Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wsmnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Anyone have a picture of one of these? I can't find one...

Thanks. Toying with a new synthetic for my Model 70.

wsmnut

Wsmnut

Belief is often the death of reason.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Here is what they look like as received from D'arcy. You will need to have them finished, painted, pad added, bedded, etc. They are exceptionally fast handling stocks with very straight combs and wide butts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice lines, I may need to get one for my 340.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Does anyone know the price and lead time from Darcy?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JAB
Does anyone know the price and lead time from Darcy?

Basically the same as straight from McMillan on both counts. It is worth the wait.

[Linked Image]

Here's a Hunters edge AKA compact on top and a McMillan classic on the bottom:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Price might be different now that McMillan has raised their prices, but I paid $430 for mine and lead time was 6 months.

That lead time might be shorter now as well because McMillan has shrunk their lead time on stocks ordered directly from them to about 3 months, at least that is how long my last stock from them took.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just an unimformed question, how can a tupperware stock cost almost as much as the rifle itself?

`Bring Enough Gun`
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by orion03
Just an unimformed question, how can a tupperware stock cost almost as much as the rifle itself?

Orion: They ain't Tupperware...there's as much comparison between those Echols stocks and the Tupperware types as there is between French walnut and plywood.These may be synthetic but they are very good stocks....

RickF: Nice rifles! Love that Norma!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by orion03

The Echols Legend stock was custom designed by D'Arcy Echols and then McMillan built a mold around that design. The lines of this stock are as good, if not better, than the lines on many custom wood stocks. The detailing around the cheek piece, and the lines in front of the magazine box extending forward into the forearm are subtleties that you only find on stocks designed by gunmakers.

Like BobinNH said, they ain't Tupperware; if you're only experienc with synthetic stocks comes from the Ramline and Bell and Carlson then you're in for a pleasant surprise with an Echols McMillan.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You truly are uninformed about synthetic stocks if you think that they are all alike.Mcmillan stocks are not made of plastic like most injection molded factory stocks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know how long it takes to grow a walnut tree?

`Bring Enough Gun`
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Yes, actually. I do know how long it takes to grow a walnut tree. Then add roughly 15 years to that for air drying.

A reasonable cost for a custom walnut stock from a competent stock maker is about $1200 and that's a low price, not including the cost of the blank.

With a McMillan I wait six months, pay $450, and bolt it right to the gun. Easy as pie. I consider the Echols stock a bargain compared to what I would have to pay a skilled stock maker to build a comparable stock from Walnut.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
RickF: Nice rifles! Love that Norma!

Thanks Bob. As we speak that rifle is a few hours north of here on a bison hunt. How sad is that...I don't get to go chase bison this year but a buddy and my rifle do!

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll take the cost and the waiting, thank you.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know how long it takes to grow a walnut tree?

Does the time it takes to grow a walnut tree make a walnut stock stronger or mare stable than a Mcmillan stock?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't say it did but at least you can look at it.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't say it did but at least you can look at it.

I don't buy guns to look at,I buy them to shoot.And I could care less about fancy looks if I can have the strongest,most stable stock made,for a fraction of the cost of a piece of high dollar termite bait that isn't as strong or as stable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually I have a few of those stocks myself. Just wanted to see how attached to those stocks you guys have. Evidently you feel pretty strongly about them. Just bought a Sub-MOA Vanguard that I am very fond of. Just giving you guys a hard time. That termite bit was pretty funny. Guess I better go check some of my pre-64's.

`Bring Enough Gun`
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If there's termite damage on your pre-64 it'd only prove that insects have good taste wink

I like walnut as much as the next guy, and am building a solid walnut desk from a section of a tree right now (1" thick, 6' long, 2' wide, natural edges, going to be beautiful), and Echols does offer his Legend design in walnut.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,799
Posts18,516,200
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.