Print Thread
Hop To
L
lentuk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
My wife is losing her job and my best 99 is for sale. I never thought i would ever sell this.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=148787251
Its a real clean early 1930s RS in .300

GB1

L
lentuk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Well I guess my reserve was too high, any suggestions on a realistic price for this rifle?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Apparently someone considered $1200. realistic. Seller may set a reserve, buyer will determine final price if a sale is completed. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Start it at what you need to get out of it, and let the buyers determine the price. If your reserve is what you needed.. looks like you might need to wait a few more years for prices to keep rising.

Personally I won't consider bidding on an auction with a Reserve. Don't understand the purpose of having a hidden starting price and ain't going to waste my time. Jmho..

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Start it at what you need to get out of it, and let the buyers determine the price. If your reserve is what you needed.. looks like you might need to wait a few more years for prices to keep rising.

Personally I won't consider bidding on an auction with a Reserve. Don't understand the purpose of having a hidden starting price and ain't going to waste my time. Jmho..

I have to agree with Rory. I notice many times when a seller starts the auction with a high opening bid, the auction just sits. I don't see the sense of a reserve. It's almost like you want to sell, but you don't want to sell, if you understand what I am saying. I wouldn't be afraid to start something worth a grand at $9.99. The trick is to get them bidding. Once that happens, all hell usually breaks loose. Your rifle is a fine example. Put it out there and let the bidders have at it. You should get a nice price. It's better than not selling it, if that's what you want to do.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have sold MANY items on GB and on eBay. I start almost everything on eBay at .99 cents, and usually wind up with a higher winning bid than anyone else with the same item. LBK has it right. Buyers see a lot of bids and think what you have must be better than what the other guy has. Usually what I have is better but that it another story...!!! smile

As for GB, I start my auctions at what I paid for the item, with no reserve. I am happy with just breaking even. I do not sell because I need the cash, I sell because I have the desire for something better.

I hope this gives you some insight...!!!

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't see anything wrong with a reserve OR a starting price , but not BOTH. JMHO but I wouldn't go $999 on that one if it was the Buy It Now price , it's a 99 not a gold mine , YMMV.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
When you run a reserve it seems to bring out the dreamers that want a $800 rifle for $450 or they just like to see there name in print like some around here. Put it out there for what you know it's worth, take the lose or gain. I see a lot run a reserve and the idea to my best guess is it will get up bids and interest, not for me, won't waste my time. A high percent of bidders would have a blue book, know how to do back search, can judge when the market is down and to wait 6 months, know who the seller is from sites like this and will not buy from, in general play the market. Never,never price out and hope for a sucker then think your a winner. I've seen a few scmucks bid low on GB then try to sell ther own wares at nothing but premo reserves, thinking they are wheeler dealers.
You can see what I'm trying to say, good luck.

You, fat man, speak up. - Will Munny, Unforgiven.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want "true market value" for your gun put it up on GB for 14 days and start the bidding at $1. Everybody in the world that is looking for an RS will see it and get caught up in the frenzy and egomania of the bidding. Gun could go way higher than you think.

In my experience people don't get serious about buying unless or until they know you are serious about selling.

Randy

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Failed to mention: start the bidding at $1 with no reserve.

randy

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree with Randy. This approach might seem risky in that you run the chance that the price you have in mind may not be reached, but the more people you can draw into an auction the better. If bidders KNOW that a rifle is going to sell at the end of an auction they tend to view the whole thing with much greater interest.

Good luck!

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
L
lentuk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Great advise gentlemen,
OK what about listing it no reserve, starting it with a dollar but having a "buy it now" price?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
NOTHING wrong with that!!!! As soon as someone bids on it, doesn't the Buy it Now price disappear?

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No, the Buy it Now stays around unless somebody puts in a bid that exceeds the Buy it Now.

So if you list it starting at $800 with buy it now of $1400.. somebody can put in a max bid of $1500, which wipes out your buy it now. But the current bid will still be at $800 until somebody bids it up higher.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And lentuk, that's what I've done. Just start it at the price you need to get out of it, and if it's worth more the bidding will run it up. A buy it now is always appreciated by the buyers, though I haven't used it myself to sell. Use it often to buy though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear about your wife's job and you having to sell the gun. Heres to better times frown

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
L
lentuk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Well I guess it automatically re-set, If it does not sell I will change it to no reserve.
Thanks all.

Last edited by lentuk; 12/09/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good luck.. very nice rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why would you ever use a "buy now" price as a seller? If there are 2 guys somewhere in the world that really want this gun...who knows how high the price could go?

Start it a $1, no reserve...sky is the limit. It could go way higher than the price you think you wanted or needed for it.

Randy

~Admiral Yamamoto~

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Gun appears to be an decent honest gun. In my humble opinion well worth the $1200. Not an easy gun to find.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (160user, 1234, 219 Wasp, 10ring1, 204guy, 22250rem, 37 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,855
Posts18,517,658
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.