Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
turtle Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
in 2010 I plan on taking the wife & little kids to San Antonio,(sea world,etc..) and had contemplated going across the border for a 1 day trip and I needed some help

is it safe?
do we need passports?
do we need to drive/walk over?
what to do when we get there?

thanks for all the help,I am absolutely an idiot on the subject.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The answer to the first question is NO, making the others mute.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
turtle Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
thank you,thank you,thank you

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
blackeyedueler,

I'd stop at question #1 ... it is not safe there, and that's especially true of the border towns. Ciudad Juarez is the worst right now (across from El Paso) the body count is staggering. Nuevo Laredo (your most likely crossing) is the #1 port for U.S./Mexico/Canada commerce. The drug business has found its way there, too. I wouldn't risk my family's safety for an opportunity for cheap crap. Take 'em down to Corpus Cristi instead and enjoy the beach.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I think ya mean Moot, ya blasted redneck! wink

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
I think ya mean Moot, ya blasted redneck! wink

Ain't that what the cows did yesterday? smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you look hard, you might see some Mexicans in San Antonio! grin When are you going?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, I don't remember seeing may Messycans in San Antonio, maybe they are thinning the herd. wink

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why on Earth would you want to go there anyway?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mexico can be a great adventure, but it is just not safe. It may be getting hotter still...

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/12/17/general-lt-drug-war-mexico_7221193.html

Mexican navy kills top cartel kingpin in shootout
By OSWALD ALONSO and ALEXANDRA OLSON , 12.17.09, 11:16 AM EST

CUERNAVACA, Mexico -- Two hundred Mexican Navy marines stormed an upscale apartment complex and killed a reputed drug cartel chief in a two-hour gunbattle, one of the biggest victories yet in President Felipe Calderon's drug war.

Arturo Beltran Leyva, the "boss of bosses," and six members of his cartel died in the shootout Wednesday in Cuernavaca, just south of Mexico City, according to a navy statement Thursday.

The body of one cartel member was found on the ground outside the third-floor apartment, after he apparently committed suicide during the shootout.

Cartel gunmen hurled grenades that killed one marine and wounded two others, one of whom is in serious condition, the navy said. Two women and one man were detained during the raid, and five assault weapons were seized.

An Associated Press reporter at the scene heard at least 10 explosions during the firefight, which residents said lasted at least 90 minutes. Witnesses said the raid began when marines rappelled down ropes onto the roofs of some of the apartment buildings at dusk.

Reporters were briefly allowed inside the apartment where Beltran Leyva's body still lay early Thursday; his skull and one arm were mangled by bullet wounds, and in one hand he clutched a large gold-colored medallion.

"First they were asked to surrender, but they didn't yield and they opened fire," said one of the ski-masked marines who participated in the raid, and who was not authorized to give his name.

President Felipe Calderon, speaking from the Copenhagen climate summit, said "this action represents an important achievement for the government and people of Mexico, and a resounding blow against one of the most dangerous criminal organizations in Mexico, and on the continent."

Calderon described Beltran Leyva as "one of the three most-wanted" drug suspects in Mexico. By most estimates, the other two - both still at large - are Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman and Ismael "El Mayo" Zambada.

Residents of the apartment complex said the raid appeared carefully planned. Sailors went door-to-door before the gun battle to quietly evacuate residents to the gym.

Beltran Leyva is the highest-ranking figure taken down under Calderon, who has deployed more than 45,000 troops across Mexico to crush the cartels since taking office in December 2006. Mexico's navy often has been used in the battle as well. The offensive has earned Calderon praise from Washington even as 14,000 people have been killed in a wave of drug-related violence.

Beltran Leyva had narrowly escaped attempts to arrest him in recent months, including a Friday raid on an alleged drug cartel holiday party at mansion in the town of Tepotzlan, near Cuernavaca, where they killed three alleged Beltran Leyva cartel members and detained 11.

They also detained Ramon Ayala, a Texas-based norteno singer whose band was playing at the party, on suspicion of ties to organized crime. His lawyer, Adolfo Vega, denied Ayala had ties to the Beltran Leyva gang, saying the singer didn't know his clients were drug traffickers.

The last time Mexican authorities killed a major drug lord was in 2002, when Ramon Arellano Felix of the Tijuana Cartel was shot by a police officer in the Sinaloa resort of Mazatlan.

Beltran Leyva was one of five brothers from the Pacific coast state of Sinaloa who once worked side by side with Guzman, the leader of the Sinaloa Cartel. The brothers split with Guzman several years ago and aligned themselves with Los Zetas, a group of former soldiers hired by the rival Gulf Cartel as hit men. The split is believed to have fueled much of Mexico's bloodshed of recent years.

One of the brothers, Alfredo Beltran Leyva, was arrested in January 2008.

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration says the Beltran Leyva cartel has smuggled tons of cocaine into the United States, as well as large quantities of heroin.

The Mexican government had offered a $2.1 million reward for Beltran Leyva's capture.

U.S. officials say the Beltran Leyva Cartel has carried out heinous killings, including numerous beheadings of rival traffickers or kidnappers invading what the gang considered its turf.

The gang also has had great success in buying off public officials, including employees of the federal police and prosecutors, to protect their business and get tips on planned military raids.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Border Mexico is much worse than interior Mexico. Unless you want to expose your kids to the really seedy part of life I'd skip it.

I'd stick to SA and do Sea World which I really enjoyed even tho it wasn't my typical thing and the river walk, eating, shopping, make a drive out to the hill country for a day and look, stop in some of the microbreweries and grab a beer/food, sightsee on the wildlife etc....Or drive south down toward Uvalde for the day and see the South Texas brush and Uvalde and the sights.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i love Mexico, and really like just average Mexican folks in general

it's a shame the country is being run by thugs, and then there's the bad actors that ain't politicians too!

for my money gov't is a waste in Mexico or here, they do very little that actually needs doing, their main function seeming to be to terroize the law abiding and suck the juice outa the fruits of their labor.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, Enjoy SA and take a ride out around Hunt/Ingram/Junction then south around Leakey/Concan/Uvalde then back up to Bandera.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mexico is FUN, but I skied on a pizza box down I-10 one time too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
our generation's contribution to society has been greatly diminished that we had no cell phone video capability to document our attempts to go where no man has gone before!

Pity, that.

I'm sure the pig hunt brethern would surely have enjoyed observing your feat of skill and balance Pat.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
...more like beer, balls and brainlessness!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Cartel gunmen hurled grenades that killed one marine and wounded two others, one of whom is in serious condition, the navy said. Two women and one man were detained during the raid, and five assault weapons were seized.

I suppose now we will have calls for investigations on how they are buying grenades at gun shows in the US.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
...more like beer, balls and brainlessness!

==============

Greatly diminished??

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'Fraid so.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
More on the Mexico deal... 16,000 dead in three years.

Mexican drug lord shot dead

Beltran Leyva's death will likely prompt a spree of violence by gangs seeking to reclaim territory [AFP]

One of Mexico's most wanted drug lords has been killed in a shootout with government forces in the country's navy south of Mexico City.

Arturo Beltran Leyva, dubbed "The Boss of Bosses," was killed on Wednesday during the fight with about 200 naval sailors in a luxury residential complex in the southern city of Cuernavaca.

"We confirm the death of Arturo Beltran Leyva. He was killed in a navy operation in Cuernavaca," said a Mexican navy captain.

Six of Beltran Leyva's bodyguards died in the fighting.

Drug violence

The death of Beltran Leyva is a boost for Felipe Calderon, the Mexican president, who launched a war against drug cartels after coming into office in 2006.

"This is a victory for Calderon in the short term, but his [Beltran Leyva's] position will be filled very quickly," said Alberto Islas, a security analyst.

The shootout came after suspected drug gangs dumped the severed heads of five police officers and a prosecutor outside a church in the northern state of Durango on Wednesday.

The heads were left in plastic bags discovered by rubbish collectors as blood ran out of the bags onto the street.

Islas said more violence was likely in the wake of Beltran Leyva's death, as rival drug gangs attempt to take back territory lost to the drug lord in recent years in southern Mexico and Mexico City.

Territorial war

The Beltran Leyva brothers, who were considered responsible for the importation and distribution of tonnes of cocaine into the US, had been involved in a bloody fight over smuggling routes into the US with former ally Joaquin "Shorty" Guzman.

A $2.4 million bounty had been placed on Beltran Leyva's head by Mexican authorities seeking his arrest for organised crime activities and kidnapping.

In August, Eric Holder, the US Attorney General, announced an indictment against the drug lord and other Mexican smugglers for moving billions of dollars of cocaine across the US border.

Navy forces have increasingly joined army troops and federal police in the fight against drug barons

The US Treasury Department said last week the US had frozen the US assets of 22 individuals and 10 companies linked to the Beltran Leyva.

More than 16,000 people have been killed in drug-related violence between rival gangs and security forces in the last three years.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (260Remguy, 358wsm, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 17 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,679
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.