Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
akjeff Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Harry,

Hope the action picks up! Mom finally saw a small 8-point tonight, but it was too dark for her to be comfortable to shoot. It went into the thicket near her stand, and she's hoping he'll come out tomorrow morning....I sure hope so!

Good luck tomorrow!

Jeff

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Jeff,

Thanks. On my way out. I need to stay off of here and get some sleep after a days hunting. grin

Harry

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Scorpion:

Just got back from the camp earlier today. Our camp is near Puritan, off of route 164. Hunted there for three days but did not see much. Went down to another camp in Dunlo and things got a lot better. Finally started to see some deer and on Friday afternoon and I got a 5 point around 1:30pm, finally reached the truck two hours later after the drag. Did not hear may shots in the woods. After a not getting a deer for the past few years I was thankfull to have the chance at a shot at one. Talking to the locals it seems like a lot of guys were concentrating on Turkey hunting this year more so than deer. If anyone is hunting PA during the second week, be safe and wack a big one!

Nuff said,

curdog

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
After missing a nine point at about 75 yards on Monday, I shot this buck on Friday at 192 yards. [Linked Image]

I saw more shooter bucks this year than in the past three years.
I hunted the exact same spot all three years.It was an eerily quiet first day and I saw relatively few doe. I know that the pressure was down because the patch of ground that I hunt is a well used escape route and I normally see at least 50 different deer on the first day .

Doug

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I could only get friday and today off. I got a little six point in Potter on friday. No luck today filling the doe tag.

Nothing like a fine shotgun and a good bird dog.
Franchi Veloce O/U, 7Rm and Orvis rod.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same here.

Started out Monday with a 25-06, had a four pointer close by and lots of baldies, got a brief glimpse of a rack buck, but no shot. Switched to an antique M92 I've been wanting to take a deer with and dropped a big doe around noon. Earliest I've ever taken a doe, since concurrent seasons started in 2001.

Normally don't "doe hunt" until late in the first week, or in the second week. No regrets. Now have about 70 pounds of venison in the freezer and finally got to take something with that old Winchester. ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Still no tag filled out. Saw ll today. Just about got blown out of the woods today with wind. Had to be pushing 40 to 50mph. Some trees snapping. Decided in the woods was not a good place to be.

Still blowing like crazy. Hope it calms down some tomorrow.

Jeff: Your Mother do any good yet?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Today would've been a wild one for sure, it was blowing like crazy here in Pittsburgh. Wish I was at home, as we got two or three inches at the house, and over 6" up on the mountain. I'm hoping it hangs around til this weekend!

akjeff Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Still no tag filled out. Saw ll today. Just about got blown out of the woods today with wind. Had to be pushing 40 to 50mph. Some trees snapping. Decided in the woods was not a good place to be.

Still blowing like crazy. Hope it calms down some tomorrow.

Jeff: Your Mother do any good yet?

Harry,

Nope, nada. It was blowing like crazy at her place, and she chose to stay home. At 72, I cut her some slack about being a fair weather hunter! grin
Sure hope it eases up, for the last couple of days......good luck!

Jeff

C
C
I got this deer Monday morning.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by country52; 12/09/09.
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Nice buck, country52. Congrats.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've been looking for him, now I know way I can't find him. Wish you would have told me earlier.

Congrats, nice buck.

C
C
Thanks

battue, I see your right outside Harrisburg. I'm about 1/2 hour north myself.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nah, it would be taother burg.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
spent 4 days in state game lands 100--route144--ain't seen a hair yey, nor have i seen any sign. too many gas wells.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Furnace controller went on the blink sometime last night. No hunting today. ONE day left. Need to pull out some mojo....

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Gotta do some work at our farm in Clarion County tomorrow. Figured since I'll be there anyway, I might as well take a rifle along and leave a little earlier... smile

Hunt for a couple hours, then do the work, and maybe hunt the rest of the day. We'll see....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well the fat lady has walked off stage. It's over and the deer beat me. Saw 14 today, one buck following 5 does and grunting his throat out. Couldn't get a good look at the horns, so I hope he is having some fun tonight with a late bloomer.

Been a great year. Hunted every day but one. Saw 70 some deer. A few small bucks that should be ok for next year. One nice buck that didn't offer a shot. Wild turkeys on three or four days. A Black Bear with Cubs. Grouse that gave me a start when I was sneaking. Canada Geese flying overhead.

More than a couple Deer gave me the snort and beat me to the punch. And a few I gave them the snort before they had a clue.

Blessed to live in a country I can hunt and have the right to have firearms.

Hunted with some old rifles and new. Hunted with some old friends. Visited more than a few places that hold cherished memories of past hunts.

Lord willing, I can do it again next year.

Last edited by battue; 12/12/09.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
And that about says it all.

Dale

This space for rent

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The one thing left out was the trip back to the world. The phones, traffic and putting up with people you really don't care for. Used to spend time in an isolated Pa. North woods camp for a week or so a couple times a year with at most one friend or a girl who liked the same. At one time it was heated only by the fireplace and the lights were all coleman lantern. You had time to get into the rhythm of day/night and being in what the shrinks rightly call the present. When going home, the first time I would turn on the truck radio it was like being shocked it was that abrasive. Tomorrow will be much the same.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,094
Posts18,483,019
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.