-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm betting there is more to this story than was published.
No fan of the school's, but it just don't make any sense any other way.
You could say my B.S. sensor is blinking.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I bet the kid would have gotten a presidential award if he had drawn a picture of allah (capitalization intentionally omitted on both words presidential and allah).

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Teacher over-reaction!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bet the kid would have gotten a presidential award if he had drawn a picture of allah (capitalization intentionally omitted on both words presidential and allah).

I don't know, but maybe he should have drawn something more politically correct. Something depicting muhammad cutting the throats of Jews in Mecca. Or having his enemies hands and feet cut off so he could watch them bleed out. Maybe he should have drawn a picture of muhammad hacking up Mary and Josef and the wise men. I bet that would be ok. He, after all, would just be expressing himself.

Last edited by crosshair; 12/15/09.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I taught 6th grade, I reported a kid for drawing people with planes dropping bombs on them. Every page of his notebook had a severed head, guns, guts or something on it. I put up pictures from a field trip and a girl got a tack and punched the eyes out of all the girls pictures. I even had a kid who would come into my room and hide because he thought the other kids were out to kill him. I reported them all to guidance. None of them ever got a psych evaluation. I think one of the V.P.'s wanted to send me for one but none of my kids. I thought you needed a doctor, parent, and school official to order a psych eval. Incidentally, Taunton, MA is 20 minutes from here. It's nothing special, pretty normal town.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I was in a college writing class we were instructed to write about a book which change our lives. The teacher indicated something like Huckleberry Finn and the like. I wrote about the Bible. The essay was rejected because of seperation of church and state.

I doubt if there is more to the origianl posted story than what we read.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
UPDATE

WPRI: The Taunton School District on Tuesday night denied a father's claims that his son was suspended for drawing a stick figure of Jesus on a cross . School superintendent Julie Hackett said in a written statement that the second-grade student was never suspended over the sketch and that a drawing circulated to reporters by the boy's father, Chester Johnson, is not the same one that was discovered by the teacher.

http://www.breitbart.tv/update-school-denies-suspending-boy-over-jesus-drawing/

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You should have said the Manifesto of the Communist Party by Karl Marx. Then you could have gone on listing the charictaristics of communists. Then ended the piece with saying that it helps you identify who the enemy is........so you can one day kill them.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hmmm nuther pic that got him suspended????

sources report it was a pic of Sarah Palin (jk boyz)

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

If your living like there is no Hell...

You better be right...

Oh I wonder if those who dont believe in GOD, will feed my horse when the Rapture comes...!!!!

Javalina

NRA Member

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The real motivation?

Taunton schools rebut report on child's Jesus drawing

TAUNTON -- The story smacked of religious bias during the Christmas season: An elementary school allegedly suspended a second-grader, it went, and required the boy to undergo a psychological evaluation after he drew a picture of Jesus Christ on the cross.

But today, Taunton school officials challenged the account, first reported in the Taunton Daily Gazette and later repeated by the boy's father. The reports have created a media frenzy in this city south of Boston.

Julie Hackett, superintendent of Taunton Public Schools, said the student was never suspended and that neither he nor other students at the Maxham Elementary School were asked by their teacher to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas or any religious holiday, as the newspaper reported and the father suggested.

She said it was unclear whether the boy -- who put his name above his stick-figure portrait of Christ on the cross -- even drew it in school.

"The inaccuracies in the original media story have resulted in a great deal of criticism and scrutiny of the system that is unwarranted," she said.

She said the boy's drawing was seen as a potential cry for help when the student identified himself, rather than Jesus, as the figure on the cross, which sparked the teacher to alert the school's principal and staff psychologist.

She declined to comment on whether the teacher had reason to believe that the student might be crying out for help.

She added: "Religion had nothing to do with this at all.''

Hackett pointed out that Taunton is known as "The Christmas City." Visitors come from across the region to see the annual lighting on the Taunton green, according to the city's website.

Amid the flurry of media attention, the boy's father held court today at his girlfriend's apartment here, demanding the school district compensate him for his family's pain and suffering.

"It hurts me that they did this to my kid," Chester Johnson, the boy's father, told the Globe. "They can't mess with our religion; they owe us a small lump sum for this.''

Source: http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/12/by_david_abel_g_6.html

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Amid the flurry of media attention, the boy's father held court today at his girlfriend's apartment here, demanding the school district compensate him for his family's pain and suffering.

"It hurts me that they did this to my kid," Chester Johnson, the boy's father, told the Globe. "They can't mess with our religion; they owe us a small lump sum for this.''

"nuff said, Scum Bag

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, its starting to sound like some kind of clumsy shakedown attempt.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
...they owe us a small lump sum for this.

One lump of coal + one lump of coal = two lumps of coal.

Bruce

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The plot thickens.

The boy wasn't suspended, though a teacher did order a psychological evaluation of the boy: "She said the drawing was seen as a potential cry for help when the student identified himself, rather than Jesus, on the cross, which prompted the teacher to alert the school�s principal and staff psychologist. As a result, the boy underwent a psychological evaluation."

Taunton officials dispute reports on Jesus sketch
Say boy not suspended, no evaluation ordered

By David Abel, Globe Staff | December 16, 2009

TAUNTON - City officials sharply disputed yesterday widely distributed reports that a local elementary school suspended a second-grader and required the boy to undergo a psychological evaluation for drawing a picture of Jesus on the cross.

The story, initially reported by the local newspaper, raised questions of religious bias days before Christmas and was broadcast by local television stations and other news media. Making the story more compelling, the boy�s father held court for much of the day at his girlfriend�s apartment, granting interviews to reporters from Providence to Boston, demanding that the school district compensate him for his family�s pain and suffering.

�It hurts me that they did this to my kid,�� Chester Johnson, the boy�s father, said in an interview with the Globe. �They can�t mess with our religion. They owe us a small lump sum for this.��

But school officials say that the account in yesterday�s Taunton Daily Gazette was rife with errors and that the father�s description of what happened is untrue.

�The report is totally inaccurate,�� Julie Hackett, superintendent of the Taunton public schools, said in an interview in her office yesterday. �The inaccuracies in the original media story have resulted in a great deal of criticism and scrutiny of the system that is unwarranted.��

Dino F. Ciliberti, editor of the Gazette, did not return calls yesterday.

Hackett said the student, age 9, was never suspended and that neither he nor other students at the Maxham Elementary School were asked by the teacher to sketch something that reminded them of Christmas or any religious holiday, as the Gazette and other media reported and the father suggested, although his story changed as he explained it.

She said it was unclear whether the boy, who put his name above a stick figure portrait of Christ on the cross, had drawn the picture in school, which his teacher discovered Dec. 2.

�Religion had nothing to do with this at all, 100 percent nothing to do with it,�� Hackett said, adding that Taunton is known as �The Christmas City.��

She said the drawing was seen as a potential cry for help when the student identified himself, rather than Jesus, on the cross, which prompted the teacher to alert the school�s principal and staff psychologist. As a result, the boy underwent a psychological evaluation.

She declined to comment on the results of the evaluation or whether the teacher had reason to believe that the student was crying out for help. The boy�s father showed reporters a report indicating his son was not a threat to himself or others and could return to school.

�In this case, as in any other case involving the well-being of a student, the administration acted in accordance with the School Department�s well-established protocol,�� she said in a statement. �This protocol is centered upon the student�s care, well-being, and educational success. The protocol includes a review of the student�s records.��

After reading the account in the local paper, Mayor Charles Crowley of Taunton asked Hackett to apologize to the boy�s parents. But in a telephone interview late yesterday, he said he stands by the superintendent.

�Dr. Hackett has far more of the facts than I do, and now I understand that the report was not accurate,�� he said. �Based on her account, I stand behind my superintendent. She is in possession of the facts.��

Officials from the state Department of Children and Families declined to comment on the case because there was no allegation of abuse.

Johnson said his son was suffering as a result of the commotion. He said his grades have declined in recent days and that he wanted him to be transferred to the Elizabeth Pole School, the most recently built in Taunton.

�He said he was uncomfortable,�� he said. �I also think they should give him a fully paid scholarship to the school of his choice. We should be compensated for our pain and suffering.��

Johnson acknowledged that his son identified himself on the cross, but he said it was only after he told school officials that his picture represented Jesus.

�He was scared, so he changed his story,�� Johnson said.

School officials said the newspaper had an ax to grind, citing an opinion piece Ciliberti posted yesterday on the Gazette�s website, in which he called the school�s actions �a shame�� and argued that the district �turned this into a major story.��

Hackett said the Gazette published its story without giving the district time to investigate the allegations.

�The approach that is often taken is that an editorial or article in the local newspaper is completely inaccurate, but it gets published before anyone checks the facts,�� she said.

Link to Boston Globe News story.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (222Sako, 06hunter59, 163bc, 204guy, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 68 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,889
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.