Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3601061 12/23/09
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Other than your gun, what's your favorite (or most useful) piece of hunting equipment? The more uncommon the better....

I'm looking for ideas on things I might not have and/or might need...

Thanks in advance...

Remember: SAFETY FIRST................................................................................................then pull the trigger smile
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Baby Wipes

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not uncommon but I would rather forget my rifle than my Binoculars. I am constantly using them and if I dont have them I feel like I am missing out on seeing a lot of game. Dont leave home with out them. A good folding saw makes a lot of thing easier.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also need to add a camera of some sort. You always see something to take a picture of when you dont have a camera with you. 2008 elk hunt in colorado me and my partner walked up on two bull moose bedded down. We were within 30 yards of them for ten minutes and finally we just walked on. Neither of us had a camera it was probaly a once in a lifetime deal. Still wish we had dropped the hunt that night and went back to camp and got a camera.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I know a few guys that really like their mono/bi pods. They aren't for everyone but I suppose there's no arguing they can't help your aim if you have the time to deploy them.

Gotta have a good knife but you've probably got that one covered.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Also need to add a camera of some sort. You always see something to take a picture of when you dont have a camera with you. 2008 elk hunt in colorado me and my partner walked up on two bull moose bedded down. We were within 30 yards of them for ten minutes and finally we just walked on. Neither of us had a camera it was probaly a once in a lifetime deal. Still wish we had dropped the hunt that night and went back to camp and got a camera.

Good call on the camera and I should have mentioned that considering I just bought one myself. The waterproof/shockproof digital camera has been around for awhile but everything I ever read about them said you really compromised your picture quality for the ruggedness. Finally I ran across one, the Panasonic DMC-TS1, that is rated as wp/sp and takes decent pics. I can't comment much as I literally just bought the thing a couple days ago but I can say mine takes some pretty decent pictures and I don't feel I have to baby it.

One caveat; it is not specifically rated as "freezeproof" like some other cameras of the genre. That doesn't mean it can't actually handle cold but Panasonic didn't see to set a spec for subfreezing temps. After I get some real field work with it maybe I'll post more about it.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Camera that fits in a shirt pocket. That way it's always available. How about a small foam pad to sit on while glassing when the grounds cold. It helps me stay warm and to sit still longer. Lens cleaning kit for binos and glasses. Small flashlight that clips to the bill of your cap for hands free use. The most unusual item I carry on a regular basis is a slip cover for my rifle. I made it out of an old pair of lightweight canvas waders and barge cement. It's water proof, light and folds into a pretty small package. If I'm out and it starts raining or snowing wet heavy flakes, I slip it over my rifle. I can pull it off in a flash if I need to.

[Linked Image]
You never know when you'll need a camera handy!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Other than my bow or rifle and my binocs, I think my range finder and Sleeping Indian Jacket are the other two things I couldn't live without. Oh, and I do like having a "lens pen" with me too.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I always carry a silk scarf. Get a chill in the morning, wrap it around your neck, snow in the scope, and you have something smooth to wipe it out with.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Binocular, rifle or bow, lens pen, knife, folding bone saw, small tupperware jug (canteen) to refill with snow. After that, all I need is a couple of elk.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
That would be my Leica Geovid 10x42 rangefinder binoc.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A USGS map and a compass is something that I'm never without.

A good pair of gloves is another thing that I always want on hand.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would be the keys to my quads.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's up, Butthead??

grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
f/a yourself?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
hand saw.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Flintstone.

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
CumminsHunter: Because I Hunt so much on public lands here in the Rocky Mountains the one item I NEVER leave home without is my Leica Laser Rangefinder!
I am often in the need to make long shots at standing animals anymore.
The Leica 900's I use have helped me make some longer than I would normally feel comfortable with (without an exact range!).
I also Hunt Varmints year-round and this wonderful tool helps me immensely therein also.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like a cell phone. They don't work yet in VT but they do in most of CT. Its a safety factor for me.

I see a range finder mentioned above. I got one of the Leica's and I never use it. I loaned it to my buddy for VT and he gave it back. Pretty sure its in the knapsack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 57 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,622
Posts18,512,002
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.