Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by 358wsm
...and by all means,
"Don't believe the crap about scrubbing out Barnes copper with the TSX clan of bullets..."

Yeah, just load that bore chuck full of it..., break out the bronze/brass/steel brushes, the high ammonia content solvents, a couple dozen patches, a little accelerator, a shot of foaming cleanser, allow to "work over night"...and tomorrow you can shoot 3 more before repeating the process...

Scott

So your accuracy has dropped off after three shots? I'm guessing you're the type of guy that wipes his butt before dropping a deuce.

Carry on.

Your assumption concerning my degree of accuracy is interesting.., but then again there is a saying about those who "assume..."

Which leads me into my next pondering, "Why does this guy have such a strange fasination with my arse..?"

Scott

Then why the heck are you cleaning after 3 shots? You'll also notice a question mark after the original post (likewise to your PM which you ain't 'Come to the Plate on). You do understand the purpose of a question mark, yes?

oooops, sorry Scott,

Didn't notice the PM...
I was grillin' Moose...
Just another boring Partition kill...

Were you questioning my experiences (refering to them as "Crap") with the TSX.., again?

Now again, it's my experience that when I respond to your questions which deal with my rifle bores and buller fouling, you drift off into some kind of deranged thinking and sick fantacy about my neather region...
Maybe your alternative lifestyle (complete with same sex butt fasination), and the wiping there of) is popular where you live, but where I am from a man could get hurt for speaking that way...

As for question marks...yes, I know what they are. But I also know how to phrase a question. You do know how to phrase a question don't you ?
You did not ask a question. Instead, you made a statement, and then used incorrect punctuation at the end of your sentance...I really didn't want to correct you again here in front of everyone, so I let it be.

My accuracy is fine, and so are my optics. But I don't wait until the scope is full of snow before I clean it out, and neither do I wait until my barrel is full of copper until I clean it either.

But I think the 130's and those 110's are more suited to you. They do not produce much recoil, which won't bruise your tender shoulder.

I liked your pics, but did notice that there was an absense of a band on your left hand. That, along with your "tender shoulder bullets," and your fasination with the cleanliness of other mens butts, portrays another picture of you.

I wasn't going to point that out either... but even a blind man could smell it.

Scott

ld

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'll take the Nosler 150 or 165 partitions every time over a Barnes X...I have seen too many failures when the nose pinches shut on Barnes X bullets..Maybe the new ones are better but I think I will stick with partitions and with bonded core bullets.

I have no problem with what others use, but don't make a flat statement that they are the best thing since sliced white bread, they ain't, they are your favorite and thats a good thing..I don't like using light bullets and I am not a monolithic fan unless they are GS Customs bullets, and a hand full of deer is not test for a bullet IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn, you guys are making me feel bad for using Speer Hot Core 180's. whistle

So.. I finally purchased a digital camera (early Christmas gift to myself) and will post some pics (next kill) of the "woop ass power" these poor man bullets have on the piggies. wink

Carry on .. BP...

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I might try the 150gr Partition too.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use the 165 Partition in a couple of .300 Gs and an EG as well. Partitions have always worked for me and likely always will. I never have to second guess how they're gunna work. I've seen one questionable result from a TSX. It was my sons antelope last year that he took with his 7-08 at 100 yards using a 120 grain TSX. The bullet did not expand as far as we could tell. It zipped right on through the rib cage and heart with an exit wound the same size as the entrance. There was a 7mm hole in the heart. So far, I have never seen a Partition do that. I've used TSX in other rifles and they've been accurate and effective. I personally don't see the advantage to using them in my Savages though.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Federali!!! you have not loaded 51 grains of 4320 and 150 grain bullets and lived to tell about it. Do NOT load 51 grains of ANYTHING in a 300 SAVAGE. 42to 44 grains of 4320 is about max load in ANY gun, not just a 99. Please repost and clarify.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Glad you caught that birddog65. Good example of why you should verify loads you get off the internet. I bet he meant 41 grains. Can you even get 51 grains in a .300 Savage case?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The 300 Savage is a wonderful light recoiling rifle and caliber combination..Anyone can shoot it and its a killer for sure..A 150 gr. bullet at 2800 FPS is easy to achieve in a mod.99 and only about 100 FPS slower than a .308..but even at a mild 2600 FPS it slays deer with aplomb..

I see absolutly no advantage to a 130 gr. bullet and if you take a going South shot, regardless of printed opines, the 150 gr. Nosler has more penetration than the 130 gr. Barnes X..That is advertising hype and if you don't believe that then do the tests yourself. I have with more than a few calibers.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Over the years I've shot nothing but Rem bulk. I've filled the freezer just fine. Over the years the bullet market has gone like the cell phone,bigger, badder,newer. Any one sticking to one name brand these days is just in the consumer learning stage.
Call me old school or cheap, your choice. What I have learned over the years is the plastic tip crap is just that. My opinion.

You, fat man, speak up. - Will Munny, Unforgiven.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by atkinson
The 300 Savage is a wonderful light recoiling rifle and caliber combination..Anyone can shoot it and its a killer for sure..A 150 gr. bullet at 2800 FPS is easy to achieve in a mod.99 and only about 100 FPS slower than a .308..but even at a mild 2600 FPS it slays deer with aplomb..

I see absolutly no advantage to a 130 gr. bullet and if you take a going South shot, regardless of printed opines, the 150 gr. Nosler has more penetration than the 130 gr. Barnes X..That is advertising hype and if you don't believe that then do the tests yourself. I have with more than a few calibers.

There is absolutely no DISADVANTAGE, that's for sure. Course I never said it was the single best thing since sliced bread Ray, but reading comprehension has never been your strong point.

Concerning Texas heart shots, that is exactly how I took this Texas hog a few weeks ago with a 130gr TTSX fired from a 300 Savage, so I needn't guess Ray. Knowing trumps guessing every time

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I did by mistake mean to say the plastic tip and the others that will come to market to make you think you are getting the biggest, baddest, mo better are a market ploy that has just begone to catch the eye of a new mtv market shooter. Call it what you like but it is sales, not the rifle or the shooter.

Last edited by devilsclub; 12/12/09.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You hitting the bottle again?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by devilsclub
Over the years I've shot nothing but Rem bulk. I've filled the freezer just fine. Over the years the bullet market has gone like the cell phone,bigger, badder,newer. Any one sticking to one name brand these days is just in the consumer learning stage.
Call me old school or cheap, your choice. What I have learned over the years is the plastic tip crap is just that. My opinion.

Umm.. Nosler Partitions have been around for over 60 years. I don't think any sane person can say I'm falling for marketing hype on new plastic tipped bullets.. Especially since the Partiton isn't plastic tipped.

And I'm glad you've never, ever suffered a failure with the cheap cup and core bullets. I lost a lot of meat to cheap ammo with cheap bullets that failed to penetrate before I did some research and found a better solution for me.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
No, I've been doing good, thanks.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Stupid newbie question: If you are just hunting meat, using maybe 10 rounds to sight in and one for each kill, what's wrong with a box of 150 gr. Corelocks? Sure as h..l cheaper than all the reloading junk for an available calibre and for years has worked just fine. Also you don't end up arguing with friends about how many angels will fit on the head of a pin.

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs...."

John

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
tic-toc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK. I'll toss this out. Between my wife, my son, and me, we've shot and killed a fair number of moose and deer. When we started, we used Nosler 180 grain partitions. Wife's first moose was killed with 1 shot with a partition. Complete pass through. No bullet recovery. Rifle, model 740 Remington. Load=IMR 4831 56 grains. Velocity 2642 through a chronograph. Small hole in,,,,,,,,small hole out. Not very impressive, but nonetheless,,,,,dead moose. Next year, I killed a record book moose with the same bullet with a Ruger #1B in '06. My load was IMR 4350. 56.5 grains. Velocity was 2957 through a 26" tube. Standard deviation was 2.9. My rifle loved it and the load was extremely accurate. 4 rounds in the boiler room to kill this moose. 180 grain Nosler recovered and it weighed 72 grains. I was way less than impressed, but again, DEAD moose. Then in 1997 my son killed a moose, again with my reloads. The powder was IMR 4831 56 grains. His rifle was a model 7600 Remington in '06. His bullet was a Barnes 180 grain XFB. The velocity was 2591. When this bullet was recovered, it weighed in at a whopping 172 grains and we recovered 3 of them and the all weighed in at 167-172. Now all you statisticians may have other ideas, but this is my experience. I want weight retention so a partition is my LAST choice. Copper fouling has never been a problem.

However, deer are a different animal. Thin skinned, relatively easy to kill. I, personally, never reach for a premium bullet. A Hornady spire point or round noce is fine for me as is the Speer Hot Core. Just stick it where it belongs and you'll be eating heart and liver for dinner. .300 Savage has been a deer killer for me.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Your right. I do reload and shoot 2 to 3 thousand Rem bulk a year and for the money they are hard to beat. The others will do such and such but to me, dead is dead.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'll jump in on this. I haven't been outside for two days and today looks colder. I agree, "dead is dead" but only if it is the last animal you will ever shoot and you are done hunting. I have shot many deer and initially been quite pleased... until I dressed the deer out and recovered the bullet or what was left of the bullet. Yes, I remain pleased that I got the deer, didn't have to track it, etc., but when I realized that it was mainly luck that a fragmented bullet did the job, I get worried about using it again. Likewise, a bullet that fails to open up can produce a clean kill but can you count on it?

Let's look at it from another perpective (and yes, I am bored today). Let's say you and I go hunting. We each have a rifle, different calibers. I'm using a tomato stake in .300 Sav. and you are using a M110 in .270. We drive off-road an entire day to get to our remote hunting site. As we pull our gear out you realize you forgot your ammunition. This happened because you're not very bright (oops - must have thought I was Steelhead for a second wink )

Anyway, I happen to have a box of handloads for your caliber rifle in the pickup that match your caliber rifle, but they are loaded up with "solid" bullets. Last time we went to the range you even ran some of these through your rifle and they shot well. As you are out of options you decide to hunt with the loads. During our hunt you shoot a big animal and it's a good clean kill. So, with, "dead" being, "dead" do you now switch to this killer load for future hunts? By the way, the end of the story turns out that you don't switch loads. And I decide I really don't have use for the .270 solids and put them on gunbroker for sale. Here they are:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=149974928

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Steve...!!! Coffee through the nose again... grin grin grin

Way too funny... smile

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 58 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,909
Posts18,518,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.