO called yet?

Still hyping that slant eyed crap in Texas?

Here's the message: If you have no facts or nothing to contribute why don't you just STFU and stick to being a campfire guide as nothing is every killed there but a cheap 5th of Texas rotgut.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Whom was your post directed toward?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots and lots of different voices going round in that head of his. Hard to tell who he talking to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing is very clear and that is how far you have digressed from a couple of years ago. I do know one thing for certain and that is you would never address me in that tone FTF.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
didn't someone else post these?

I can't spell... Deal with it...
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
didn't someone else post these?

???????

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Had I found those bullets in one of the animals I shot, at the ranges you shot them at. It would only take one for me to figure out that that bullet is to tough for the caliber/cartride you are shooting it out of, But amazingly you have recovered 3 and still do not get it. I am sorry but that is just plain stupid.

I know you will say that it is a dead animal so the bullet performed NOT TRUE the bullet did not expand and you were shooting it at a modest range. Don't get me wrong the bullet is working just fine it is the guy putting them in the rifle that is out of his mind.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I think they would do well from a 358 RUM.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only used TSX bullets in Africa, shot through my .375 RUM. One trip I used 300 gr, another trip I used 270 gr bullets. Out of 18 animals, I only recovered these three TSX failures:
[Linked Image]
The one with the broken off petal went full length through a Kudu...front shoulder to opposite hip.

The results of the other 16 failures are either on mounted on my walls at home or at my taxidermist.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

858 Offline
Barnes bullets don't always kill on the first shot.

LAWRENCE ROOT of Pinedale, WY
Date posted: 5/1/2005
Opening morning 2004 my buddy from PA borrowed my 1958 721 300 H&H loaded with 168 3x BTs at 3100 fps that put 3 in 3/4" @100. A 14" buck trotted by his rock blind at 225 yards. First shot a bit low broke right shoulder, buck stopped and quartered toward him. Second shot (He's an old bolt action match shooter!) hit high lungs, broke spine and dropped the Lope dead at about 200 yds. No recovered bullets (Never are with Xs). Accurate, deadly, always 2 holes and work in everything from my 25-06 to 12 bore (sabots). Why are there other bullets at all?

Barnes TSX Midway Review

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 858

Opening morning 2004 my buddy from PA borrowed my 1958 721 300 H&H loaded with 168 3x BTs at 3100 fps that put 3 in 3/4" @100. A 14" buck trotted by his rock blind at 225 yards. First shot a bit low broke right shoulder, buck stopped and quartered toward him. Second shot (He's an old bolt action match shooter!) hit high lungs, broke spine and dropped the Lope dead at about 200 yds. No recovered bullets (Never are with Xs). Accurate, deadly, always 2 holes and work in everything from my 25-06 to 12 bore (sabots). Why are there other bullets at all?

Barnes TSX Midway Review

Your point? Assuming you have one

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be willing to bet that Brad hates Barnes bullets because he's never shot anything but factory stuff... Bullshitt from Bozeman...Again...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well I've recovered a couple...this is a pick of a (early) 53 gr. .22 XFB recovered from a blacktail & I figure the velocity was somewhere around 1900-2000 fps. JJ Hack did a write up a few months back of his experiences over in africa with the TSX & they pretty much mirror mine.
Those banana bullets are funny...they HAD to be wobbleing pretty good to do that & regardless of the make or composition of the bullet, if it is wobbleing either from lack of sufficient twist or deflection due to brush, it is gonna do the same thing be-it a partition, corelokt, whatever...You guys that are posting those pics are only reinforcing my opinion that you really do not have a clue...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Perhaps Barnes and a few other bullet makers are getting the formula correct on copper bullets nowdays! However, I been a victom of the marketing readeric since 1995 and have tried several rifles in various calibers, using the BARNES X bullet, Blue XLC bullet and it is always the same old song and dance routine. Bullets do not shoot accurately in rifles, nor do they open or mushroom out as they should.

I have lost a couple of nice trophy's along the way down the yellow brick road with Barnes bullets. I myself have run them through my media tests and water tank tests. My results still proved that Barnes never got it right in comparison to what a Nosler Partiton does in dependability of being accurate and the bullet mushrooming out on big game animals.

I am still a skeptic on copper bullets! If they don't open up on your animal, chances are they will never be recovered for comparison sake. My water tank test is the best I have seen so far and I am not holding my breath on anybody's pure copper bullets outdoing a lead jacketed bullet.

However, I hope for the sake of the hunter who purchases their bullets, they can finally get things 100% correct for a change. I won't be holding my breath or discarding my TBBC, Swift A Frames, Woodleighs or Nosler Partition bullets any time soon, gentlemen of the pure copper bullet!!!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

858 Offline
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by 858

Barnes TSX Midway Review

Your point? Assuming you have one

Shot placement is still more important than the type of bullet. Just ask Lawrence Root.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,191 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,740
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.