-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fishing from a canoe, we found a Winchester model 12 that was rusted shut on the bottom of the river.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in the late 1970s, I found a Ski-Doo Elan snowmachine that had been run off a cliff in a remote area near Sawyer Pond in the White Mountain NF. I gave the registration # and location to the USFS office in Conway and never went back to see if it had been recovered.

In the early 1980s, I found a Honda CL-450 in the Republican River bottom-ground at Camp Whiteside ROTC Summer Camp area on Ft. Riley. I gave the description and location to the MPs, but never went back to see if it had been recovered.

Jeff

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Back in the 80's, we were pheasant hunting the Teton river breaks north of GF Montana (bootlegger trail)and my dad went into some bush to retrieve a bird and came out with a rooster and a cannonball that is slightly larger than a softball. Must've been from calvary operations at Fort Benton which is maybe 20 or 30 miles east of the area we were hunting.
Another find I was told about... my brother's father-in-law lost a pair of binos while sheep hunting in the Bob Marshall wilderness past Augusta, Mt. Many years later he became friends with a fella, and their families became close. On a joint family hunt, one of the children of the friend handed a pair of binos to my brother's FIL. FIL's name was etched into the binos.
Apparently the befriended guy had been in the area just after they were lost high on a shale slide where the FIL either left them or dropped them. They were given back to the FIL and he was happy.

Last edited by runninmike; 12/07/09.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
on a long hike trip a few years ago i found a pair of swaro compacts in the soft case with the bino's still in the original plastic. i was at least a mile from any trail and about 7 miles from the nearest road.

the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
very cool about the bino find.... and thought I'd confess to watching your avatar to see if anything else would happen...
Best-Mike

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Found a Civil War era bayonet in a stump near Nokesville, VA. Blade was in OK shape, socket was a mess. Gave it to a collector friend who owned the property.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Everything seems small in comparison to my find. I was hunting by myself, as I usually do, and found a perfectly good 2004 Ford F-350 4X4 truck with the keys still in the ignition. I have had it for several months now, the problem with it is it needs new tires. Any reccomendations?

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"I have had it for several months now, the problem with it is it needs new tires. Any reccomendations?"

Call the owner. Maybe he's got extras that he no longer has use for smile

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Everything seems small in comparison to my find. I was hunting by myself, as I usually do, and found a perfectly good 2004 Ford F-350 4X4 truck with the keys still in the ignition. I have had it for several months now, the problem with it is it needs new tires. Any reccomendations?

You tried to find the owner right ?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
---------
"A quart Mason jar full of pot...."
---------

Them damned Masons! grin
Hoodwinking youngsters by drugging is a reprehensible way to recruit! Glad you had family around for support and to help with disposal laugh

---------

Yeah even, your right, we was recruited, and as recruits how do you say no ??????

Yep, family, a wayward Uncle, two brothers and a couple of seedy cousins. We didn't tell my Mother or Father, they would have made us give it up to someone, like the police, or something stupid like that grin

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once while in the 1980's I was duck hunting tidal marshes on the New Jersy coast and I saw at my feet several 50 caliber bullets that had been fired with the lands and grooves etched in and within 20 feet as the tide went down I found 3 bomblets about 12 to 14 inches long with the fins on one end and the rounded end that looked like the top of a bowling pin on the other. I was so amazed I picked them up and stacked them together near where my seat was and then had a WTF moment and realized that there was no way to figure out if they were inert or not. I walked about 50 yards away and stayed away. There is a lot of unexploded ordnance on the coast still. Just last winter they did a beach reclamation project and a lot of WWI era munitions ended up on the beach and the army spent a fortune clearing the beaches.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Lots of stuff. Hunting fish ( bowfishing) I have found backpacks, and a half dozen purses in the creek, several bison skulls, mastadon teeth, and two guns. One was a 45 Auto loaded but useless. Four years later I found a single barrel shotgun with barrel chopped to 12 inches.
Both guns were on the same side of the bridge. Several knives, tools and whatnot. When a kid, I ran into a broken-into safe. Turns out it was from a regional county club burglarized a few months before.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Couple pocket knifes and a hatchet.

A camo Denim shirt, Has been my favorite shirt when huntin since then.

Also a guy in I'm guessing his mid to late 60's. Who shot himself in the face with a 30-30.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bob testing his special pig pee...

[Linked Image]

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Found a well one time! Luckily not the hard way, but was close.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I'd say but the statute of limitations hasn't fully run yet.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I found a roll of det chord once. It had rolled off a truck on the way to a remote mine that my neighbor owned. I gave it to him and you should have seen his eyes light up.

Other than that, it's just a knife or saw here and there.

Steve

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hidden wells are a real danger in New England. I've seen old wells that could easily swallow a man, woman, or child without a trace, often not anywhere near there was any suggestion of an old foundation.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
oops almost forgot, I was more thinking of things you could keep, but others stories jogged my memory. specially the well

was bird hunting outside of Minto one time and came upon a game pit I guess, they'd dug out a hole 4'x6' about 5 ft. deep, it had logs crisscrossed at the bottom with spikes, lotsa spikes sticking up outa them.

crazy loons, a guy could have been hurt bad in there, it was covered over with little sticks, grass and leaves.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A working moonshine still in N. Georgia. Several old stills that had been torn up.

A 20 m/m cannon at a mock ambush site, probably left by army training in area. Left it where I found it.

Thousands of fired and live .308 blanks in same area.

About 5 gallons of used condons in a remote spot on a old logging road. They were all in a neat pile.

Someone, or several someones, must have had some type of party.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1minute, 1_deuce, 280fan, 27 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,844
Posts18,517,337
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.