Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I do a little reloading and I had a guy ask me about his 270. He said he is using a 130 grain bullet but in his thought process, the bullet is going too fast to have any expansion on the deer. So he was wondering if switching to 165 grain boat tail mould be a better bullet to use. I realize this is a fairly vague question and there are some missing variables, but any oppinions are welcome.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my dad shot the 130 and had the opposite thing happen no exit holes on deer so started loading 140gr ballistic tip he shot a 110 pound doe this year a high shoulder shot throwed away a hand fool of meat and worked really well hope this helps

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Your friend is absolutely right. That's why bullets from magnums "zip right through doing hardly any damage." It's just like the party trick where you pull a tablecloth out from under dishes, plates, glasses, etc. If you do it fast enough, every thing stays in its place.

The reason is that if a bullet is going fast enough, it doesn't have any time to do any damage or expand. As a bullet approaches the speed of light, it probably won't do any damage at all.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
hopefully you are not serious.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My guess is that your friend has never taken a deer with a 130 gr bullet from his 270. Just a guess.
I don't believe a heavier bullet will solve his problem(s).
Stick with the 130 grain for deer.... and I am sincere in my feelings (and experience) about this.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
in his thought process, the bullet is going too fast to have any expansion on the deer

He is wrong in his thought process.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
in his thought process, the bullet is going too fast to have any expansion on the deer

The 130 grain bullet is deadly on deer or elk or any other animal you care to shoot with a 270.

Last edited by Prwlr; 12/15/09.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your friend's "thought process" does not exist.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 12/15/09.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
With most big game bullets more velocity = more expansion.

Last edited by Tennessee; 12/15/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where does this "going too fast to expand" train of so-called thought come from? I would say it's among the dumbest things you can say when talking about guns, but I hear it all the time here.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Doughboy
I do a little reloading and I had a guy ask me about his 270. He said he is using a 130 grain bullet but in his thought process, the bullet is going too fast to have any expansion on the deer. So he was wondering if switching to 165 grain boat tail mould be a better bullet to use. I realize this is a fairly vague question and there are some missing variables, but any oppinions are welcome.

Do they make a 165 grainer in .277?--maybe in some of the boutique bullets there are 170 grainer available. I think Winchester made a 170 grain in factory ammo, but if I remember right the price was kinda' breathtaking......The heaviest of the readily available bullets I'm aware of is the 160gr.

And no, no bullet goes too fast to evade expansion--most bullets start expanding as soon as they hit hair--or shortly thereafter.......

Indeed, it can be quite the opposite, lighter bullets can open up too much to acheive sufficient expansion. Just because a bullet goes in one side and out the other doesn't necessarily suggest lack of expansion, but rather good penetration.

If you buddy wants good expansion with very good penetration at hair burning range to waaay out there, try a Nosler Partition in 150gr, or 140gr, or 130gr.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
Your friend is absolutely right. That's why bullets from magnums "zip right through doing hardly any damage." It's just like the party trick where you pull a tablecloth out from under dishes, plates, glasses, etc. If you do it fast enough, every thing stays in its place.

The reason is that if a bullet is going fast enough, it doesn't have any time to do any damage or expand. As a bullet approaches the speed of light, it probably won't do any damage at all.

Kiddin'....right? crazy

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Doughboy

Doughboy: His thought process is not only all wet;it's saturated......seriously skewed.

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/15/09.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Kiddin'....right? crazy

Was my sarcasm too subtle?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was little too subtle for me, but I like your explanation. Good one!

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The myth of bullets "going too fast to expand" has been around a long time, as much as we like to think the Campfire is the origin of all thought on guns and hunting, both true and false.

One of my elk-hunting mentors told me over 30 years ago that the reason the .270 was such a bad elk cartridge was because the bullets went through an elk too fast to expand. Which is why he used the .30-06....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
270 and a 130 grain bullet go together like peaches and cream smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm thinking your friend is about two bricks shy of a load..I don't believe he has ever shot a deer, at least not with a .270.

I can't think of a better deer cartridge than the .270 or a better bullet for deer than the 130 gr...I have never seen a 130 gr. bullet fail to expand from a .270, I have seen some, or rare ocasions years ago, blow up because they were going too fast for a particular bullet.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm thinking your friend is about two bricks shy of a load..I don't believe he has ever shot a deer, at least not with a .270. I am always a bit suspecious when someone says my friend says! smile smile

I can't think of a better deer cartridge than the .270 or a better bullet for deer than the 130 gr...I have never seen a 130 gr. bullet fail to expand from a .270, I have seen some, or rare ocasions years ago, blow up because they were going too fast for a particular bullet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Was my sarcasm too subtle?

Yeah...you were cleverly disguised.. grin....surprised to hear it come from you cause I know you know better..caught me off guard.. laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 163bc, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,647
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.