Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I'm kinda looking for a new day pack for elk and deer hunting, I have a cheap little Walmart special one now, but on my recent deer hunt I tried on a friends Badlands (don't know what model) and fell in love. Well other than loving the price I'd like to have one. Is there a different choice for me that offers the same comfort, versatility, and storage as the Badlands. I was looking at the Badlands Diablo, Super day pack, and another one I don't remember right now. I don't really want the 2200 with the frame in it, unless you can convince me otherwise. Thanks for your advice

Last edited by LiveFree; 12/08/09.

"The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed upon"- Thomas Jefferson
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I like Eberlstock packs better personally. The new generation of Badlands packs have issues with the seams and zippers. Google it and I am sure you will find lots. I had a 2200 and it had 3-broken zippers and 1-stuck on my elk hunt. Just my $.02 good luck!

Good Shooting!
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I have heard about the zippers and seems, but they have a lifetime warranty. I see your point though, if you're in the middle of the woods you don't want a zipper or anything to fail you, leaving your gear trailing behind you. I'll look into the pack you suggested. What model do you like?

Last edited by LiveFree; 12/08/09.

"The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed upon"- Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check out the Beretta daypacks that GUOMAHA is selling on eBay. I bought 1 locally for $30 and think that it is a good pack for that $$. The suggested retail on them is over $100, so $30 seems more than fair.

Jeff

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A little spendy, but made in USA and guaranteed for life.

http://duluthpack.com/

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I used a TimberHawk day pack this year. Worked quite well for me. No issues with zippers, has multiple tie down points, was easy to adjust for fit etc. Held all my essentials (I would be "comfortable" overnight with my daypack)plus my DSLR camera.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've tried Cabelas, Bianchi (sp), and Badlands.

Badlands edges in for comfort, but the Cabelas is a good choice as well.

The Badlands day pack is a good size, and the super day pack is simply HUGE for a day pack (used both of them).

Spot

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I've had the LLBean Hunters Pack for a few years now. I'm very pleased. The build quality is nice, lots of adjustments, a detachable survival kit and some compression straps. There are also 4 or 6 lash points for tying to the pack. It's not lite weight at 5lbs 10oz, but for a lower/mid budget I've been very pleased. Keep in mind that this pack is sized for a longer torso - I'm a 21 +/- and it fits me perfectly.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...gory=8884&feat=8884-tn&cat4=1118

Mike.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
"What model do you like?"

I would suggest the X1 or J34. Even better would be a gently used Kifaru Spike Camp or Late Season! I have seen them go around $200-$300 and well worth every cent in my world.

Good Shooting!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
i use a pair by badlands, an older SuperDay, and a Stealth RT rolltop. find i use the stealth RT more often, but both are comfortable 7 do the job for me. no issues with seams or zippers.

============================================================

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Over the years I've learned a few things about hunting packs. Had a cheap model that I bought locally, and I lost a carrying strap on it after several years. So, they need to be tough.
We hunters tend to carry heavy stuff, whereas the average day pack user does not. That means most day packs, particularly the cheap ones, don't carry much weight well at all. And they break down if you force them to do so.
Last of all, I've found that I like the pack to be as small and light as possible. That way, I leave all of the "extra stuff," that means the stuff which sounds good but I'll probably never use, home.
What that means is that I use everything from my little 900 ci Bianchi Hardcore for early season birds, to my 2200 ci. Kifaru Spike Camp for late season deer and elk.
My advice, is to try out what you are considering loaded with all the weight/items you will carry. If it doesn't fit, i.e. feel like it's part of you, I'd pass.
I've tried alot of packs and still own too many. But, for me, even though I thought when I bought them they were way too expensive, Kifaru makes the best hunting packs I've ever tried out. No, I have tested what you are considering, so I don't know. I also don't know how much or how hard you will use yours.
If money is a consideration, you might see what CampMor.com has to offer. E

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L.L. Bean makes a couple of daypacks that are pretty rugged and fairly priced. The Classic Continental Rucksack for $40 and the waxed cotton Continental Rucksack for $100.

We have a couple of the Classic style that we leave at our place in CO for visitors to borrow, so they are rugged enough for low to medium impact sort of use. I probably wouldn't take 1 on the hunt of a lifetime, but for hauling stuff to your stand or for carrying the basics when you still-hunt, they are probably a good choice.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I like the Crooked Horn Outfitters Trailblazer II for a day pack. It can be either used as a backpack or a fannypack, has good shoulder support, heavy duty waiststrap and chest strap.

It's not huge cubic inches-wise but has many handy compartments.

I think it runs about $ 125 or something like that.

P
P
I've been using Duluth Pack stuff for years. Tough packs made of natural materials(canvas/leather) that wear like iron and are ultra quiet in the field. Having lived and hunted in N.Minnesota for years and seeing more than my fair share of 40+ year old DP canoe packs I can certainly say this company builds tough as nails products. Check out this video. It shows one of their bags being built from start to finish...pretty darn cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6nMrJKzDHU

Last edited by packman; 12/10/09.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've really been happy with my Eberlstock X2 as a day pack. Could haul an animal out with it too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LiveFree
I'm kinda looking for a new day pack for elk and deer hunting....

I was looking at the Badlands Diablo, Super day pack, and another one I don't remember right now. I don't really want the 2200 with the frame in it, unless you can convince me otherwise. Thanks for your advice

First off, I'm not a serious backpacker by any means but I have hunted the past two seasons with a 2200.

Yes, 3 of the small zipper 'handles' have snapped off but the zippers themselves work fine. It's an easy fix so that issue is a wash IMO.

I like the 2200 because a guy could fit a boned out deer in that sucker and save a trip back to camp. Before I knew any better I literally whacked a pronghorn in half and hauled it out in two trips. Hide, bones and all...I do not recommend that method....(grin)

The water pouch setup, spotting scope pocket(smaller scope fits best) and tripod pocket are all pretty handy. The external flap is also a useful deal.

I don't think the hardcore backpack crowd is really into Badlands stuff but for the weekend warrior type they are just fine.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like it would have good beer-stowage also, Sam.
grin

Hey,nice muley, by the way.
Did you pop him this Fall?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Tim, John Elway offered me the cold beer back at camp....(laughin')

Yeah, got the deer this season. He looks a little bigger in the pic than he really is. Might go 20" on a good day...maybe...(grin)

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/10/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sweet!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sam I bet he eats just as good whether he's 20 or 22.
Merry Christmas NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (163bc, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,106
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.