Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
My camera is about 7-8 years old and now is a good time to upgrade.
I'm in need of direction.
$300.$400 price range, stout, compact as I take it into the back country on horse back,stout,able to take short movies as well, stout.... think that covers the wants and needs.
Thanks for your input.
Jim

GB1

TTS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jim, Kinda looking for the same thing. I also like being able to use AA/AAA batteries. Tom

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like my Olympus Stylus 1030SW. I bought it just before they did a re-design to make it look a little prettier. I bought it after much frustration when in the snow. My other digitals just wouldn't work when it got to about freezing. My Olympus Stylus hasn't given me any problems at all, and I have a six year old and a four year old that use it almost as much as I do (and they ain't easy on cameras).

It fits in a pocket due to the slim design and is "ruggedized". It does not have much of a zoom though, that's the only downside I've found with it; although I figure it's due to it's ruggedized design and I'd rather have the ruggedized camera than a better zoom.

Here's basically what I've got, but mine is a 10.1 megapixel (that they no longer offer):

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1448

The Stylus Tough 6000 is a little less money and has a little less "stoutness" (5ft drop, 10 ft waterproof, etc., versus the Stylus Tough 8000).

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
BTW, the Olympus uses a XD, not SD memory card and the battery is rechargable (not AAA or AA batteries), so those could be considered downsides.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Cannon G-10 is one of the more stoutly constructed high-end point and shoots. It should be withing spittin distance of your price range. It also has some features usually only found in SLR type camera's that give you more flexibility in how you shoot your photo's. But it's stout construction and high resolution would probably be it's best selling points.

If I were you I'd give Joel at Cameraland a call and see if he has any G-10's in stock and ask about other comparable items they might have. They always have very good prices and sometimes come up with GREAT deals - they certainly have for me..........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Go with the Olympus Stylus tough 8000. It is a 12 mp with a 3.6x zoom. It can be dropped from 5' and go 33' under water. Very bright screen and preforms great in low light. Does video with audio. We have a special 24 hour price for a kit
Camera with an extra battery, 4 gig micro sd card and a case for 349.99 shipped in the USA.
Call me with any questions

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If I was to purchase a compact digital camera today it would be the Canon PowerShot S90. I have seen them on sale for $399.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Canon just repaired my 5+ year old PowerShot s230 for FREE! They did the same for an ailing camcorder, though it was only 4-ish years old. To say that I'm pleased with their customer service is an epic understatement.

Now, if only they made rifle scopes...

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What do you think about the Canon in regard to being "stout"? Looks like Jim's biggest requirement is "stout", and probably not like Guinness smile .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by acesandeights
What do you think about the Canon in regard to being "stout"? Looks like Jim's biggest requirement is "stout", and probably not like Guinness smile .

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonG10/page2.asp

The G10 is an evolution of the G9 Design, maintaining the metal construction and essentially the same body shape. The exposed body is nearly completely metal (only the battery door and the ports cover are plastic), and the matt-black finish gives it a stealthy, classic look. The new model has been pumping iron (or aluminum) beefing up by 40g (402g up from 362g), retaining the solid 'dense' feel.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3775&review=canon+powershot+g10

The major manufacturers building cameras for this premium compact space have come around to the idea that build quality is crucial when you're trying to sell a compact camera that costs nearly as much as a DSLR, and the Canon G10 is no exception here either. Even in a field of well-made devices, the G10 is quite possibly the best of the lot, with a level of precision in fit and finish and materials choices usually reserved for advanced DSLRs. If it costs almost as much as a Rebel XS, the G10 also feels significantly more carefully crafted than Canon's baseline interchangeable-lens cameras.

While the G9 and G10 haven't been specifically "hardened" like the camera Joel recommends they are solid well built units, other commentaries mentioned "tank-like" construction.
Joel of course has more experience than I do with different models but I do like my G9 (which I bought from Joel). You don't get the quality you can with a DLSR with $1k+ lenses but the picture quality is excellent and they are solid well made camera's. If at all possible go to a store and handle both and see which you like - then call Joel and you'll see how much they save you :-)..............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That Canon looks like a great camera. It's too big for me, and doesn't have the temperature rating I need, but if I didn't need a ruggedized camera I'd definitely check it out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (16penny, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,489
Posts18,490,354
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.