Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by whelennut
bigsqueeze,
Call me doubting Thomas. Every time a manufacturing company finds a way to do something cheaper they will do it if it saves them a nickel on each one, and they run a lot of 1,000 pcs.
Somebody will be patting themself on the back, you can be sure.
If it saves them money then it is somehow a benefit to the consumer according to their marketing department. I guess I am getting old and cynical. crazy
I haven't seen any major improvements over the original 98 Mauser except for the quality of the steel.
whelennut
............I will call U a doubting Thomas then, and respectfully disagree!! LOL!!

Sure! Everyone wants to save a buck! It`s not that they are deliberately trying to make things cheaper, as Ruger makes the longer magnum actions too. Shorter actioned rifles simply take a little less raw material to manufacture than will the longer actions.

It`s not a matter of making them cheaper, it is a matter of supplying rifles to the shooting public which chamber the shorter rounds of 30-06 lengths and less; the WSMs, SAUMs, RCMs etc from Remington, Browning, Ruger, Kimber and from a few others.

Just because the actions are shorter, does not mean they are cheaply built!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by atkinson
Ryan,
The 404 has nothing over the 416 Rem., Ruger, Rigby..all the same balistically..The 404 has ombiance and nostalgic properties and that's important to some..I love the 404 btw..

I shoot a 416 Rem mostly and because its the most practical and I have so much ammo stowed away for it..

I have owned and built a few 416 Rigbys and 404 Jefferys on standard actions but was never quite satisfied with them, they fed 100 percent, but not 110 percent if you know what I mean...I know Rigby made a few of them also...

The best 416 Rigbys and 404 Jefferys rifles I have owned and built were on the big Obendorf Mauser actions (mod. 20s) they all fed 115 percent, had plenty of room. The one exception was an original 404 Jefferys on a std. Mauser action, and it was a dilly...Also the old FNs were nice but only held two down and one in the chamber. I did see one that held 3 down for some reason. Lots of these still in the Tanzania Game Dept, but mostly in junk condition. I also saw some awesome British sporting rifles, FNs in all calibers in a Govt. warehouse in Mozambique and I tried to work a deal to buy them and import them but to no avail..Hundreds of them were stored there, and later destroyed I am told..

I was going to build a Ruger but ended up with a CZ Rigby which I sent to AHR for a new stock and such. I like the nostalgia of it. I can see that too with the 404J but what I don't understand is the 404 Ruger. If it isn't a cartridge with a history I figure it might as well use common bullets so it's cheap to shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RyanScott
I was going to build a Ruger but ended up with a CZ Rigby which I sent to AHR for a new stock and such. I like the nostalgia of it. I can see that too with the 404J but what I don't understand is the 404 Ruger. If it isn't a cartridge with a history I figure it might as well use common bullets so it's cheap to shoot.

And I like the idea of having something outside the standard that works nicely -- the .404 Ruger being such an animal. In today's world it's really not very costly to have such a thing built and to handload for it. It would plain and simple be fun, and that's pretty much all it needs to take. Doesn't have to fit anyone else's opinion to work nicely.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As muledeer points out, total work to turn a 375 Ruger into a 404 Ruger is a re-bore. Done by none other than Danny Pedersen of Classic Barrel Works, it runs a whooping $350. An exotic wildcat with proven ballistics, for a song. BTW, this is what $3.00 worth of those uncommon 0.423" bullets do best
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The buff taking 2 shots ran up the tab a bit.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And you're the living proof of my point... smile.

Thanks for making my point with reality and actual accomplishments. Pretty cool...

Dennis

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I paid less for my CZ 550 Magnum in 416 than the prices I see for Rugers, and don't see how the heck it is any less functional than a Ruger would be. Plus I could always make a 460 Rigby out of it, but how good is a 45 Ruger going to be?

In the end - the game wont know the difference, but the Ruger has its faults, its too short, lacks a belt, the action lacks mass to absorb recoil, and the name is kind of dorky - LOL

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
BTW, this is what an actual 45 Ruger looks like

[Linked Image]

And lest we forget, it looks this way because when Thor needed a hammer he went to a blacksmith named Jack Lott. smile

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice critters with the .404 cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
I paid less for my CZ 550 Magnum in 416 than the prices I see for Rugers, and don't see how the heck it is any less functional than a Ruger would be. Plus I could always make a 460 Rigby out of it, but how good is a 45 Ruger going to be?

In the end - the game wont know the difference, but the Ruger has its faults, its too short, lacks a belt, the action lacks mass to absorb recoil, and the name is kind of dorky - LOL

Not sure how you managed to pay less for a CZ 550 Magnum than a Ruger 77, but congratulations. Given that I can buy a .375 Ruger Hawkeye suitable for conversion to .404 Ruger for about $800, I don't think the CZ is the right approach.

In response to your "dislikes" -- the .416 is too long; I despise belted cartridges as the 100-year-old attempt to solve a problem than hasn't existed for 99 years; the action mass isn't what solves recoil issues; and the Ruger is plenty big enough; and having met Mr Ruger, I don't look down on his name.

No offense intended -- just a complete disagreement on points.

Dennis

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lets see........just ordered a left hand stainless Ruger in 300 Win Mag with the laminate stock for approximately $525 including shipping and transfer fees.
Add one Shilen stainless .416 match barrel for $200.
Smith will most likely charge me about $175-$200 to chamber it and screw it on and mount the Willams iron sights (maybe $60).
This gives me a custom lefty Ruger 416 for under $1K. Would be even cheaper if I could of purchased a right hand. Will most likely add a couple of pins in the stock and glass the action. If this isnt an ultimate brown bear back up rifle then I don't know what is:)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds great, but what will you be backing that brown bear up from?

smile

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Lets see........just ordered a left hand stainless Ruger in 300 Win Mag with the laminate stock for approximately $525 including shipping and transfer fees.

Is that price for a new or used rifle?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
New, delivered to Alaska
Have your dealer check with the big distributors. They are out there at these prices. Rumor has it the lefty SS's are being discontinued. Although I have not seen anything in writing from Ruger to this effect. My dealer said these cheap prices only applied to calibers 25-06 and 300 Win Mag when he ordered them.

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 01/02/10.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's my luck. I'm watching for a lefty SS 30-06 for my oldest.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Why does the Ruger 416 get the same velocity with a 20" barrel compared to the Rem.416 24"?

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Magic pixie dust.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I thought you could not buy the new powder to reload with only the ready made cartridge? How are people able to reload and get faster speed from there short barrels compared to Rem. .416?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because they have chronographs; they pay attention to discussion of various powder uses; they know what shows pressure issues; they call various factories and talk with a variety of them; and they test factory loads and know the difference between what is claimed and what happens.

I have yet to find the reality of the claims made, at least for the .338 Fed and .338 RCM, that handloaders can't match the factory loads. You do have to approach carefully and have a clue, and be willing to understand that it's really not very crucial if the best you can do is within 100 fps or so. But so far I'm not even having to deal with that.

Dennis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why would Ruger only see fit to bring its 416 to market in a #1, and the 20" Hawkeye Alaskan? Why not the Hawkeye African?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Why would Ruger only see fit to bring its 416 to market in a #1, and the 20" Hawkeye Alaskan? Why not the Hawkeye African?
............Stay tuned!!! They will!

But foist, they must solve the stock splitting issues periodically seen on the 375 Ruger Africans.

That`s the inside scoop!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1lessdog, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,930
Posts18,518,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.