Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello,

I recently purchased a Savage Mk II BTVS. Along with this, I bought my first bipod ever. It's a Harris 6" to 9".

Problem is that it's too high. I thought it might be. My previous 'scoped .22 was shot off bags or a rucksack, very close to the ground.

My rear hand would be in a fist, and I would adjust height by tightening or loosening my fist.

The biggest problem with the bipod is not long range, but rather shorter range, shooting downslope. I just can't adjust my body high enough to get a stable hold to shoot well below horizontal to the ground (I usually shoot from a vantage point on my range about 5' up in the air).

I'm sure I'm missing some tricks here. The US Army Sniper's Manual does not cover much in the way of bipods - at least not the version I have (early 1990s). It's mostly shooting off the pack, and off field expedient supports.

A 3" to 6" bipod would seem to be much better for my needs, but I've yet to find such a critter.

Can someone help educate me please?

Thanks,

Josh <><

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Since no-one has responded yet ...

I have had both a monopod and a bipod "shooting stick" - both of which were abandoned before I actually fired a shot. I guess I just never "practiced" enough with them.

I once sat in my blind on a cheap round back composite chair, and saw a nice Buck at 270 yards. I tried to rest my rifle on the shooting stick and sight in the Buck.

I ended up in such a contorted position , that I cast aside my chair ... and upon my knees, I rested my rifle upon the stick and configured my body to draw my crosshairs upon the Buck.

That was NOT comfortable either, so I dropped the darned shooting stick, grabbed the plastic 4-legged round back chair ... and positioned it in front of me and rested my rifle against the curved back of the chair at a "height" that felt right to me.

By then I had lost the "shakes", and sighted the Buck through my scope, and didn't even think to look to "hit the boiler room" as my friends had previously advised me to.

I was kinda "new" to Deer Hunting then, and was invited to join this hunting party by a close friend, and "41 Keith" who posted a lot here before he died ... both acompanied me to retrieve my Buck, and when we stood atop the fallen creature who had "dropped in his tracks", my skeptical "buddy" asked me, "Is that where you aimed your shot?"

I was taken somewhat aback ... and wasn't able to answer fast enough ... my friend continued, "If you did, that was a perfect shot."

I later felt that when the Deer came into view in my scope, I just followed the neck line to the base of the skull ... and pulled the trigger. (unconsious)

I'll leave it at that, and only offer this comment:

I always like to "rest" my rifles on "something" ... and sometimes I even throw myself upon the ground - behind a rock or whatever, to do so ... but I sure don't like them "Shooting Sticks".

Last edited by P_Weed; 11/15/09.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Harris makes a wide variety of bipods in various lengths. You might check out their offerings.

μολὼν λαβέ
I found the exact same issue with the 6" bipods being to tall. I looked at all the other options I could, then just started using a rolled up parka as a rest. It's waterproof, can easily be shaped into any form I need, and serves more than one purpose, so it's more efficent to carry.

Only the dead know the end of war.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have a couple rifles with the Harris Bipod 6-9" on them, but I only have used them off the bench and haven't found a need to extend them at all off the 6" height.

For prone shooting I don't use the Bipod. Truth be known, for me it was just a waste of money as I can use sand bags or a back pack to get the same results. I'm not even using the Bipod off the bench these days either. The parka is a good idea.

I'm sure different shooting techniques will find a useful application for them however.

Last edited by JoeM57; 12/19/09.

Joe
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me the bipods are usually too short!!!!

Harris makes a shorter one, I believe.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (22kHornet, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 46 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,262
Posts18,504,843
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.