Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#3592304 12/20/09
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have the itch for something with more umph than my .340 Wby. Has anyone tried the .416 Ruger yet?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fine cartridge but if you want a 416 there is only one...the headstamp says "Rigby".

It will be around long after the Ruger has joined the 5mm Remington, 222 RemMag, 7x61 S&H, 8mm RemMag and all those other good but don't do anything better cartridges.

Besides "Rigby" is just so cool (and you can buy ammo in nowhere Africa).

It's also a lot nicer to shoot that the godalmighty kicking 340 WM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty tough to put the Rigby through a standard-length action... laugh.

If you want an ornate old rifle and cartridge, that's a good one, though I personally prefer my .404 Jeffery.

If you want a practical, functional, easy to use rifle and cartridge, a new Ruger and .375 or .416 is a lot easier to use, reload for, and generally have around.

Though I still wish Ruger would come out with an official version of the .404 Ruger... grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's also a lot nicer to shoot that the godalmighty kicking 340 WM.

Maybe its just me but I don't think the .340 kicks all that bad. Its not nearly as viciously snappy as a .300 RUM.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So who cares about a "standard length action"...please don't quote me the "short stroking" myth! BTW the last time I was in H&H in NYC they had a very nice 1930s 416 Rigby (Rigby built) built on an opened up 98 Mauser action. I think that's "standard length". When you're not trying to run at 50K PSI with special powders, you can do a lot more than some modern "experts" believe.

Agree the RUMs are all nasty kickers and since the WB stock is so much better designed for recoil than the 700, I'd agree BUT it still kicks and maybe 2% of hunters have any "need" for it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My .340 is on a 700 action all I did was add an SVT recoil pad to get the length about right ( I have long ape arms).

I wonder how much work and cost it would take to open a Mauser action up to .416 length?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldman1942
So who cares about a "standard length action"...please don't quote me the "short stroking" myth! BTW the last time I was in H&H in NYC they had a very nice 1930s 416 Rigby (Rigby built) built on an opened up 98 Mauser action. I think that's "standard length". When you're not trying to run at 50K PSI with special powders, you can do a lot more than some modern "experts" believe.

I prefer standard length actions to pieces like my .404 Jeffery -- I put up with it because it's a .404 Jeffery, not because it's a better way to build an action. And if you "want" a .416 Rigby, by all means you should have one, just because you can, and you want to. That's certainly all the reason anyone needs. The fact that the .375 Ruger and .416 Ruger function better is really fairly irrelevant, if it's not what you want. I've seen people short-stroke short actions, so I'm not too wound up about that.

There is still a big difference between desire and function, and generally in our world desire wins out... grin. That's a good thing, generally...

Dennis

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's a nice description. I desire a .416. It sounds so much better than want grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the 416 Ruger was on a 2.850" case with a 3.60" OAL, then they would have something. Why design a 416 with less case capacity than the 416 Rem which already has a reputation for high pressure? A 3.6" 416 would have fit in their 77RSM and factory ammo could surpass the Rigby (and Rem) ballistics as it would not have to be loaded below modern pressure due to older rifles.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
But - have you YEARNED for one?

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
That's a nice description. I desire a .416. It sounds so much better than want grin

How about you NEED a 416?
Or even, I MUST HAVE a 416??

grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm fairly sure the .416 Ruger will produce all the velocity it needs, with no excessive pressures or other issues. I can't imagine a reason for going past 2400 fps, given what rounds like the .416's are built for.

Having such rounds as the Ruger .375 and .416 built specifically to favor standard-length actions is a very good move, in my opinion. I guess over the years we'll find out if enough others agree to make them financially worthwhile. But there is no question they will work very very well physically.

Dennis

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
HB Bear!...........As far as any 416 goes, find the rifle first that looks the best to you and that feels and handles the best for you and then whichever 416 follows, so be it!

Anytime a new cartridge enters the scene, there are always predictions of failure from the skeptics and nay-sayers. As to whether it will fail and fall by the way side, or whether it will gain more in popularity and last a long period of time, only time will tell.

These same predictions of failure were made about the 375 Ruger too. Well! Regardless of those earlier predictions of doom and gloom by the 375 Ruger nay-sayers and skeptics, I`d say those predictions have all been completely blown out of the water! They have greatly under-estimated the Hornady and Ruger co-op machine and their various marketing programs going on behind the scenes, which in most cases is overlooked by the knee-jerkers!!!

However, I don`t think the 416 Ruger will take to the 416 market by storm as did the 375 Ruger to the 375 market. But eventually imo, the 416 Ruger will be here to stay and gain more popularity in the 416 arena.

The primary reason is that the 416 Ruger rifles are moderately priced compared to other 416s, which will have a very good market appeal for those wanting a 416.

Contrary to Oldman1942`s knee jerk (without doing some research) predictions of doom and gloom for the 416 Ruger, I believe that with time, the exact opposite will come to pass. In fact, it is possible that Oldman1942 may have to change is user name to Oldman2042 before we see the failure of the 416 Ruger....LOL!

FWIW! You can call Hornady directly and ask them about their on-going marketing programs for worldwide ammo availability. I will tell you that Hornady has acquired some African distribution permits for the 375 Ruger factory ammo with more to come, and they are currently working on doing the same thing for the 416 Ruger factory ammo as well.

And per my dealer who attends every gun and SHOT show, a few African PHs that he`s talked with personally have ordered the Hawkeye rifles.

Also, a good barometer in determining a cartridge`s growing popularity is to watch the availability of reloading components from distributors..

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Plus, hard to beat a stainless crf .416 for under $800 new. Actually, this makes me wonder why I don't have one. confusedgrin

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I did some checking and Midway has .416 Ruger brass in stock and there were two or three rifles on gunsamerica.

I am really liking the idea of a short barreled quick handling rifle in a big bore cartridge. Getting one for a reasonable price is even better.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 340boy

How about you NEED a 416?
Or even, I MUST HAVE a 416??

grin

You are a BAD influence grin

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Get it!...........GET IT!!!!!!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Plus, hard to beat a stainless crf .416 for under $800 new. Actually, this makes me wonder why I don't have one. confusedgrin

The only real issue is that it has a complete POS stock, which no one who I've ever taalked to in Alaska has kept, on the short-barrelled version. It's a target-model Hogue, and Ruger has never put anything on any of their rifles that was worse-designed and implemented than that one. There is one guy in North America who propelles it constantly, so I guess he's having a major influence on Ruger... whistle.

Putting a good stock on a Ruger isn't that hard nor is it that expensive, so it's not that big a deal. Just a thing to know.

Dennis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Who makes a good stock for the Ruger besides McMillan?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Ruger. The replacement stock they sell for the standard Hawkeye's will work and is quite inexpensive; I'd want to glass bed it for extra strength however.

Phil Shoemaker reported on dropping one of the first Ruger 375's into a standard Hawkeye synthetic stock and he said it worked fine.

Even better, if you can find one, is one of the older Ruger boat paddle stocks.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The boat paddle stock would sure let you get the full benefit of the recoil.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by muledeer
Though I still wish Ruger would come out with an official version of the .404 Ruger... grin.

Dennis

Now that would be perfection. If you need more than a .423" bullet at 2300-2400 fps, then dinosaurs must be on the trophy list or marksmanship classes might be in order.

A .416" bullet is second best, and those of us who've actually used a Hawkeye in the 400-class calibers in the field find advantages in the standard length action configuration. But we can't all like the same things, which is what makes this Forum interesting. smile

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a certain difference between people who actually do something with it, versus those who talk about it.

Thanks...

Dennis

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The only thing keeping me from the 416 Ruger is the inability of Winchester to make them. I think this will cut 416RM sales dramatically, when more makes build rifles.

As to the standard action business, I've been using magnum actions for a couple of years now and haven't noticed a problem. I can see the advantages wrt production but in the field I've not found a difference.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Yearning for a .416 Ruger"...has a nice ring to it. What I'm hoping to see in 2010 is the .416 Ruger but in the Hawkeye 23 inch barrel "African" version. This rifle would continue to build on the prior success of the .375 Ruger and is a very classy looking piece as well. I believe we are entering an era of appreciation for the old classics i.e. .416 Rigby & .404 Jeffrey. Nostalgia perhaps? May yet see a .404 Ruger coming. To the camp fire - HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm debating also on a .375 or .416 for just playing around with feral hogs. I just can't get myself to buy a rifle with those hogue stocks on them, then have to find a stock right away!! I think one would make a good thumper. A good stocked .416 or .375 with a low magnification scope will fit my bill nicely.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well let me think..who has more DECADES/Centuries of experience building rifles for big, bad things that eat/stomp and gore you?
Rigby is #1 by over a century. Holland and Holland is a "newcomer" but compared to Ruger, ancient.

That's why I had my 400 Holland built because they know what they are doing. (What ever happened to that wonderful Ruger SXS and how many Red Labels have fallen apart on the sporting clays circuit?)

Perhaps a subscription to African Hunter would prove enlightening so you can read about all the bound up 700s in 416 rem due to excessive pressures. Now we have a smaller cartridge with powders we can't buy, operating a who knows what pressure with ONE ammo maker whose solids were taken off the market because they failed. Sounds great to me.

Give me my trusty 700 in 400 H&H or a CZ in 416 Rigby. No investment castings and the floorplates stay closed too.

I am old enough to remember when the 458 Winchester was going to rule the world for dangerous game....didn't work out too well.
Fact is the Brits still know more about building dangerous game rifles and cartridges than some boys in CT.

My 700 and the real H&Hs (400 on the right)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then a .375 Ruger African is the right answer. I almost took mine to Texas this year for hogs, but decided to take my .338 RCM instead. Which was great fun, but the .375 Ruger African is so nice...some day I'll have to do it just for fun.

Dennis

Nice to hear your bias again, oldman1942. Seem to recall that the older accounts sort of indicate lots of problems with those models too. The really funny part is the way the actual African PH's laugh at all of these kind of debates. Shoot...some of them even carry PUSH FEED dangerous game rifles. They've only killed tens of thousands of animals over there, so those guys probably really don't understand rifles and hunting... whistle.

Last edited by muledeer; 12/22/09. Reason: Respond to oldman1942's comment too...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Homesteader
"Yearning for a .416 Ruger"...has a nice ring to it. What I'm hoping to see in 2010 is the .416 Ruger but in the Hawkeye 23 inch barrel "African" version. This rifle would continue to build on the prior success of the .375 Ruger and is a very classy looking piece as well. I believe we are entering an era of appreciation for the old classics i.e. .416 Rigby & .404 Jeffrey. Nostalgia perhaps? May yet see a .404 Ruger coming. To the camp fire - HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
....................Your yearning for one, just may come to pass!.......Rumor has it, that has soon as Ruger solves all potential African stock splitting issues, we`ll see a 416 Ruger African!..........Patience!........Patience!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well let me think..who has more DECADES/Centuries of experience building rifles for big, bad things that eat/stomp and gore you?
Rigby is #1 by over a century. Holland and Holland is a "newcomer" but compared to Ruger, ancient.

That's why I had my 400 Holland built because they know what they are doing. (What ever happened to that wonderful Ruger SXS and how many Red Labels have fallen apart on the sporting clays circuit?)

Perhaps a subscription to African Hunter would prove enlightening so you can read about all the bound up 700s in 416 rem due to excessive pressures. Now we have a smaller cartridge with powders we can't buy, operating a who knows what pressure with ONE ammo maker whose solids were taken off the market because they failed. Sounds great to me.

Give me my trusty 700 in 400 H&H or a CZ in 416 Rigby. No investment castings and the floorplates stay closed too.

I am old enough to remember when the 458 Winchester was going to rule the world for dangerous game....didn't work out too well.
Fact is the Brits still know more about building dangerous game rifles and cartridges than some boys in CT.

My 700 and the real H&Hs (400 on the right)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
.....................Mr Oldman has struck again with his biased,,,NESS!

Killing success or possible failure, has absolutely nothing to do with how old, or how ancient, or how much SENIORITY any particular rifle/cartridge combo has OR who builds the rifles!!! If you think that ANY British built rifle chambered in any H&H cartridge, will somehow kill better, be more effective, or is more accurate than either the 375 Ruger or the 416 Ruger chambered in the Ruger rifles, then you have a pile of rocks between yer ears!

Decades or centuries of experience, AS you put it, has absolutely nothing to do with anything pertaining to success, failure, accuracy, or anything else for that matter. You`re in a dreamworld of fantasy to think so!

This argument of more decades, being more ancient, and/or more experience in building rifles won`t hold any water with me, as it shouldn`t for most "logical" and "un-biased" thinking individuals.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sorry but I have to call BS on this post. First, the 416 Rem Mag pressures happened early on and since then the cartridge has prove itself without any problems. I've owned and hunted with a Ruger 416 Rigby and I've NEVER had the floorplate open inadvertently. The 400 H&H? Anybody know where we can buy brass let alone ammo? Good luck with that one. The 459 WM didn't work out too well? There are prpbably more 458 WMs in Africa in the hands of PHs than all other combined. with today's powders 2150 fps is easy with a 458WM. Lastly that same article on African Hunter you misquoted also dedicated quite a lot of ink to the notion that a 700 (and without irons as backup to boot) and dangerous game is an oxymoron. Honestly...jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
[quote=oldman1942]Well let me think..who has more DECADES/Centuries of experience building rifles for big, bad things that eat/stomp and gore you?

You should have brought this to the attention of Winchester, Remington, Ruger, and Hornady years ago. You could have saved them the expense of years of product development for naught. Perhaps you could call them now and tell them to go home because it's not possible to improve on what was developed 100 years ago.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First of all, this may come as a shock, the 700 is a push feed.

All those companies you cited have brought out and dumped so many duds over the years, I doubt they want my thoughts.
The 5mm Rem, the 25/30/32 rem, the 32, 35 351 and 401 WRA autos,
the 22 rem & win autos, the 22 WRF....tell me when you want me to stop. Ruger & Hornady will catch up when the 375 H&H and 416 Rigby are still killing game as they have done for nearly a century.

You buy whatever you want, but don't fool yourself that they are in any way superior to what the Brits were building decades ago and still are.

BTW 400 H&H brass is available from Qual Cartridge. You might learn "Google".

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have built a couple of 416 Rugers on 98 Mauser actions and added all the bells and whistles to them,I actually built them before the 416 Ruger existed. I think I built the first one ever? It just seemed natural to neck the 375 Ruger up to a 40..so I built two and sold them both. I had no trouble at all getting 2400 FPS out of them with a 400 gr. bullet..Great caliber IMO..another fellow on here, picked up where I left of and beat me to the 404 Ruger, and even better caliber perhaps, but it would be argueable and without reason, they are all the same.

The Ruger 416s fully equalled the 416 Remington and the std. accepted load in the 416 Rigby is 2400 FPS..They are all about the same for all practical purposes. The Ruger can be built on a much smaller action and in a lighter rifle if you prefer...

I, personally, will stay with the 416 Rem. as I have a ton of loaded ammo for it..and the 416 Rigby is an old outdated caliber the requires a big action that should be a 500 some odd in the first place, at least IMO..but it is a dandy caliber even today. In fact, I recently acquired a 416 Rigby in a Ruger No.1 that is a tack driver, and I am sure that I will like it.

Of note in all fairness, the 416 Rigby is simply a 416 WBY without the belt and is capable of an easy 2700 FPS and I know some hardy boys that shoot thier No. 1s in 416 Rigby at a bit more than 2900 FPS with a 400 gr. monolithic bullet, they spend their weekends slewing such beasts as watermellon, cantalope, blocks of ice,and any other substance that make pretty showers of juice and chunks fling in all directions, and they can put on quite a show, make one hell of a mess, but they clean things up and go to the nearest pub and join in the merriment of balictics and planning fun gun things to do next week end with their big bores, not to mention they annually kill Whitetail, Javalina and feral hogs by the gross ton.

When it comes to 40 caliber, all you have to do is pick the one you like, not the one that someone else recommends, they are all about the same as far as hunting cartridges..I would pick the gun I like as opposed to which 40....enjoy! smile

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
oldman1942

You're right, there have been some duds over the years, but that was also true 100 years ago. Your posts are starting to remind me of the bureaucrat who wanted to close the U.S. patent office about 100 years ago "because everything that can be invented has been invented".

Last edited by doubletap; 12/22/09.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, it's your money, if you want to reinvent the wheel, feel free, just don't whine when a 375 H&H or 416 Rigby will sell when you want to unload it, ammo can be bought in the third world and new is not necessarily better. I missed out on the Corvair too! (LOL)

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd happily sell a few rifles and donate it to 'Buy a prostate of oldman1942' if it would shut you TFU.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does anyone who actually owns one complain when people advocate a different model for themselves? I'm starting to think this guy -- oldman1942 -- is complaining overmuch to people like me, who actually do own rifles, and ones that we bought because we like them.

Maybe he's an Atkinson-style expert, but then we've seen Ray's reality...

Dennis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
First of all, this may come as a shock, the 700 is a push feed.

NOSHITSHERLOCK...jorge

PS:Product #: 325716
Manufacturer #: 400HH
Price : $ 46.49

Real popular round that one and a 700 in 400 H&H? LOL that's like putting spinners on a Bentley....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ummmmmmmm all I can say is I am glad that I purchased my .416 Remington magnum in a model 70 Winchester and it won't be for sale anytime in the next 20 years.

Store bought ammo is half the price of Rigby cartridges, sorry I must think of things like that since I am a working class person. The Winchester is set up proper and the safety is not small like the Ruger. I have never had any pressure problems when hunting in Africa with the rifle period. It worked like a Swiss watch!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As a lefty I am in the process of putting a 416 Ruger together. Ordered a #5 Shilen SS barrel and it is going on a stainless Ruger in the laminate stock. Bet it will be just the ticket for brownies wearing a 1.5x5 Leupold.

Love all these new cartridges coming out. Animals never know if they are hit with a 416 Rem, Rigby or Ruger:)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have heard rumors of a .416 Remington (Remington 700)in a local gun shop at a reasonable price. I am going to check it out this morning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HBB,
That sounds interesting.

I used to own a Ruger Magnum in 416 Rigby, a nice rifle, but a bit much for rock chucks and crows...
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
From what I've read, unless that rifle was built 100 years ago, on the other side of the pond, you'd be wasting your money. grin

- Albert Einstein
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Gee thanks Dennis, what have I done to set you off, had an opinnion? Being opinnionated has never been a crime in my books.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atkinson
Gee thanks Dennis, what have I done to set you off, had an opinnion? Being opinnionated has never been a crime in my books.

Ray...sorry you misunderstood me about you...guess I was very unclear. You know a vast amount of stuff; have had a vast array of experiences; and happily share with us. I was comparing you as the highly knowledgeable guy to oldman1942, who makes lots of rude statements to many of us, yet shows exactly no exidence of having ever done anything. With you -- we know that you have more experience than any of us will likely ever have, and you're a straight-forward communicator. I personally appreciate that very much, whether I agree with you or not.

No sir -- nothing in my note intended as any form of criticism of you. I apologize for stating my point so poorly that you felt that I was.

Dennis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No joy on the local .416 RM. The shop was closed for Christmas.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 700 was not built across any pond unless you want to count the Green River lakes.

They are all fine guns....H&Hs are just better.

Cases for the 400 may be EASILY made from 375 H&H and new ones are made by Qual-Cartridge....just pick up the phone.

If you shoot a gun designed for Africa or Alaska and the cost of ammo is an issue you have a bigger problem than saving a few 100 $ on ammo will fix.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have built a couple of 416 Rugers on 98 Mauser actions and added all the bells and whistles to them,I actually built them before the 416 Ruger existed. ... Great caliber IMO..another fellow on here, picked up where I left of and beat me to the 404 Ruger, and even better caliber perhaps, but it would be argueable and without reason, they are all the same.

Yes, the 404 Ruger is a great cartridge indeed. even if it remains an unsung wildcat. Being the fellow you refer to, I can tell you it certainly does kill buffs dead. Maybe no better than the 416s, but clearly no worse. And since Africa is all about nostalgia, I'll take a 404 anytime for buff and a 500NE DR for ele, and call it good! Bliss, indeed ... smile

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This has been an interesting read from the standpoint of someone whose experiences with cartridges larger than 375 is limited to shooting a few 416 Taylor's, 458's and a 460 Weatherby(not much fun).... eek at the range...

That said it appears the discussions about American vs Britisg DG cartridges is likely to continue unabted for quite awhile.I can understand where Oldman is coming from because from what I understand the Brits designed their DG cartridges based on the propellants available at the time(cordite),with a mind toward low pressures and reliable function from a magazine rifle and easy feeding and extraction under dirty, grimy,and rust-inducing hot'wet tropical conditions.

Thus they wound up with large cases of sloped, tapered designs that headspaced on rims(for double rifles) and belts for magazine rifles;these fed like grease from magazine rifles ,and initial extraction in Mauser-type actions pulled the fired cases away from the walls of the chambers more readily than the somewhat more straight taper of American designs.Also, headspacing on rims or belts allowed a bit of "slop"in the chamber so that cartridges would chamber more easily if the chamber or case were somewhat dirty or rusty...the belt also served as a firm "stop" so that the case would not move forward under the heavy impact from a Mauser-type firing pin,thereby ensuring reliable ignition.

In designing the 400H&H(a recent development,not really "old") my understanding is that H&H took these "traditional"characteristics into consideration when designing the cases,keeping the old design of a sloping case,optimum velocity and likely low pressures,along with the belt for headspace,etc.

OTOH, American cases(458 Win Mag,416 Remington,375 Ruger) are characterized by straighter cases,higher pressures,smaller case capacity,and shorter more confined actions than the Brits worked with,and so were loaded with more modern propellants.Today we have much better powders than the Brits had to work with "way back when",less temperature sensitive and so on,so that we maybe get the velocity without so much danger of a bolt binding up under tropical heat..But I dunno because here and there you still hear about high pressure sticking cartridges in hot chambers with things like the 416 Remington and some others.

Likely with the progress made with modern propellants,stronger brass,and better projectiles all that came before may become moot as cartridges like the 416 Ruger,etc become popular.

It really isn't hard to understand both sides of the debate,but it also is difficult to ignore the vast experience of the Brits and the cartridges and rifles that have done the job for decades when the chips are down.......so I say let both sides have at it,let the cartridge development continue and hopefully no one on either side will get pounded or gored in the process! smile

Merry Christmas to all!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have the itch for something with more umph than my .340 Wby. Has anyone tried the .416 Ruger yet?

Have you ever tried a 378 Weatherby? grin

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RyanScott
The only thing keeping me from the 416 Ruger is the inability of Winchester to make them. I think this will cut 416RM sales dramatically, when more makes build rifles.

As to the standard action business, I've been using magnum actions for a couple of years now and haven't noticed a problem. I can see the advantages wrt production but in the field I've not found a difference.

Kind of what I am wondering. Why is it such a big deal to make the action half an inch longer?
Just because it saves Ruger money to make short actions doesn't mean that the short cartridges are superior does it?
For example why put a 375 Ruger in a #1 when you could easily use the H&H cartridge? I don't see the advantage.
You could use the .416 Rigby in a #1 as easily as a 416 Ruger so where is the advantage?
I didn't realize there was such a demand for elephant rifles?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whelennut

Have you ever tried a 378 Weatherby? grin

Yes, been there, done that, got the slobber knocked out of my nose. grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd happily sell a few rifles and donate it to 'Buy a prostate of oldman1942' if it would shut you TFU.
..................Way to go Steelhead.....I`m LMAO!!!!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Kind of what I am wondering. Why is it such a big deal to make the action half an inch longer?
Just because it saves Ruger money to make short actions doesn't mean that the short cartridges are superior does it?
For example why put a 375 Ruger in a #1 when you could easily use the H&H cartridge? I don't see the advantage.
You could use the .416 Rigby in a #1 as easily as a 416 Ruger so where is the advantage?
I didn't realize there was such a demand for elephant rifles?
..........Ryan and Whelennut,,,,,The longer magnum actions that I `ve owned in the past have never given me a problem. The shorter actions are not superior per say over the longer actions.

However, the shorter actioned rifles provide slightly less rifle weight due to the chambering of certain cartridges which have less OAL. The 375 Ruger wasn`t developed to somehow drop game with more or better killing power than the 375 H&H (as there is no difference between the two in that dept).

Instead, the 375 Ruger was developed to provide the same ballistic performance AS the longer magnum actioned, 45.5" to 46.5" OAL 375 H&H rifles with their 24" to 25" barrel lengths. From a ballistic standpoint, the 375 Ruger can equally do so from a 20" barrel, from a rifle such as the Hawkeye Alaskan, that has an overall rifle length of only 40.75 inches and which costs less too.

Imo, this has nothing to do with any dollar savings Ruger may save in building the shorter actions. Instead, the 375 Ruger simply offers equal performance from a shorter package.

Though the 416 Ruger from a 20" barrel cannot equal the ballistic m/velocity of the 416 Rigby, it really doesn`t need to. Any reputable PH in Africa, should in all cases, provide a shot opportunity for their clients to within a 100 yards or less of dangerous quarry. A 400 gr bullet moving at 2350-2400 fps from a 20" 416 Ruger, will kill equally as well within 100 yards (given the same shot placement and bullet) as the 416 Rigby.

Lest we forget, the vitals in the animal (which is what really needs to be disrupted), are located in the center of the animal. So within 100 yards, the same 400 gr bullet moving from the muzzle @ 2350-2400 fps, will result in the same kill as the same 400 gr bullet moving @ 2600 to 2700 fps.

Like the 375 Ruger, the 416 Ruger simply provides a shorter (lesser expensive) packaged rifle to achieve the same end result.

This is why the 375 Ruger has been so successful and why the 416 Ruger given more time, will make its mark into the 416 field. And given more time as well, we just may see other rifle manufacturers chamber the 416 Ruger, just as others have already indicated plans to chamber the 375 Ruger, namely in the Howa M1500 and CZ.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Dennis,
Now you went and dun it, I am truly humbled and somewhat embarressed with such praise..I am going to have to take reading lessons it seems! smile smile smile

Anyway back to the business at hand..The 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger and that lovely 404 Ruger wildcat are contenders for the new world championship...If Ruger misses out on a 404 Ruger they will not only give up a first 404 in centuries, but they will do a great injustice to all those 404 lovers who simple cannot or will not drop a ton of money in a rifle..It would sell like hotcakes at a whorehouse on an early Saturday morning.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What does the 404 do that the .416 doesn't?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Ryan,
The 404 has nothing over the 416 Rem., Ruger, Rigby..all the same balistically..The 404 has ombiance and nostalgic properties and that's important to some..I love the 404 btw..

I shoot a 416 Rem mostly and because its the most practical and I have so much ammo stowed away for it..

I have owned and built a few 416 Rigbys and 404 Jefferys on standard actions but was never quite satisfied with them, they fed 100 percent, but not 110 percent if you know what I mean...I know Rigby made a few of them also...

The best 416 Rigbys and 404 Jefferys rifles I have owned and built were on the big Obendorf Mauser actions (mod. 20s) they all fed 115 percent, had plenty of room. The one exception was an original 404 Jefferys on a std. Mauser action, and it was a dilly...Also the old FNs were nice but only held two down and one in the chamber. I did see one that held 3 down for some reason. Lots of these still in the Tanzania Game Dept, but mostly in junk condition. I also saw some awesome British sporting rifles, FNs in all calibers in a Govt. warehouse in Mozambique and I tried to work a deal to buy them and import them but to no avail..Hundreds of them were stored there, and later destroyed I am told..

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
bigsqueeze,
Call me doubting Thomas. Every time a manufacturing company finds a way to do something cheaper they will do it if it saves them a nickel on each one, and they run a lot of 1,000 pcs.
Somebody will be patting themself on the back, you can be sure.
If it saves them money then it is somehow a benefit to the consumer according to their marketing department. I guess I am getting old and cynical. crazy
I haven't seen any major improvements over the original 98 Mauser except for the quality of the steel.
whelennut

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The notion that the .416 Remington is over-pressure for hunting in warmer weather was indeed evidently a product of some very early factory loads--plus perhaps the handloads of some guys who somehow think that a 400-grain bullet has to go faster than 2400 fps to kill anything.

I recently ran some tests with two boxes of factory .416 Remington ammo on a very hot August day of almost 100 degrees. One box of ammo was from the early 1990's (the .416 Remington was introduced in 1988) and one was recent. Neither created the slightest problem in my custom-barreled Model 70 Classic, in fact I probably could have opened the bolt on any fired case with my little finger.

I then decided to jack things up a notch and put several rounds of the newer stuff inside a plastic bag with a small theremometer, which got the temperature up to 110. These "hot" rounds also showed no sign of excessive pressure.

My best guess is that if anybody today experiences extraction difficulties with the .416 Remington then the problem is either due to poor rifle maintenance or too-hot handloads.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
bigsqueeze,
Call me doubting Thomas. Every time a manufacturing company finds a way to do something cheaper they will do it if it saves them a nickel on each one, and they run a lot of 1,000 pcs.
Somebody will be patting themself on the back, you can be sure.
If it saves them money then it is somehow a benefit to the consumer according to their marketing department. I guess I am getting old and cynical. crazy
I haven't seen any major improvements over the original 98 Mauser except for the quality of the steel.
whelennut
............I will call U a doubting Thomas then, and respectfully disagree!! LOL!!

Sure! Everyone wants to save a buck! It`s not that they are deliberately trying to make things cheaper, as Ruger makes the longer magnum actions too. Shorter actioned rifles simply take a little less raw material to manufacture than will the longer actions.

It`s not a matter of making them cheaper, it is a matter of supplying rifles to the shooting public which chamber the shorter rounds of 30-06 lengths and less; the WSMs, SAUMs, RCMs etc from Remington, Browning, Ruger, Kimber and from a few others.

Just because the actions are shorter, does not mean they are cheaply built!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ryan,
The 404 has nothing over the 416 Rem., Ruger, Rigby..all the same balistically..The 404 has ombiance and nostalgic properties and that's important to some..I love the 404 btw..

I shoot a 416 Rem mostly and because its the most practical and I have so much ammo stowed away for it..

I have owned and built a few 416 Rigbys and 404 Jefferys on standard actions but was never quite satisfied with them, they fed 100 percent, but not 110 percent if you know what I mean...I know Rigby made a few of them also...

The best 416 Rigbys and 404 Jefferys rifles I have owned and built were on the big Obendorf Mauser actions (mod. 20s) they all fed 115 percent, had plenty of room. The one exception was an original 404 Jefferys on a std. Mauser action, and it was a dilly...Also the old FNs were nice but only held two down and one in the chamber. I did see one that held 3 down for some reason. Lots of these still in the Tanzania Game Dept, but mostly in junk condition. I also saw some awesome British sporting rifles, FNs in all calibers in a Govt. warehouse in Mozambique and I tried to work a deal to buy them and import them but to no avail..Hundreds of them were stored there, and later destroyed I am told..

I was going to build a Ruger but ended up with a CZ Rigby which I sent to AHR for a new stock and such. I like the nostalgia of it. I can see that too with the 404J but what I don't understand is the 404 Ruger. If it isn't a cartridge with a history I figure it might as well use common bullets so it's cheap to shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was going to build a Ruger but ended up with a CZ Rigby which I sent to AHR for a new stock and such. I like the nostalgia of it. I can see that too with the 404J but what I don't understand is the 404 Ruger. If it isn't a cartridge with a history I figure it might as well use common bullets so it's cheap to shoot.

And I like the idea of having something outside the standard that works nicely -- the .404 Ruger being such an animal. In today's world it's really not very costly to have such a thing built and to handload for it. It would plain and simple be fun, and that's pretty much all it needs to take. Doesn't have to fit anyone else's opinion to work nicely.

Dennis

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As muledeer points out, total work to turn a 375 Ruger into a 404 Ruger is a re-bore. Done by none other than Danny Pedersen of Classic Barrel Works, it runs a whooping $350. An exotic wildcat with proven ballistics, for a song. BTW, this is what $3.00 worth of those uncommon 0.423" bullets do best
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The buff taking 2 shots ran up the tab a bit.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And you're the living proof of my point... smile.

Thanks for making my point with reality and actual accomplishments. Pretty cool...

Dennis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I paid less for my CZ 550 Magnum in 416 than the prices I see for Rugers, and don't see how the heck it is any less functional than a Ruger would be. Plus I could always make a 460 Rigby out of it, but how good is a 45 Ruger going to be?

In the end - the game wont know the difference, but the Ruger has its faults, its too short, lacks a belt, the action lacks mass to absorb recoil, and the name is kind of dorky - LOL

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
BTW, this is what an actual 45 Ruger looks like

[Linked Image]

And lest we forget, it looks this way because when Thor needed a hammer he went to a blacksmith named Jack Lott. smile

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice critters with the .404 cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
I paid less for my CZ 550 Magnum in 416 than the prices I see for Rugers, and don't see how the heck it is any less functional than a Ruger would be. Plus I could always make a 460 Rigby out of it, but how good is a 45 Ruger going to be?

In the end - the game wont know the difference, but the Ruger has its faults, its too short, lacks a belt, the action lacks mass to absorb recoil, and the name is kind of dorky - LOL

Not sure how you managed to pay less for a CZ 550 Magnum than a Ruger 77, but congratulations. Given that I can buy a .375 Ruger Hawkeye suitable for conversion to .404 Ruger for about $800, I don't think the CZ is the right approach.

In response to your "dislikes" -- the .416 is too long; I despise belted cartridges as the 100-year-old attempt to solve a problem than hasn't existed for 99 years; the action mass isn't what solves recoil issues; and the Ruger is plenty big enough; and having met Mr Ruger, I don't look down on his name.

No offense intended -- just a complete disagreement on points.

Dennis

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lets see........just ordered a left hand stainless Ruger in 300 Win Mag with the laminate stock for approximately $525 including shipping and transfer fees.
Add one Shilen stainless .416 match barrel for $200.
Smith will most likely charge me about $175-$200 to chamber it and screw it on and mount the Willams iron sights (maybe $60).
This gives me a custom lefty Ruger 416 for under $1K. Would be even cheaper if I could of purchased a right hand. Will most likely add a couple of pins in the stock and glass the action. If this isnt an ultimate brown bear back up rifle then I don't know what is:)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds great, but what will you be backing that brown bear up from?

smile

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Lets see........just ordered a left hand stainless Ruger in 300 Win Mag with the laminate stock for approximately $525 including shipping and transfer fees.

Is that price for a new or used rifle?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
New, delivered to Alaska
Have your dealer check with the big distributors. They are out there at these prices. Rumor has it the lefty SS's are being discontinued. Although I have not seen anything in writing from Ruger to this effect. My dealer said these cheap prices only applied to calibers 25-06 and 300 Win Mag when he ordered them.

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 01/02/10.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's my luck. I'm watching for a lefty SS 30-06 for my oldest.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Why does the Ruger 416 get the same velocity with a 20" barrel compared to the Rem.416 24"?

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Magic pixie dust.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I thought you could not buy the new powder to reload with only the ready made cartridge? How are people able to reload and get faster speed from there short barrels compared to Rem. .416?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because they have chronographs; they pay attention to discussion of various powder uses; they know what shows pressure issues; they call various factories and talk with a variety of them; and they test factory loads and know the difference between what is claimed and what happens.

I have yet to find the reality of the claims made, at least for the .338 Fed and .338 RCM, that handloaders can't match the factory loads. You do have to approach carefully and have a clue, and be willing to understand that it's really not very crucial if the best you can do is within 100 fps or so. But so far I'm not even having to deal with that.

Dennis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why would Ruger only see fit to bring its 416 to market in a #1, and the 20" Hawkeye Alaskan? Why not the Hawkeye African?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Why would Ruger only see fit to bring its 416 to market in a #1, and the 20" Hawkeye Alaskan? Why not the Hawkeye African?
............Stay tuned!!! They will!

But foist, they must solve the stock splitting issues periodically seen on the 375 Ruger Africans.

That`s the inside scoop!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

But foist, they must solve the stock splitting issues periodically seen on the 375 Ruger Africans.

That`s the inside scoop!

Maybe they should consult a good stock maker! Or offer it (the 416) in a non-tupperware, composite stock version. What is significantly different between the Hawkeye stock and the stocks used previously for their big-bores?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

That`s the inside scoop!

Maybe they should consult a good stock maker! Or offer it (the 416) in a non-tupperware, composite stock version. What is significantly different between the Hawkeye stock and the stocks used previously for their big-bores?
............Don`t know what the difference would be in the wood. But knowing Ruger the way I do, they`d want to solve the splitting problems using the same wood stocks in order to keep the retail cost of the Hawkeyes down, which happens to be their strong selling point.

I wouldn`t mind seeing the 23" African version in a synthetic type stock either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That`s the inside scoop!

............Don`t know what the difference would be in the wood. But knowing Ruger the way I do, they`d want to solve the splitting problems using the same wood stocks in order to keep the retail cost of the Hawkeyes down, which happens to be their strong selling point.

I wouldn`t mind seeing the 23" African version in a synthetic type stock either.

They really need to take a look at the math. Selling zero(0) African's in 416 = $0. Increase the cost by $200 (the difference between the cost of their wood stock and a worthy composite) and generate revenue ($$) greater than zero (0).

In the mean time, the alternatives for a 416 Ruger bolt-action is a CZ Customer Shop, or build your own.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I`m sure that thought has crossed the minds at Ruger.

B
B
Of course the other option is to stay with the alaskan if you want the 416 ruger. Whilst it dosent have the extra few inches of barrel and is synthetic stocked it is still a cheaper way to get a 416 rugerthan looking at the other options.
I know down under here in Australia there is a lot of interest in a 416 ruger in the african but those that are interested will take an alaskan for now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The thought of the 416 Ruger in an Alaskan has crossed my mind. If I could buy it as a barreled action, I would. But I am dead set against the factory 'tupperware' stock - including the Hogue.

I find it hard to fathom that for years Ruger could built and sell the 375 H&H and 458 Win Mag in the M77 with wood stocks but can't seem to turn the corner and offer a stout wood stock for the 416 and Hawkeye. Rant off//

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The thought of the 416 Ruger in an Alaskan has crossed my mind. If I could buy it as a barreled action, I would. But I am dead set against the factory 'tupperware' stock - including the Hogue.

I find it hard to fathom that for years Ruger could built and sell the 375 H&H and 458 Win Mag in the M77 with wood stocks but can't seem to turn the corner and offer a stout wood stock for the 416 and Hawkeye. Rant off//
.............Then why not buy the Alaskan and swap the stock??? Someone on here did that, but I don`t remember what stock they replaced the Hogue with.

Ruger feels that the Hogue stocks are very grippy in wet weather (which they are), and capable of any hardship or punishment regardless of terrain or weather. Though one does need larger hands for the larger pistol grip and palm swell. Not a problem in that area for me anyway! For others it would be a problem and a downside!

Vs the wood, I don`t have the need to worry about dings, dents, scratching, wood warping, leaning it against or placing it on some rocks or trees, or babying that rifle in any way on a hunt.

But if for any reason, I ever become dis-satisfied with the Hogue stock on my Alaskan, I`ll replace it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.............Then why not buy the Alaskan and swap the stock??? Someone on here did that, but I don`t remember what stock they replaced the Hogue with.

Because in addition to the wood stock 1) I'd like the 23" bbl. and 2) I don't care to spend 60% of the cost of the gun to put a good composite stock on it. crazy

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Oh yeah!.......You`d like a 23" tubed 416 Ruger!! I forgot!

Well! You can get the 23" tubed 375 Ruger African and have it rebarreled to the 416 Ruger??????

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C'mon 'Squeeze, I want my cake and to eat it too!

Believe me when I say that I have researched the alternatives for a Bolt action 416 Ruger. Pickin's are slim. CZ will build one for a touch under $3k, beyond that I wait for Ruger to figure things out, buy an Alaskan and restock it, or as you say - rebarrel at 375 Ruger. If I am going to go to the extent of rebarreling a Ruger, I'd go a step further and rebarrel a M70 and have the ancillary work done, and add a McM as well. Building my own could potentially be a 6 month project - mostly because of waiting for a stock. It may very well take Ruger that long to iron out the issues with splitting stocks. For now, I'm choosing to see what Ruger does and what sort of time-line they are projecting.

FWIW, If I wanted a Rigby or Rem Mag, there are more options, and greater availability, but I'm not necessarily a fan of belted magnums, or the steep cost of Rigby ammo. In the end, I'll get what I desire, even if it takes weekly prodding of Ruger's R&D to keep things moving.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Keep in contact with Ruger then for some progress reports. I know how that cake and eating it too thing works as well.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Oh yeah!.......You`d like a 23" tubed 416 Ruger!! I forgot!

Well! You can get the 23" tubed 375 Ruger African and have it rebarreled to the 416 Ruger??????

Or re-bored for about $300.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Does anyone know what powder Hornady is using in the 400gr DGX
It weighs in at 90.2grains as far as I can tell.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What mag box/feeding issues would one expect in a mod 70 Classic .300 WM re-barreled to .416 Ruger?

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger Big Shots (check your emails) - what's seems to be the major malfunction on introducing a .416 Ruger on the walnut "African" platform? Surely, the stock splitting issue will be resoveld (or will be SOON). Pay attention here - people want this product and are wondering what's it going to take to get one! Regards, Homesteader

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ruger Big Shots (check your emails) - what's seems to be the major malfunction on introducing a .416 Ruger on the walnut "African" platform? Surely, the stock splitting issue will be resoveld (or will be SOON). Pay attention here - people want this product and are wondering what's it going to take to get one! Regards, Homesteader
......................Yep!........Boddington wrote the same in an on-line article a few months ago! After Ruger solves the stock splitting issues, the 416 Ruger "IS" coming in the African version, which btw, could be easily foreseen after the 375 Ruger was intro`d in the African.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If Ruger can't fix a stock splitting problem in 10 minutes they need to fire the help and hire me for big bucks..I'd buy them a glass bedding kit and two cross bolts!!, remind them that poor bedding is a culprit of stock splitting as is poor quality wood. The could also change the angled front screw to a straight up and down one like a Mauser..I have seen that done on some earlier mod 77s and its a 60 minute job...

The bottom line is it is not a problem or at least it shouldn't be.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This weeks Tracks Across Africa show on the Outdoor Channel is a hunt with Steve Hornady for Cape Buffalo starring the .416 Ruger. Very good! Try to catch it!

After the successful introduction of the .416 Ruger, stay tuned for the introduction of the .458 Ruger. Just my opinion, but.....wait for it! It is the natural progression of things. Ruger and Hornady have got this stuff figured out. They have found a niche, and are running with it.

Last edited by daddywpb; 04/20/10.

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by daddywpb
This weeks Tracks Across Africa show on the Outdoor Channel is a hunt with Steve Hornady for Cape Buffalo starring the .416 Ruger. Very good! Try to catch it!

After the successful introduction of the .416 Ruger, stay tuned for the introduction of the .458 Ruger. Just my opinion, but.....wait for it! It is the natural progression of things. Ruger and Hornady have got this stuff figured out. They have found a niche, and are running with it.
...........You bet they are! And we ALL KNEW that the 375 Ruger casing was going to be necked up after the 375 Ruger was first into`d!!!.... wink

And I won`t be surprised sometime to see a 7mm Ruger, 300 Ruger and a 338 Ruger based on the full sized 375 Ruger casing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Search 338 Camp Fire Rick Bin did this a few years back. The first article I read on Camp Fire And then I joined

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by daddywpb

There have been a few episodes of Tracks Across African that have 'featured' the .416 Ruger - all of them in the "Alaskan" configuration - stainless/synthetic. What some of use want is the .416 Ruger in the "African" configuration - blued/wood. Few, if any of these have been seen in public. I suspect if Boddington puts some weight behind it (the 416 African) we may see it sooner, rather than later. He seems to have Ruger's ear right now.

In the mean time, I have yet to hear back or see a response to my "Ask the CEO" question on Ruger's site.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Yeeeehawwww! the rebirth of the wildcatter, a resourceful individual that is always a one upper on the rest, he is of a curmudgeon bloodline, his head is made up, he will never bend to the wind, and he will never find satisfaction in what others have, he will covet your design, steal your ideas and claim fame where it does not exist...He is the last of a dieing breed, and all this rose from its smelly rotten grave with the birth of the .375 Ruger case..Like Count Dracula it dripped blood into its bowells and it rose to reign terror uppon all those who have pinned his heart with a wooden stake and squashed his love of the wildcat caliber by fulfilling all needs with factory persuasion, now that too has come to an end, They are Baaaaaak

So, hows that?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WiFowler - have sent the Ruger CEO several emails and have yet to receive the courtesy of any sort of reply. Even if his staffers just sent back a "message received will respond shortly" is better than NOTHING! What's the purpose of this "voice of the customer" approach if the manufacturer neglects to respond... Regards Homesteader.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
When you say that something "old" which is proven is better, they were all new at one time. The only logical thinking is that the newer stuff should be better because we have had a century or two to figure out what makes the cake. Saying old is better because it's proven, might as well start throwing rocks at animals, because it worked right? After all we are still here. Just pointing that out to oldman1942... You need valid statistical arguments for why something is better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Speak of the devil . . . just got this from the Ruger CEO

"Dear Mr. xxxxxxx,

We would all like to see the .416 Ruger rifle in the wood-stock African version, but our engineering recourses are stretched really thin with all of our new products and we just haven�t been able to put the testing into that platform to feel confident in releasing it. We have added many engineers to our staff � and continue to look for more � but just don�t have enough to do everything we want to do as fast as we want it done.

Anyway, it�s on our list of �to-do�s.�

Best regards,
Mike Fifer, CEO"

Edit-added: We exchanged a couple of emails regarding the prospect of a .416 Ruger in the African flavor

Last edited by WiFowler; 04/26/10.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WiFowler - regarding you post. I received the exact same message from Mike Fifer on the .416 "African". While not a definitive response concerning product release at least it's a start on building dialog. Regards, Homesteader.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Its not much of a trick to roll our own...You can build a 416 Ruger on about any std. action..why wait, the ammos out there, and the cost would be the same unless you go crazy like I do and add all the bells and whistles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its not much of a trick to roll our own...You can build a 416 Ruger on about any std. action..why wait, the ammos out there, and the cost would be the same unless you go crazy like I do and add all the bells and whistles.

Debatable. But 1) it would be nice to go into the local purveyor of firearms and say "I want one of those", fill out the 4473 and be done with it, and 2) I currently have an action at a 'smith who is supposedly rolling me a 375 Ruger - or so he's been telling me for 5 months (another tale in and of itself.) In this case the cost 'should' be less (I had an action AND a barrel). Where I to build a 416, I'd need to acquire an action (CRF), barrel (SS), sights, and suitable stock for less than going rate of a Mk II African (~$800). That might be a stretch.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
WiFowler,
Under those circumstance I am sure your right..it is what it is and one must shop put a pencil to it for sure..and it would depend on what would satisfy you.

But I suspect that I could build a 416 Rem or Ruger pretty close to under a $1000...A FN action at $300, a douglas barrel $109, and a composite or laminated stock blank for $100, the action work is done, a chamber for $150 and I would do the the stock myself. I wouldn't be too far off with the additions of iron sights and a blue job..but you never know because one has a tendency to keep dressing those little darlings! smile smile smile thats where the killer comes in! smile smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ray - you are correct in "how" a .416 Ruger can be put together using those components BUT if anything didn't fit you'd have finger pointing as to whom is responsible for the SNAFU. By going factory i.e. Ruger "African" that is eliminated - one (1) manufacturer deemed worthy enough to produce a quality rifle. IMO - that is what is desired and what I'm waiting for. Regards, Homesteader.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Atkinson,

I asked a local gunsmith here in Boise, at the Buckhorn Gun Shop, about converting my Mauser 30/06 sporter, with it's 1909 Argentine action, into a .375 Ruger. He advised not doing it due to the Action metallurgy and the .375 Ruger being a higher than standard pressure cartridge. We didn't go into what it might cost.

Should I take it you disagree with the gunsmith? Could I have your opinion?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Although the slickest of actions, the '09 Argentines are notoriously soft. Use a commercial FN and build a Ruger 375/416. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ray - you are correct in "how" a .416 Ruger can be put together using those components BUT if anything didn't fit you'd have finger pointing as to whom is responsible for the SNAFU. By going factory i.e. Ruger "African" that is eliminated - one (1) manufacturer deemed worthy enough to produce a quality rifle. IMO - that is what is desired and what I'm waiting for. Regards, Homesteader.

What Homesteader said (tm Tonto). In the meantime, Ray, would you point us to your supply of $300 commercial FNS? smile

Back to the subject and Mr Fifer's response. I believe that his response and acknowledgememt is a step in the right direction. At least now he knows that someone, or a group of someones, are keeping track. Maybe that'll do something to make the .416 Ruger African a reality.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WiFowler - came across an article (can't recall the magazine title or date)wherein Mike Fifer states Ruger's "voice of the customer" program drives the allocation of engineering resources to produce what Ruger customer's want. IF the .416 "African" is to become reality many more individuals need to contact Ruger and clearly state this i.e. "squeaky wheel syndrome". Ruger will produce it IF they hear from enough of us who truely want this rifle. Regards, Homesteader.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Homesteader - agreed. Might consider 'inviting' Mr. Fifer to review this thread. Maybe it will steer engineering towards a 416 African instead of another LCP or LCR destine for recall . . . .

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
WiFowler,

Be thankful to Ruger. They might sale a few hundred rifles in 416 Ruger a year. They will even be competing with their own .416 Rigby M77 mk II Magnum express rifle sales.

The market for Ruger pocket carry self defense pistols could be on the order of ten thousand a year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IdahoGuy101 - agreed...BUT would rather have this one rifle before I get "too" old to use it. I want to squeeze its trigger not "set it on stun" - LOL. Homesteader.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IdahoGuy101 - agreed...BUT would rather have this one rifle before I get "too" old to use it. I want to squeeze its trigger not "set it on stun" - LOL. Homesteader.

I like the way Homesteader thinks!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
WiFowler & Homesteader,

2 plus. Don't missunderstand me. I agree with both of you that 416 Ruger rifles would be great. But Ruger can't afford many special projects that they lose money on. They have to look at the a 416 Ruger rifle as a money loser.

But they're still doing it. On their schedule... I'm grateful that Ruger isn't run by "bean counters" with MBAs who can and have ruined most of America's once great industries. Ruger actually cares about what their customers wants are and takes risks. Think of how long Ruger has kept making rifles in 257 Roberts when it was dead to virtually all the other gun companies!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I want a 416 Ruger African too. Hope fully my 375 Ruger African I sent back to them last week with a cracked stock will help them solve the problem. Looked to me like it needs another cross bolt, will see what they send me. Great gun regardless.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimone
I want a 416 Ruger African too. Hope fully my 375 Ruger African I sent back to them last week with a cracked stock will help them solve the problem. Looked to me like it needs another cross bolt, will see what they send me. Great gun regardless.

Glass bedding couldn't hurt either.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I recommend not using a lead sled on these rifles as it transmits a lot of energy to the stock rather than the shooter as it was designed to do.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My rifle should be back today. One week turnaround with a new stock at no charge, why would anyone buy anything else? If i had glass bedded it the story wouldn't be the same.

N
N

The only real issue is that it has a complete POS stock, which no one who I've ever taalked to in Alaska has kept, on the short-barrelled version. It's a target-model Hogue, and Ruger has never put anything on any of their rifles that was worse-designed and implemented than that one.
Dennis

This is not the first complaint about the Hogue stock that I have heard, but I don't get it. Perhaps it's my lack of experience with others, but it seems to suit me. Fits me well, good length of pull, I like the grippy stock and my 375 Alaskan shoots half inch groups (with Hornady factory 300gr RN, and sub MOA w/ ALL of the factory loads) so it obviously works fine...and it knocks wild hogs right the heck down! (yeah, overkill, I know)

All that said, I have heard complaints enough to trust that there is something to it...so what gives? Chime in about whatever it is that I am missing. Thanks!

-Joe (long time lurker, first time poster)

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by noordinaryjoe

The only real issue is that it has a complete POS stock, which no one who I've ever taalked to in Alaska has kept, on the short-barrelled version. It's a target-model Hogue, and Ruger has never put anything on any of their rifles that was worse-designed and implemented than that one.
Dennis

This is not the first complaint about the Hogue stock that I have heard, but I don't get it. Perhaps it's my lack of experience with others, but it seems to suit me. Fits me well, good length of pull, I like the grippy stock and my 375 Alaskan shoots half inch groups (with Hornady factory 300gr RN, and sub MOA w/ ALL of the factory loads) so it obviously works fine...and it knocks wild hogs right the heck down! (yeah, overkill, I know)

All that said, I have heard complaints enough to trust that there is something to it...so what gives? Chime in about whatever it is that I am missing. Thanks!

-Joe (long time lurker, first time poster)
..................Most rifle stocks, will always have some form of dislike by someone.

I also have the 375 Ruger Alaskan and same as you, the Hogue stock is ok with me. The problem I think primarily lies with people who have smaller hands. The pistol grip and fore-end are oversized. Some also don`t like the eraser or rubbery feel to the Hogue stocks. I look at that as an asset in very wet weather.

The Ruger Alaskans weren`t designed to win any rifle beauty contests. They are designed for extreme abuse, where dings, dents, scratching and wood warping need not be worried about when on hunts in adverse weather conditions going from one weather extreme to the other.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

The fix to the Houge problem is fairly easy.
[Linked Image]

And the African wood stock can be replaced as well.
[Linked Image]

BTW this African is a 404 Ruger not a 416. There are a few of us wildcatters still left.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Idahoguy,
I have built 416 Rugers on 98 Mauser actions..Also on the 1909 some are soft and some are not, most of the Waffenfabrick are good to go as is. Its pretty easy to test them and see if they are hard...and its not a bad idea to have Mauser actions softened, then do your metal work, then have them brought back up to specs as D'Arcy does, but Jack Belk says that's like painting a metal barn! smile smile..That hardening process will cost you about $50.00, so I figure it can't hurt....

I used a Milsurp Brno action on one .416 Ruger, and the other was on a FN comm. action. I didn't reheat treat either of them.

The 416 Ruger is not a high intensiy round like a 7 STW, WBY, or one of the big Remington cartridges..It is in the 375 H&H and 416 Rem class. I have no clue who at Buckhorn told you that but its somewhat mistated IMO...PSI is PSI anyway you cut it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

...and it will cost a lot more than that to butcher a nice standard length Mauser action to just almost accept a 416 Rigby.

I owned two Rigbys and have a 416 Ruger presently. I won't be going backward! laugh

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I agree with Mule Deer on pressure problems with the .416 Rem.. Its all BS and the guy that said they had pressure problems with the .416 Rem. is one of those know it alls that always has something like that to put in print about any caliber..He is from across the pond...He thinks Africa has an exclusive on hot weather, guess he has never been to West Texas, Arizona, New Mexico or the California border where temps hit the 130 mark on ocassion..

I am certain that his problems were hot handloads but he started a rumor, that has been around awhile and without merit..I have loaded the hell out of my .416 Remingtons just to find where the hot loads were and found it no different than the .375 H&H, the 300 H&H, no surprise here as its basically the same case, but keep in mind that the bigger the mouth on the case the less pressure that case will build and the .416 is larger than the 300 and the 375, again go figure.

I shot a lot of that early Remington factory ammo that some claimed was hot. I also chronograped it, it ran out at not quite 2300 FPS in my 26 inch tube?? go figure!!...The hottest Rem ammo I shot was the swift 400 gr. bullet load and it clocked right at 2400 FPS but not quite..I laid 5 rounds on the hood of my truck in Texas (112 degree weather) for 3 hours and shot it as fast as I could, not a problem, and it passed through the chronograph at 2447 av. for the 5 shots..It got a tad hotter with each consecutive shot as I recall, but as you can see not a heck of a lot faster....

I challange these reports and suggest that anyone that believes them, do the tests.

Last edited by atkinsonhunting; 08/25/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

My best guess is that if anybody today experiences extraction difficulties with the .416 Remington then the problem is either due to poor rifle maintenance or too-hot handloads.

Cummon JB! smirk Everyone knows you always fill'em to the top and grease'em good outside before you go Nimrodding...

I can get 9 for 10 to stick at room temperature in a 416 Rem. I catch HLL from the old lady for shooting holes in the walls and floors, however. crazy

N
N
bigsqueeze said, "The problem I think primarily lies with people who have smaller hands. The pistol grip and fore-end are oversized."

Careful 'squeeze...you might as well tell folks that they have a small cockadoodledo! ;-)

Wildcatter: I know the fix is easy...but what needs fix'n?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
bigsqueeze said, "The problem I think primarily lies with people who have smaller hands. The pistol grip and fore-end are oversized."

Careful 'squeeze...you might as well tell folks that they have a small cockadoodledo! ;-)

.......................................Very funny! Some people automatically assume that those with smaller hands, have smaller bodily parts in other certain areas? Smaller hands can be an issue with the Hogues. However, should other bodily parts be undersized, I`m sure they`ll be able to figure that one out for themselves........... laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been a while, but I'm still waiting for Ruger to 'introduce' the 416 African, complete with a 23" bbl and wood stock. Fortunately, I haven't held my breathe . . .

Earlier today, I ran across a M70 Classic (CRF) that was chambered for the 416 Taylor. Gave some consideration to buying it and rechambering to 416 Ruger, but decided some research was in order.

From my little research and appears do-able, though there may need to be about ~.220" set-back. The belt dia on the Taylor is .532, whereas the same area is .530 on the Ruger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey WiFowler - recently gave Mike Fifer another nudge about the .416 Ruger "African", thru the website "voice of the customer". No response back yet. I keep trying...the new M70 Winchester looks good but .416 Remington brass seems very difficult to come by. Santa may end up bringing me a phaser instead this year - LOL. Homesteader.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I 'nudge' Mike Fifer about once a week. But, like you I haven't had a response since my first scribe on the 'voice of the customer' some months ago.

I too have had a look at the M70 416 Rem, but not being a fan of the needless belt, on a belted magnum, I've put off any serious consideration.

Never know what Santa will bring - maybe a Pac-Nor .416 barrel to be fit to the action of my choice. But then again, maybe Fifer will give way and have a 'special run' of 416 Africans! Wonder if we could prod Boddington or Lipsey's into a conversation with Mr. Fifer?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WiFowler - maybe our "nudges" need to be about baseball bat size...this wishlist/thread is now roughly 8 months old.

Mike Fifer / RUGER CEO - make the .416 Ruger African a "special run" this year and I'll catch either Rudolph or Santa (your choice) for you. At this rate, waiting much longer, I'll have to get a 4X4 walker! Regards, Homesteader

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Whether or not a 416 Ruger reamer will clean up a 416 Taylor chamber depends on the size specs of the Ruger reamer AFTER it is ground and what the actual measurements of the Taylor chamber is now, so you would have to buy the rifle, pull the barrel, measure the belt, THEN order a reamer....but all this also depends on the actual brass you will be using and whether or not a couple thou at the chamber end will give you road rash...the rest is just conjecture.

Besides you don't know what the throat is like on the Taylor...I wouldn't waste money on a rechamber for sure, as a McGowen barrel would run you less than $200 bucks, reamer rental is about $50 bucks or ANY good 'smith would do the job for $350 including barrel...or at least some will.

I was in the process of builing a Taylor just before the 416 Ruger was announced, but had the chamber already cut and there isn't enough additional thump to warrent rechambering it to the Ruger. I get the same performance as the original 416 Rigby so what's not to like. Everything I pointed at died very quickly.

In any event, unless you can do the work yourself, buying new would be cheaper in the long run, and if you don't like the Hogue I'll bet there are many that would take it off your hands for the price of a wood or synthetic stock. Way too many if's, and's or but's running through this thread....just do it or don't.

Luck

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NFG - thanks for the info on the 416 Taylor and your experiences. Better to start fresh in this case.

The fortunate thing for me is that I can do my own threading, chambering and crowning. That said, I'm more than likely going to head that direction and build the .416 Ruger on a M700 action that I have.

FWIW, I emailed Mike Fifer last night and received a response at 6:43am today.

"Dear Mr. xxxxxxx,

The status is still the same.

Best regards,
Mike Fifer"

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My guess? The .416 Ruger is the big bore of the future..If I didn't have 3000 rounds of loaded .416 Rem. I would be a 416 Ruger lover boy! smile

It's a great case design, it can talk the talk and walk the walk IMO..It can be wildcatted up and down and to both sides, It is small of size and big on performance, its the Little Big Man of gundome, it's got to be a winner.

I have built ands shot several of them, only thing is they all sold before I could shoot big stuff with them but hey I KNOW what a 400 gr. bullet will do at 2400 FPS and that is kill anything on this planet and do it with ease IMO.

I see no downside to the .416 or .375 Ruger......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atkinsonhunting
My guess? The .416 Ruger is the big bore of the future..If I didn't have 3000 rounds of loaded .416 Rem. I would be a 416 Ruger lover boy! smile

It's a great case design, it can talk the talk and walk the walk IMO..It can be wildcatted up and down and to both sides, It is small of size and big on performance, its the Little Big Man of gundome, it's got to be a winner.

I have built ands shot several of them, only thing is they all sold before I could shoot big stuff with them but hey I KNOW what a 400 gr. bullet will do at 2400 FPS and that is kill anything on this planet and do it with ease IMO.

Agree 100%.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ray - concerning your post: seems the more enlightened members around the 'fire agree on the virtures of the .416 Ruger. Especially on the "African" bolt action platform...so why are the Marketing, Sales and senior management at Ruger HQ slow on the uptake here?

Mike Fifer/ Ruger CEO - please consider this another friendly nudge. Regards, Homesteader

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For some reason or another, I really don't get the feeling that Mr.Fifer/Ruger CEO cares about our 'nudges', nor do I think he reads these threads (even though the link(s) have been forwarded to him.)

That said, I've pretty much given up on Mike and Ruger. A .416 barrel is currently indicated in the lathe; the threading and counter-bore done to mate it to a M700 L/A Mag. Chambering will be done on Tues eve as that's when the Brown Truck is supposed to show up with the reamer and headspace gage from Dave Kiff and PTG.

The quandary will then be, what to stock it with. Got a CDL that would look nice, but not sure that it will handle the recoil or the #5 barrel contour. Could go with a B&C Medalist with the alum. block which I also have, or an Accurate Innovations (big $$$).

N
N
"but hey I KNOW what a 400 gr. bullet will do at 2400 FPS and that is kill anything on this planet and do it with ease IMO."

I see no downside to the .416 or .375 Ruger...... [/quote]

Agree 100%.[/quote]

I hope this won't be considered hijacking this thread, but this seems like a relevant question/topic to me at this point in the discussion:

416 Ruger vs 375 Ruger...yes, I can do the math, but in your opinions, with well constructed bullets for the task at hand, what will a 416 Ruger with a 400 grain bullet @ 2400 fps do better than a 375 Ruger's 300 gr bullet at 2650, really?

I see the extreme example of full-on solids on Elephants where the hole doesn't get bigger - but what's next on the list? Cape Buff?

With better sectional density and properly chosen, controlled expansion, bullets it seems to me that the penetration and wound channel through the animal are going to be *pretty* similar.

Am I completely off the reservation on this?

Thanks, look forward to reading the replies!

-Joe

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
"but hey I KNOW what a 400 gr. bullet will do at 2400 FPS and that is kill anything on this planet and do it with ease IMO."

Agree 100%.[/quote]

I hope this won't be considered hijacking this thread, but this seems like a relevant question/topic to me at this point in the discussion:

416 Ruger vs 375 Ruger...yes, I can do the math, but in your opinions, with well constructed bullets for the task at hand, what will a 416 Ruger with a 400 grain bullet @ 2400 fps do better than a 375 Ruger's 300 gr bullet at 2650, really?

I see the extreme example of full-on solids on Elephants where the hole doesn't get bigger - but what's next on the list? Cape Buff?

With better sectional density and properly chosen, controlled expansion, bullets it seems to me that the penetration and wound channel through the animal are going to be *pretty* similar.

Am I completely off the reservation on this?

Thanks, look forward to reading the replies!

-Joe [/quote]...............No, not really. You`re not off the reservation imo. A well placed shot, and of course "using the proper" 300 gr bullet for the game hunted, from a either a 375 H&H or from a 375 Ruger, will dispatch any caped buffalo or elephant.

The 416 for many, adds more emotional assurances or insurance when hunting the big stuff.

I`ll put my .375 Ruger up against any game on the planet.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

The only real issue is that it has a complete POS stock, which no one who I've ever taalked to in Alaska has kept, on the short-barrelled version. It's a target-model Hogue, and Ruger has never put anything on any of their rifles that was worse-designed and implemented than that one. There is one guy in North America who propelles it constantly, so I guess he's having a major influence on Ruger... whistle.

Putting a good stock on a Ruger isn't that hard nor is it that expensive, so it's not that big a deal. Just a thing to know.

Dennis

Dennis what would you think if Ruger put that 416 in their laminated stock with checkering? I'm thinking that would be a home run. JMO I heard a rumor.....

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Fine cartridge but if you want a 416 there is only one...the headstamp says "Rigby".

.243 .416 Rigby (Yes Virginia it IS big) 9.3x62 .275 Rigby

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Tophet1; 09/07/10.
N
N
Dennis what would you think if Ruger put that 416 in their laminated stock with checkering? I'm thinking that would be a home run. JMO I heard a rumor.....[/quote]

How sound is that rumor?

-Joe

N
N
]...............No, not really. You`re not off the reservation imo. A well placed shot, and of course "using the proper" 300 gr bullet for the game hunted, from a either a 375 H&H or from a 375 Ruger, will dispatch any caped buffalo or elephant.

The 416 for many, adds more emotional assurances or insurance when hunting the big stuff.

I`ll put my .375 Ruger up against any game on the planet.[/quote]

Thank for that Squeeze...while sometimes over thought, obviously good bullet selection is important.

Your response also helps reinforce for me that the .375 African minimum isn't entirely off base. I have read a great deal about needing to punch a hole .4" or larger in the heart of Cape Buffalo to ensure it will bleed out swiftly.

Killing game is alway very subjective - no two animals have ever been shot in exactly the same way, so it is VERY anecdotal, too!

This is why when folks say things like " I once shot a ____ and this happened, so now I never use _____" I instantly go into 'disregard' mode! ;-)

-Joe

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Dennis what would you think if Ruger put that 416 in their laminated stock with checkering? I'm thinking that would be a home run. JMO I heard a rumor.....

How sound is that rumor?

-Joe [/quote]

Anyone that likes the idea should send the encouragement to Randall Pence, Director of Marketing. He's the one that asked what I thought about it. I told him the biggest problem with those stocks was most didn't have checkering which made them too slick. He agreed and said checkering was necessary. They are talking about it. I personally think it's a great idea.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
]...............No, not really. You`re not off the reservation imo. A well placed shot, and of course "using the proper" 300 gr bullet for the game hunted, from a either a 375 H&H or from a 375 Ruger, will dispatch any caped buffalo or elephant.

I`ll put my .375 Ruger up against any game on the planet.

Thank for that Squeeze...while sometimes over thought, obviously good bullet selection is important.

Your response also helps reinforce for me that the .375 African minimum isn't entirely off base. I have read a great deal about needing to punch a hole .4" or larger in the heart of Cape Buffalo to ensure it will bleed out swiftly.

Killing game is alway very subjective - no two animals have ever been shot in exactly the same way, so it is VERY anecdotal, too!

This is why when folks say things like " I once shot a ____ and this happened, so now I never use _____" I instantly go into 'disregard' mode! ;-)

-Joe [/quote]........NoOrdJoe.............Interestingly, I bought my 375 Ruger Alaskan to use primarily here on the N/A continent hunting trophy bison, big bears and maybe a moose or two, but not originally for use in Africa. I`ll get over there someday with my Ruger Alaskan.

But, for a one and do-all caliber for Africa? Whether one favors the RUM, Wby, H&H, or the Ruger round, there`s no better single all-around caliber for Africa than the 375.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

How sound is that rumor?

-Joe

Unless you heard it directly from Mike Fifer or have seen the above in person, on a gun rack, for sale, it's exactly that - a RUMOR.

Rumint (Rumor Intelligence) is what the firearms industry thrives on. Pimp everything in a mag/rag/TV show/SHOT Show/etc, build the hype, and then sit back while the product trickles to market.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WiFowler - Now you've gone an burst my bubble... Ruger, Remington, Winchester out 'pimping' their wares...OMG. At least on the street corner you can see what your buying (or not!). Next thing you'll tell me is there is NO Santa... Regards, Homesteader.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I am a fan of the .375 caliber and I shoot a 375 H&H, and the .416 Rem. as well as the 404 and 450-400. The Ruger versions or the 375 or 416 are just as good IMO..

I also know the .416 is a better killer than the .375 in any of its forms and it becomes obvious as one uses both..That said, I believe the 375 is sufficient for all DG.

I personally prefer the .416 over the .375 for any application. If push came to shove then I would make my choice based on recoil between the two..If the recoil of the .416 didn't bother me then I would choose the .416, otherwise I would opt for a .375 and go about my business..I still use both based on no particular reasoning.

Keep in mind that a 300 or 350 gr. 416 shoots as flat as anything the .375 has to offer and has the advantage of bore size and bullet weight on the heavy bullet side.

For the NA continient, the .375 is probably the better choice for most..Both will serve you well in any case.

This caliber thing is somewhat over rated IMO, at least within reason. Bullet construction and bullet placement play a much bigger role than caliber. Comparing these two is a prime example of that.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The only question I have is why didn't ruger chamber the new .416 in the african? Less competitive market with the Alaskan? I would of had a .416 african already if they had chambered it. I don't want the Alaskan.

"I didn't get these scars falling over in church"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Iron
The only question I have is why didn't ruger chamber the new .416 in the african? Less competitive market with the Alaskan? I would of had a .416 african already if they had chambered it. I don't want the Alaskan.

Same question I, along with others, have had for some time.

Got frustrated enough that I built one on a Rem 700 action, though I wish I'd had a M70 CRF to build it off of (which I may still do).

I'm hoping that Mike Fifer or one of his 'designated hitters' is at the SCI Convention. I fully intend to ask them face-to-face what the issue is with the .416 African and see which 'story' I get for a reply.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WiFowler - glad to see the saga of the .416 Ruger "AFRICAN" is still alive and well. OORAH! Glad to see your M700 build is, well, built. Maybe...just maybe Santa Ruger will have good news for all good 'lil boys an girls lusting for a .416 Ruger African for 2011.
FYI - I'm sure you've seen that a 9.3mm African is in the works. Saw SKU 37113 on Lipsey's site. If they do that one then the .416 is a distinct possibility. Regards, Homesteader.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Homesteader, I saw the various 'hints' of the 9.3 and my fist thought was 'you rotten SOBs' (or something along that line), and followed up with comment on the Ruger Ask the CEO web site.

While it may fill a 'gap' somewhere along the line, the 9.3mm is a .366 cal - not a .416. IMHO, Ruger took the 'easy' route to declare another African model rather that putting their collective noses to the grindstone and correcting the stock issue on their .416. It's not rocket science.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

I really like the 416 Ruger and in the old canoe paddle stock it makes a compact, rugged, light, lively and lethal package.

As good as the 416 Rigby is, it's legend and lore far exceeds it's actual use. I don't have any statistics but would bet that Ruger has already sold more of it's 416's in two years than Rigby has sold of it's 416 in the past hundred years.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458Win
[Linked Image]

I really like the 416 Ruger and in the old canoe paddle stock it makes a compact, rugged, light, lively and lethal package.

As good as the 416 Rigby is, it's legend and lore far exceeds it's actual use. I don't have any statistics but would bet that Ruger has already sold more of it's 416's in two years than Rigby has sold of it's 416 in the past hundred years.

Nice rifles there 458. I have a question though: How does the 416 ruger compare to the 458 win? I've been trying to make up my mind on which one I'd rather have. Thanks, bsa.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the 416 Ruger had been available when I built my 458 it is what I would have chosen. Now that I am so familiar with my 458 as a backup rifle and also have numerous 375's I really have no particular use for the 416 Ruger -- except that it is an excellent cartridge in an excellent rifle.
I do feel the 458 Win makes a bit better stopper - and the 416 is a bit more versatile.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Phil do they come from the factory with the boat paddle stock?Or that newer synthetic like the 375 Alaskan?

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I think the boat paddle is a consumer added option.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[IMG]I really like the 416 Ruger and in the old canoe paddle stock it makes a compact, rugged, light, lively and lethal package.

I'm starting to see a trend maybe. The only time I went to Alaska for brown bear, my guide out of Trapper Creek was toting a 338 Win Mag in a Ruger canoe paddle stock. He swore by it for the same reasons.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
utah: Thanks! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BobInNH - there maybe another reason the "boat paddle" stock style is so popular with Alaskan guides. Has more to do with function then making the rifle lively as Phil mentions. Think boat...engine quits miles away from camp, forgot the extra paddles. "Row, row, row your boat..." LOL Regards from warm sunny Florida (just had to do that Phil...) Homesteader.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Homesteader....they like those stocks up there. grin

They are tough!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BobinNH -I believe you as they must have other "redeeming" features going for them besides their lack of cosmetic appeal. Sort of like the barmaids at Octoberfest...may not be the prettiest BUT can sure haul those big beer mugs! Regards, Homesteader.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
.............Ruger won`t chamber the 416 Ruger in the African version until it first solves all the stock cracking issues with the 375 Ruger African. Up to this point, I dont know if Ruger has completely solved the cracking issues.

Though sooner or later, we`ll see the 416 Ruger chambered in the African.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I'll go out on a limb and say that the .416 Weatherby would give you all the oooomph that you need. grin
whelennut

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
.............Ruger won`t chamber the 416 Ruger in the African version until it first solves all the stock cracking issues with the 375 Ruger African. Up to this point, I dont know if Ruger has completely solved the cracking issues.

Though sooner or later, we`ll see the 416 Ruger chambered in the African.

I am wondering if their recoil lug design means that cracking cannot be entirely eliminated. I am not sure old Bill had a .416 in mind when he came up with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by utah708
I am wondering if their recoil lug design means that cracking cannot be entirely eliminated. I am not sure old Bill had a .416 in mind when he came up with it.

You know, I had the very same thought. But then I regrouped a bit. The recoil lug on the Hawkeye African is no different than the recoil lug on the M77 RSM - the RSM being chambered in such calibers as the 375H&, 416 Rigby, and so on. The difference is that the RSM has a beefier stock and employs a second recoil lug on the barrel. Maybe Ruger should consider a barrel lug on the Hawkeye as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The small recoil lug on M-77's is an issue with larger calibers and since Ruger chose to retain it even on their magnum action makes me think they are not likely to change it. Their choice to use a steel hanger on the larger calibers works OK and I imagine they will either do something like that on the 416 Ruger or else use a stock with a metal bedding block.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have an old version of the RSM in 416 Rigby (24" barrel and no barrel band) with the metal hanger as Phil describes. I too was worried about stock cracking as there were a few stories out there. I had the steel block glass bedded and have had no issues and that was in 1993(?). Anyhow two trips to Africa and two buff with no problems. Ruger knows what they are doing and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ruger knows what they are doing and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm not so sure about that Jorge. How long has the 375 African been out, and they still have issues with cracked stocks, let alone manage a wood stock on the .416 Ruger? I'm left with more than a hint of doubt.

Their choice to use a steel hanger on the larger calibers works OK and I imagine they will either do something like that on the 416 Ruger or else use a stock with a metal bedding block.

A metal bedding block would certainly help. However the down side is cost. Unless Ruger stikes a helluva deal with someplace like Accurate Innovations, a wood stock with a metal bedding block is probably not in the future.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Would some steel bedding plus crossbolts help prevent the wood stocks from breaking?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steel bedding and a crossbolt fixed my son's 375 and kept it from splitting. I even dropped the 416 in it an fired it a box or so from the bench and it held up to that but I would prefer a bigger bite from the lug.
It would not be hard or expensive for Ruger to add a metal hanger to the stocks they already have.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whelen nut, it will not only give you the ummmmmmph but wear your frigging arms out from totting that heavy arse rifle with muzzle brake on the end. The new one I shouldered at the gunstore was something like 12 pounds.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the 416 Ruger had been available when I built my 458 it is what I would have chosen. Now that I am so familiar with my 458 as a backup rifle and also have numerous 375's I really have no particular use for the 416 Ruger -- except that it is an excellent cartridge in an excellent rifle.
I do feel the 458 Win makes a bit better stopper - and the 416 is a bit more versatile.

How much lighter is the old stock than the one that comes on the Alaskan?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The older stock is about half a pound lighter than the Hogue but of more importance it balances better and places the weight more up front and is slimmer around the action and carries easier. The old canoe paddle stocks are also tougher than a woodpecker's lips.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Tonk,
My friend had a .378 Weatherby on a Schultz and Larsen action with 2 mercury recoil reducers in the stock and a muzzle brake.
His friends goaded him into it at a gunshow. He couldn't sell it fast enough after he had fired it! grin
whelennut

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
get the ultimate 416 . The Weatherby!

Here is mine

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

100 yard 3 shot group 330 GS customs

[Linked Image]

Hunting story!
http://gsgroup.co.za/fotis.html

300 TSX and 330 GS Custom loaded

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/378fan/SV101178.jpg[/img][/quote]

Last edited by Fotis; 12/04/10.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Fotis
get the ultimate 416 . The Weatherby!

... or get the most practical. Either in factory 416 Ruger, or better yet in the 'new classical' wildcat 404 Ruger (0.423" diameter bullet).
[Linked Image]

The 404 works on big critters.
[Linked Image]

and it's pretty easy to make. That's a 400 gn Barnes Banded Solid on the right, though the one that dropped this buff was the Swift 400 gn AF in 0.423" (left) at 2330 fps. Pretty definitive punch in a small package
[Linked Image]

and in a neat rifle - the Ruger African
[Linked Image]

It'll tackle anything I'm willing to take on with a medium bore and in a pinch with a monolithic solid it's on the lower end of "enough gun" for elephant.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone loaded the Barnes 350gr TSX in the .416 Ruger? If so what did you end up with for a COAL? Just wondering if my next .416 build should be on a M70 H&H length action v a standard mag length action.
Preferred loads with the 350 TSX?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Anyone loaded the Barnes 350gr TSX in the .416 Ruger? If so what did you end up with for a COAL? Just wondering if my next .416 build should be on a M70 H&H length action v a standard mag length action.

Old Thread ressurrection....

Barnes introduced the 350gr "Tipped" TSX this year in .416 caliber. I think this will be THE bullet I'm going to load in my 416 Alaskan to about 2550fps. Using an online ballistic calculator... When this load is zeroed at 30yds, it's about 1.5" high at 100, crosses zero again at about 170yds, is about 1.5" low at 200, about 6" low at 250 and almost 12" low at 300 (the longest I could see "myself" ever "needing" to shoot at any breathing critter). Easy as pie to remember the drop (once confirmed with proof at the range) and plenty of hammer for EVERYTHING except maybe charging elephant (and even then...maybe). I TRUST my .458Lott and LOVE to carry and use my .358Win but if I could only keep one, this Alaskan rifle could be my "all around" big game gun for the rest of my life.

Here's to having the RIGHT to keep and use multiple cartridges and different launching platforms!!!

Stump

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'll bet that if Elmer Keith was still alive and hunting elk, he would have one of these. Very similar to his .400 Whelen if you ask me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
EXACTLY!!! After reading every book I could lay my hands on about rifles for Jackrabbits to Elephant (including Keith, O'connor, Taylor, Aagard, Wieland, Boddington and others including folks I consider experts on this forum and others), theories on bullet weight vs. velocity vs. construction vs. external ballistics vs. BC's/SD's vs. rifle design vs. old/new bullet construction vs powders vs you name it... I think Elmer would be VERY happy with this set-up for anything deer sized and up. In fact I tend to lean towards Elmer's views myself (except for the continuous discussions about extreme raking shots through the guts to get to the vitals). Between Keith, Aagard, Wieland and O'Connor, the magic velocity seems anywhere between 2400fps for the heavy's and 2700 fps for lighter bullets of yesterday. Since I can compromise a little here and bullet design has improved so much (see seattlesetters excellent post here... https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...rnes_TSX_TTSX_Changing_the_G#Post4923737), I shot for the dead center of these two speeds and between the extreme bullet weights. I think if I put the effort into the hunt and shot only as far as "I" can confidently shoot, this rifle and cartridge combo would suit me just fine if I could only have "One" centerfire for big game. Would it be a bit much for coyotes and Jack's? You bet, but it sure would be fun using it while chasing 'em!

I originally picked up this rifle for a potential job backing up bowhunting client's in the Northern Territory after buffalo. That hasn't panned out, but with another trip scheduled for Africa this year, it was an excuse to play around with the rifle again. Unfortunately, the rifle was an early Alaskan that had feeding issues and had to be sent back to Ruger (That could have been bad in Australia huh?), and Ruger decided to destroy the one I sent back and build me another. I should have it in the next 3-4 months. If it takes 4 months to get back to me, I'll just take my 458 and 358 again and be just as happy!!!

Thanks for listening to my ramblinng on, just saw the last post above my initial post and it got me typing.

Hope you all find your "All-Round" rifle....and if you don't...hope you have fun searching and never find it!!!

Stump

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since it seems ruger is not coming out with a wood version what do you guys think about turning a 375 ruger african into a 416 ruger. The stock would need to bo properly bedded but I'm sure a good smith could accomplish it. What do you guys think?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
gunchamp...with good solid bedding, a little relief of the tang area and maybe a couple cross bolts and a wrist bolt, I think it's been done successfully (I think I even saw a post on here somewhere). A good smith should be able to do it for you.

Accurate Innovations might make you up one too with a full aluminum bed, but they had no-so-great communication and took forever to get me a stock when I ordered one a few years ago. Things may have changed, I don't know.

Good Luck to ya,

Stump

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It'll need significant reinforcement, beyond just glass bedding. I split my African stock in less than 20 shots, after replacing my 404 Ruger barreled action in it. The ballistics of the 404 Ruger are equivalent to the 416 Ruger (a 0.423" 400 grain bullet at 2350 fps), so I would expect the effect on the African stock may well be similar.

The stock has now been repaired with a steel wrist pin as well as steel pin reinforcement of the area around the tang and magazine well. I haven't shot it yet with the reinforced repair in place but will do so in the next couple of weeks and report results.

BTW, the African stock had been properly glass bedded by an experienced GS and had close to 300 rounds of full-load 300 grain 0.375" bullets through it without a hitch before being re-bored to 0.423" and split by the considerably greater recoil of the 400 grain bullets.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe I'll get one in a cz 550 instead. Dont want to have to worry about stock issues. Thanks guys.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No offense intended, but if the stock was bedded for your 404 without any reinforcements, it wasn't properly bedded IMO. Any good smith experienced with big bores can eyeball the thin web area on an African stock and clearly see it would need more than mere bedding of the recoil lug mortise and the tang to reduce the likelihood of a stock split above 375 recoil. CZ had the same troubles before they started reinforcing their stocks and they had more meat than this lighter Ruger. Shoemaker, as an example, did an African correctly, and he tested his bedding job on this African with full house loads from his 416Ruger, it held up. I also did mine correctly, and it held up well with no signs of splitting.

Bed that thing like a big bore, it does not take much more effort to add the needed reinforcements. It is a simple piece of cake to greatly stengthen the wrist and web between the mortises. If your gunsmith claims it is not needed on a factory Ruger wood stock big bore, fire him. It would be impossible to guarantee that such a stock would never break if done correctly, but it is almost a sure fire guarantee that it will split to varying degrees if it is not done correctly. There is ample Empirical data on the mkII wood Ruger stocks going way back to the days we were converting them to 375 Chatfield-Taylors and 416/338s. They hardly stand a chance without reinforcements.

Good Luck smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
N
N

Tah-Dah....2 years later, but now available!

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
does the ruger case lend itself to being necked up to 458?

The way life should be.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/52...458-acc-rel-accurate-reloading-box-of-20

More or less the same idea as the Ruger up to 458 cal.

T
TJS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What Fotis said " The Ultimate .416 = Weatherby"!!!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Stump Buster

Old Thread ressurrection....

Barnes introduced the 350gr "Tipped" TSX this year in .416 caliber. I think this will be THE bullet I'm going to load in my 416 Alaskan to about 2550fps. Using an online ballistic calculator... When this load is zeroed at 30yds, it's about 1.5" high at 100, crosses zero again at about 170yds, is about 1.5" low at 200, about 6" low at 250 and almost 12" low at 300 (the longest I could see "myself" ever "needing" to shoot at any breathing critter). Easy as pie to remember the drop (once confirmed with proof at the range) and plenty of hammer for EVERYTHING except maybe charging elephant (and even then...maybe). I TRUST my .458Lott and LOVE to carry and use my .358Win but if I could only keep one, this Alaskan rifle could be my "all around" big game gun for the rest of my life.

Here's to having the RIGHT to keep and use multiple cartridges and different launching platforms!!!

Stump
Just be sure to load you magazine full with those tipped TSX and then shoot them in your rifle. When I used those bullets in my CZ 416 rigby, it broke the tips off on the next cartridge under the bolt and jammed my rifle because the tip lodged in the action. Not something you want on a hunt.
It may or may not happen to you, but I suggest everyone that is thinking about this bullet load their magazines full and test it.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,487 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,943
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.