C
CWG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
This is some serious, serious stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Z_2oU9B2o
short commercial in front of it. Sit Tight.

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Some of the commenters, particularly those from the Netherlands, seem totally whacked. There is a huge cultural divide when people can't understand traditional American values of self defense, and when the laws of those other countries expect a homeowner to "social work" an invader rather than protecting themselves. Oh wait, the castle doctrine didn't originate in America, it was England.

Emphasis on was.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
C
CWG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Well likely as there are hacked versions floating around where it seems the woman blasted some harmless drunk.
The guy was drunk ran into a ditch and was banging on her her house. For 10 minutes! Cops didn't show for another 10. I really feel for the woman. I really feel for her.
And this guy was driving stoned out of his mind! What if he killed someone on the way home if his bumper didn't find the ditch instead?
Found this searching for more info.

The woman was on the phone with 911 for over ten minutes before the intruder broke in and the shot was fired . The police arrived 20 minutes after she made the call.

I've been rather critical lately of the tendency of police to jungle up in coffee shops while they're on duty, after the Tacoma shooting last week. This just reinforces my position. Police are supposed to be scattered around their patrol areas so that at any given time, at least one of them is close enough to any given point in an area to respond to a full blown emergency, FAST. Maybe it's boring as hell 99.9% of the time, and probably far more lonely than yucking it up with your pals over coffee, but that's the job.

Listening to the actual call, not the hacked OV version, it's obvious the woman had no choice. It's equally obvious from details provided in the accompanying article, that the intruder shouldn't have had to die. He was apparently drunk out of his mind, and his sister was in the car he had just run into a ditch. According to the account, he had a lifelong history of drug and alcohol related arrests, tended to be something of a mean drunk, but nothing in the report indicated anything along the lines of violent felony crimes.

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CWG
This is some serious, serious stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Z_2oU9B2o
short commercial in front of it. Sit Tight.
I like the fact that they told her she had the clearance to shoot if it looked like he was about to get in. Makes it open and shut, no muss no fuss, afterward. I think, were it me, with all that lead time, I would have let the man know he was going to be shot if he continued what he was doing, and that the police were on the way. Not saying this is required, though.

Score one for the good guys.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Man I just heard this 911 call again on FOX. Granted she did the right thing but this woman will be in agony for a long time. Now they are saying the intruders sister was drunk or pilled out in the car.

Lucky for this woman she had the nerve to shoot but the terror in her voice after she shot is ominous.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CWG
Well likely as there are hacked versions floating around where it seems the woman blasted some harmless drunk.
The guy was drunk ran into a ditch and was banging on her her house. For 10 minutes! Cops didn't show for another 10. I really feel for the woman. I really feel for her.
And this guy was driving stoned out of his mind! What if he killed someone on the way home if his bumper didn't find the ditch instead?
Found this searching for more info.

The woman was on the phone with 911 for over ten minutes before the intruder broke in and the shot was fired . The police arrived 20 minutes after she made the call.

I've been rather critical lately of the tendency of police to jungle up in coffee shops while they're on duty, after the Tacoma shooting last week. This just reinforces my position. Police are supposed to be scattered around their patrol areas so that at any given time, at least one of them is close enough to any given point in an area to respond to a full blown emergency, FAST. Maybe it's boring as hell 99.9% of the time, and probably far more lonely than yucking it up with your pals over coffee, but that's the job.

Listening to the actual call, not the hacked OV version, it's obvious the woman had no choice. It's equally obvious from details provided in the accompanying article, that the intruder shouldn't have had to die. He was apparently drunk out of his mind, and his sister was in the car he had just run into a ditch. According to the account, he had a lifelong history of drug and alcohol related arrests, tended to be something of a mean drunk, but nothing in the report indicated anything along the lines of violent felony crimes.

When seconds count, cops are only minutes away... This sure makes the argument about having self-defense measures at hand when (not if) TSHTF...

Now, if the relatives of the idiot perp don't sue this poor woman, all will be good..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The more I hear about this case, the more I am convinced she did just the right thing. For example, I didn't know that the man actually threw a chair through the glass door to get in, and he did this, apparently, when the woman was holding the shotgun on him in full sight through the glass door. He had it coming, for sure.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just because a guy is drunk or stoned doesn't give him the right to break into my house. Break my window at night trying to break in my house, and I will shoot your ass every time.

Actually, the fact that he WAS drunk or stoned makes him even more dangerous. She did the right thing for sure and certain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The question is if she had a big mean Dog that torn the guy
apart after he broke in would she be charged with anything or
would it be treated the very same way as her shooting him.
That is the question!! Comments please. Merry Christmas to
one and all. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting point and you're likely very much right on.

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
10 min isnt far away.
she lived out in the county in a rural area. even if the nearest cop was only 20 miles away it would take 10 min at well over 100 MPH.
then when the cop kills someone driving 120 people will have an issue with that.
The only thing i have issue with is that the woman never gave any verbal direction. she could have at least screamed at the guy. she was wispering and took no deterent actions.
was she legal?
yes.
but i wouldnt have shot him without a verbal warning, recorded by 911. Its called court preperation.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
glad she did what she did. perhaps word will get around to leave her house alone.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ringworm

but i wouldnt have shot him without a verbal warning, recorded by 911. Its called court preperation.

That's likely because you've been trained or programmed to do so. A scared frantic older woman who has likely never shot a gun nor encountered a perp just wants to be safe. She's not thinking about court. Further, she is being told by a 911 operator she has the right to protect herself. The good news is apparently no charges and rightly so.

Go Nats!!!!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by northcountry
The question is if she had a big mean Dog that torn the guy
apart after he broke in would she be charged with anything or
would it be treated the very same way as her shooting him.
That is the question!! Comments please. Merry Christmas to
one and all. Cheers NC
Good question.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
anyone who owns a weapon for self defense should know better than to tell a 911 operator anything they dont want to hear again at trail.
instructions should come on the side of every box of OO buck.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Under the circumstances, I would say it is the 911 tape that covered her and exonerated her of any charges.

Go Nats!!!!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by byc
Under the circumstances, I would say it is the 911 tape that covered her and exonerated her of any charges.
Exactly. You hear a voice representing police authority telling her she's cleared to shoot if he breaks in. That covers 100% the "reasonableness" of her actions. No way any prosecutor is bringing this to a jury in the hopes of a conviction.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Claude
"I've been rather critical lately of the tendency of police to jungle up in coffee shops while they're on duty, after the Tacoma shooting last week."

That happened as they assembled PRIOR TO their shift start. When I heard that I was impressed they met and got things going before their shifts started. Between just plain enhanced communication within the force and "team building" (gawd I hate that smarmy feeling I get typing that!) they showed a better than decent work environment...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
Coming from an LEO, I'm extremely proud of how brave this woman was. She sounded a lot calmer on the phone than a lot of calls I hear for a lot less serious stuff. I support her decision 100% and hope she has no legal repercussions from the family. I live in a rural area, and it was a good wake up call for my wife seeing this on Fox last night. I struggle with having an accessible weapon for her and keeping stuff out of reach of my ever-searching 4yo boy. I reminded her where the pistol was kept, as well as the short 12ga. I "pity the foo" that attempts this sort of thing while I'm gone, as I know what a pissed off red-headed beauty is capable of.
My sympathies go out to the woman who took a life and will have to deal with it, as well as my congratulations for acting couragous in a scary situation. I don't care how drunk you are, you don't come in any house w/o an invite.

�Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.� Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I liked it when the lady said 'I'm gonna kill him graveyard dead.' I reckon that's just about as dead as dead can get. And she did it.

Poor lady. Terrible to have to do what she did.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,452
Posts18,528,906
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.