-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two, one BAR and one MGA and use the MGA all the time.
In fact since my youngest son has claimed my 30-06 I use it almost exclusively.
I shoot my ARs and 450M but for hunting I always like my 338.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
HR IC

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've had several over the years mostly Winchester or Ruger. Still have a Ruger right now with the Skeleton stock. I wish it had sights. It's mostly what I use the last few years, except when I get side tracked.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of my favorite rounds. Have had five, four of which had 22" bbl's. However, ended up going with the 300 WSM seven years ago. Does the same, kicks less and in a Kimber Montana weighs less.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've had 4. The 4th is on consignment going away.

First gun was good and had I not [bleep] it up, I'd probably still have it. I had a real fight getting it to shoot, finally hit a needle in a haystack with Barnes 210 grain X bullets and 4350. Barnes bullets were not to be found here back then. It was the old X which fouled bad in "smooth" (not!!) Ruger stainless steel. I "melted" the corners off the rifling trying to get the copper out with Sweets 7.62. Didn't clue in when the fouled patches started coming out black instead of blue or green. My bad.

The next two were Ruger 77 mark IIs with laminated stocks, basically the same gun as the first, never could get them accurate enough.

After a long spell without one, I had a long magnum 700 rebarreled. Accuracy was just not quite there. Very good for about 200-250 yards. For no apparent reason, groups at 300 yards strung horizontally. I had wind flags, no wind, less than a half mph, so that wasn't it. I gave up on it after a while.

I guess it could eventually come back home if I don't get enough $$ out of it, it's a 700 XCR action, Bansner/High Tech stock with a decellerator pad, and 22.5" Lilja barrel in factory profile. Cool gun. It's not bad enough I'm giving it away, that's for sure!

The 2nd and 3rd gun were never accurate enough to waste time hunting with. Got a deer with the 1st one before I fouled it up. Never shot much other game with .338 but I shot a [bleep] of digger squirrels with it while I was practicing. Some may choose to argue, but to me it seemed like "enough gun". smile

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I resisted for the longest time, but I have finally admitted to myself that the .338 Win. mag. is the best caliber available to meet my big game hunting needs, which today are almost exclusively focused on elk. CP.

My .338 Win. mag.
Classic 70 action with a 22" PAC-NOR barrel and a McMillan featherweight stock
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like a plan Chris!

PS, was right near your house today on the way out of town... hope all's well with you and the Mrs!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Dad was unsure where life would take me when I graduated college so he bought me a Ruger MKII SS/Lam 338 Win Mag. He was far from a gun loony, but was told it would cover everything in North America easily. I remember looking at two identical Rugers in the local shop prior to graduating. One in 300 and one in 338 Win Mag and telling him that I had read on the internet laugh that the 338 recoil was more of a shove. So far I've tried my darndest to show him that it would handle anything I'd hunt. So for I've shot elk, sitka blacktail, mule deer, and pronghorn with it and either 200gr BTs or 210gr Partitions. I lost Dad a year ago in November and I plan on keeping filling tags with it. It will by far be the last rifle I would ever get rid of.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pointer, if you ever need to sell that gun cause you need the money, let me know

cause I'll loan you the money on the most favorable terms you could imagine

heck of a good rifle, heck of a good way to remember dad, rock on brudda, but take care of your feet! (grin)

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
CP: That's a slick rifle! What contour is the PN barrel?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Brad, if you are ever out my way again and have the time, be sure to stop by my place. I know I would enjoy the conversation.

Bob, the barrel is a custom contour that I also run on my .350 Rem. mag. and Norma. The shank�s diameter at the receiver is 1.5�� and the step down at a 35 degree radius is only 1.160� from the receiver ending at .615� at the muzzle. I really believe that you can move the needle on weight savings and balance by working with the barrel makers on the dimensions of the shank area. PAC-NOR�s standard contours have a shank that is way too long and beefy for my purposes. CP.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CP-very nice looking rifle, that'll handle all I'd ever want to do in the world of hunting.

Enjoy your day!

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
You want the truth 7STW?

You can't handle the truth!!
[Linked Image]

Sorry, I was having a moment....

grin

I aint got a 338.

300 wby is my go fast smack em hard rifle.

Something clever here.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Here's mine. I don't really "need" this rifle but always wanted one and couldn't resist when I saw the stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by smokepole; 12/11/09.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Meanwhile I�d built a .308Norma for my wife and I liked the cartridge so much I had the .338 rebarreled into another .308Norma so I�d quit putting dents in her rifle.

Dwayne,

A Merry Christmas to you and your family. I find a lot of humor in your post. grin
Thanks for making me smile today.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
7 STW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
You want the truth 7STW?

You can't handle the truth!!
[Linked Image]

Sorry, I was having a moment....

grin

I aint got a 338.

300 wby is my go fast smack em hard rifle.

Thanks fellas for your posts.That big Roy is a keeper Dave.Good round

7 STW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Meanwhile I�d built a .308Norma for my wife and I liked the cartridge so much I had the .338 rebarreled into another .308Norma so I�d quit putting dents in her rifle.

Dwayne,

A Merry Christmas to you and your family. I find a lot of humor in your post. grin
Thanks for making me smile today.

Tom

Yup he's a good dude.Always enjoy pming with Dwayne.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I,ve had a 338 for quite a few years now.Shot alot of game with it.Probably could have stopped buying rifles after I got it but that would'nt have been any fun!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
pointer, if you ever need to sell that gun cause you need the money, let me know

cause I'll loan you the money on the most favorable terms you could imagine

heck of a good rifle, heck of a good way to remember dad, rock on brudda, but take care of your feet! (grin)
Thanks for the kind words and offer! I can't ever imagine being so strapped that I'd ever have to part with that rifle, but again thanks for the offer. You know, I think a good way to remember my Dad would be to chase bears around in AK off a boat on the river. Now I just need to find some one in AK with a boat on a river... wink

Funny thing, that rifle is HEAVY, but I've never really noticed it being all that much of a hinderance. A Kifaru GB helps loads! I keep thinking I "need" something lighter and less powerful for smaller critters, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to buy anything else. Instead I usually by a tag and tote the heavy rifle...

PS- I do take better care of my feet now! laugh

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Tzone actually txt me last night while I was out workin in the shop.

He was trying to get me to buy a .338 he found at a gander mountain.

Said it was an older pf M70 with wood stock, sounds like it had irons that were removed.

Price was good.

He's an evil man.

Something clever here.

B
B
I really love my .338. Its a Lh sako previously in a mannlicher stock. It is my go to elk rifle in washington state. Took a spike this last season at 10 yards, he went 30 after being hit and just tipped over. Complete pass through! 225 nosler partition. The area I hunt is crawling with orange clad hunters and putting the animal down quickly with little follow up is important to me.

"Well that oughta do it"-Butch Cassidy
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.