Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Hi Folks,
I have a conflict between my Savage 99EG and my Lyman SA1a tang sight. The tang at the rear is lower than the wood surrounding it. Therefore, if I tighten down the Lyman, it will cut into the wood at the rear of the tang. I don't want to damage the wood. I've tried a .025 shim behind the rear screw, and later a washer under the rear sight screw, and neither worked. I know I am not the only one with this problem. Any ideas? Many thanks, and God Bless, Marc

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There was a guy on here a couple weeks ago that successfully bent his back into shape, you can roll back a few threads and see if you can't find it again.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Marcruger, Some of the buttstocks are"PROUD" near the tang and the lyman and marbles tang sight wont work without removing a bit of wood. This i don't recommend. Find a Redfield or Lyman reciever sight that uses the tang sight holes, then you wont have to damage the stock. Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think he is talking about a tang sight Don, not a 57SA.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thank you Don. I have actually held a couple of 99 receiver sights in my hand, and the base of each followed the receiver contour down over the wood on the side. Same issue as the tang sight....the wood is higher at the side, so it would have to be relieved too. If someone made an oval base the just sat on the tang, without following the wood contour on the side, that would work. I haven't seen one, but maybe you guys have? I know there were different tang sights for R/RS models, and one for for the other 99's. This one follows the contour of the EG, but simply hits the wood. Am I worrying too much here? Does everyone else just screw it down against the stock and let it be? MadDog, I did see that thread, but I would have to put a real kink in mine to get it to clear the wood. :-( I am afraid it would break. Thanks for the ideas. God Bless, Marc

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Use a thicker shim. If that doesn't work you might look to see if the stock is seated correctly.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thank you Rick. You know, I pondered that seating question. Is there a trick to insuring it is seated right? The long tenons are lined up right at the receiver. Is there anything at the lower tang that would adjust the angle? Many thanks and God Bless. Marc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Marc,

Sounds like you are pretty quickly running out of options... if you can not get it to fit with a combination of shims and bending your only choice as I see it would be to sand down the stock... if the gun is original in all ways, I would not do that... if its got a pad on it then what the heck.

Your best option is likely to buy a set of stiths and scope it or shot it with open sights.

Andrew
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Hi Folks, Well, after church I took the 99EG down again and studied some more. It looks like a Lyman 57SA could indeed work. The wood is "proud" in a gentle hump behind the tang inletting, but is flush beside it. So, the 57SA would not conflict. Having the windage adjustment would be nice too. :-) I also made the contoured & tapered shim for the lower tang, and made sure there was clearance behind the tang's end. I flushed the action with Remington Dri-Lube. The 99 action seems like a good use for Dri-Lube, so oil does not migrate to the stock. I did lighty lube the wear surfaces. Thanks to all for the suggestions. Does anyone have a 90% or better 57SA they really hate and want to get rid of? ;-) Heh, heh. God Bless, Marc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pictures?

Run for your life,surrender or stand up and fight!
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
[Linked Image]
I think Rick99 was right. I have tried a temporary hard plastic shim and it lifts it enough and the screw still catches. The shim can be seen as a tan rectangle in the photo. If you look closely, you can see how the tang falls away under the sight, but the bottom of the Lyman wants to touch the stock. I need to make a metal shim under there and that should do it. Lot of experimenting. BTW, what is the tang sight mounting screw thread for the 99's? Sorry for the flash photography. Many thanks, and God Bless, Marc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you looked at all the #s Wood sure looks proud just after the top tang!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Threads are 8-40, 1/4" long, oval head. If you need a longer one PM me, I think I have a couple of 3/8" around here somewhere.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave09
Have you looked at all the #s Wood sure looks proud just after the top tang!

From the Photo,The wood Looks like it was raised a Tad,,Look at the receiver you see about the same exposed metal as the wood is proud to the tang,,Perhaps try loosing the Butt Stock bolt and see if the wood will move down a tad.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The line from the front of the Tang/Receiver back looks right, it's at the end of the tang it looks off!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tang/Receiver/Stock! Line!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is a significant hump right behind the tang. Haven't seen anything that large on any of my pre-mils. Somebody sleeping on the stock fitting line? Maybe a swapped stock? Or possibly mis-aligned as others have suggested..

Good luck.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thank you for the comments all. I had a .300 where the wood was "proud" all the way around, with all matching serial numbers. In this case, the numbers on the wood are not serial numbers. As in, there are an assortment of letter and numbers stamped into the butt and the foreend in no particular pattern, but they are not close to adding up to a serial number. They do seem to match each other as far as factory finish and each other's color. The wood seems to fit the receiver and tang lines fairly well (allowing for some shrinkage over time), but there is a "hump" behind the tang inletting. Oh well, no biggie. I will continue to play with a shim for the current sight (thank you for the tang screw offer Rick99, I PM'ed you). If that doesn't work out solid, I think a Lyman 57SA would work just fine on this rifle. Best wishes, Merry Christmas, and God Bless, Marc

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Oh yes, I will also try loosening the stock again and shifting the buttstock down a bit. I've had it off twice in the last few days making a thin shim for the lower tang as described here in the forums. Each time it went on, it seemed to go back in the same place, but that could just be my lack of attention to seating it downward fully. Thank you again for the input. God Bless, Marc

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Marc, in the 50's they stopped stamping the serial numbers on the stocks and started stamping a code. So what you're seeing is normal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (300_savage, 2ndwind, 1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 375TN, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 20 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,326
Posts18,505,869
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.