-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
I know they made the BLR in a steel receiver and straight grip called the BLR Lightweight-81 for a while. Now they have a straight grip and a pistol grip model with aluminum receivers. I am interested in getting a short action BLR and want to know if the old steel receivers are better than the new aluminum ones. Are their pro's and con's to the straight grip vs the pistol grip stock?

How much heavier would a steel receiver BLR-81 be then an aluminum one in the same caliber?

Did they ever make a steel receiver pistol grip BLR?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm curious about this too; I think a 358 BLR is going to be my next gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're opening pandora's box with this question. I don't believe either is better, it just a matter of what you want, new or old.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To me, the advantages over the pistol grip vs. the straight grip is that I can control the pistol grip stock better than the straight one and I get a better trigger pull with the pistol grip.

Bay Dog is right, nothing wrong with the aluminum receiver...it's plenty strong as lockup is in the breech area of the (steel) barrel.
The aluminum version is lighter, the steel version may be more receptive to re-bluing to cover blemishes from wear and tear (though, I'm not really sure of that).

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a steel 358 and two of the newer aluminum 358s. The aluminum are both the stainless steel version. Both have laminate stocks and a straight grip. The steel also has the straight grip.One of the aluminum is a takedown version. All are very accurate. The takedown is surprisingly the most accurate. I am actually planning on selling the nontakedown as I really don't need 3 358s.I prefer the straight grip over the pistol grip. Between the steel and aluminum the only advantage I can see is that it is much easier to find parts and extra mags for a new BLR.

IC B2

B
B
I have both an 81 steel and a new lighting in .308. I like the new gun better because of the mag being flush and the pistol grip helps to control the trigger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One really needs to handle both the pistol grip and the straight grip BLR to compare. I thought the pistol gripped version would fit me better until I tried the straight grip right next to it.

I have shot a steel 308 Win BLR and my own aluminum 358 Win. I like the aluminum only for the reason that it is lighter to carry in the field. Afterall, one tends to carry a rifle in the field more than one shoots it.

I wish Browning would come out with a 22" barrel for standard calibers. My only complaint with the BLR is that the barrel seems to light or "whippy" for me. I've handled the magnum versions and the 22" barrels seem to feel better balanced to me.

Dan

C
OP Offline
C
I am now the proud owner of a BLR-81 steel receiver in .308 with a Leupold VX-II 1-4 power scope!!! The entire package is in excellent condition with two tiny nicks on the stock and thats it. I paid $750 plus tax Canadian for the package, I think I made off well. Thanks

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Canadian; 12/15/09.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
congratulations!

RLA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
that thing is junk, please send to me asap! congrats, i would love to have that set up.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice setup, I'm thinking of something along the
same. Let me know how it works out....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
CONGRAT'S, that is a beautiful little rifle. I am also looking at a BLR ...

... as, I recently spotted a Browning Lever Rifle, Limited-Edition, (non-catalogued), Synthetic Camo (straight-grip) Stock, Satin Stainless Receiver, light-weight short-action ... chambered in .450 Marlin. (the only one in the store).

So, those aluminum receivers must be plenty "strong" standing up to that caliber ...

It is New-In-Box, and clearance priced "WELL" under $600. I was so excited when I saw the price tag ... Now I can't even remember the "exact" price: $500 & how-much??)

I'm thinking that it's NOT going last long at that price. A friend wants to buy my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun (Stainless) 45-70. (If I would rather have the BLR.)

The BLR is pretty, but so is my Marlin ... and I'm a little recoil sensitive, because of a C-6 issue in my neck ...

So maybe I don't (really) need either rifle. But if this BLR lever-gun was chambered for the .308 ... I'd already have it.

P
P
Congratulations. The BLR is a nice rifle.

I have one of each -- steel and aluminum receiver -- in 308. The steel receiver is a little smoother but it has also been shot a lot more. The aluminum receiver is a little lighter. Maybe 3/4 pound. The new one is a takedown with the scout mount and a Leupold 2.5x28 IER scope. The older model is scopeless right now and will probably get a 2x or 4x fixed power scope after Xmas.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 219DW, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 1,503 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,871
Posts18,478,711
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.