Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
From what I have been told, when in the field, you can shot 2 (maybe 3) shots before cleaning. At range, recommend using ramrod and quickly using cleaning patch between shots.

Question...appears that manual says that you should not load primer until you are reafy to shot. I thought that you could load earlier, and that with hammer in rest position, there was not a problem in regards to safety. Is this not the case?

Maybe I should have went with a slug gun after all.

Greg

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've never had any problem with waiting till the end of the day, or even the end of the weekend without cleaning. In fact, I'd not recommend cleaning before a big hunt unless you can re-foul the barrel... Some say you can re-foul by just firing the 209 primers sans powder and bullet but I'm still unconvinced.

I have had a really rough time firing even just twice in a row without some kind of cleaning in between. Some bullets/sabots are harder or easier to load than others but running a spit-patch down the bore after a initial shot means that I won't have a bullet stuck mid way down the barrel when trying to load the next. Peace of mind IMO.

As far as the carrying primed issue is concerned I think that lawyers would have us do some mighty odd things in the name of lessened corporate liability. I'm carrying mine primed with the hammer forward, as I figure most people are. Just treat it as a loaded gun (which it is) and you shouldn't have problems. YMMV.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
A few small points. I bought a T/C Omega stainless, so I'm a fan. As noted on another thread, the drop action made the overall rifle shorter and more balanced than the A&H 420 and I liked the prospect of easy cleaning. When it comes to safety, I think most rifles made by manufacturers are safe as long as used properly.

Greg, I think you can fire a "fouling" shot and depending on what kind of powder and bullet/sabot you're using, you can use a spit patch for another five shots. The powerbelts push easier so you can go a little longer without cleaning. If you are hunting deer or other big game, I would only expect you to shoot once or twice day in the field. I recommend a thorough cleaning at the end of every day and before storing the weapon for the season.

Cleaning is actual more of a hassle at the range when you want to sight in or are playing with load variations. Still, I think it's a small price to pay for the additional days of hunting.

As for hunting primer in, the decision is yours. I can't tell anyone to go against what the manual says, but if I'm sitting in a tree stand, I put the primer in after I'm settled and de-prime before I lower the rifle out of the stand. It's a personal decision.

When you get your rifle dialed in, you'll like it much better than any slug gun.

Hunting success is 90 percent hunter, 10 percent weapon.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I shoot the CVA Kodiak and my father shoots the T/C Omega.Both shoot very well. I bought the Kodiak for a couple of reasons . Yes The 200.00 dollar difference in the Staiinless/ camo helped. I really like the trigger housing on the Kodiak. The omega was too small for me to safely put my gloved finger in and not worry about a accidental discharge. The CVA's is much larger and fit me better. I will give T/C their just due the Omega is a very fine weapon. I just like the feel of the Kodiak.Mine shoots as well as my dads Omega. Ron

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,552
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.