Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Forager Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/stoveinstruct.html

A trip to the store to replace the 1/16" bit that's MIA, and a couple cans of Heineken (glad someone finally found a use for something to do with Heineken, though I'll suffer through the beverage.......... wink ), and I'll give this thing a go.

Some 91% Iso should be good enough for a test run.

Just curious as to whether anyone here has tried this idea yet.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Make sure you let us know if it works, looks like it should.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I have played with quite a few stoves but gave up and spent the $11 bucks on the stove sold by one of the guys here. Im sorry but cannot think of it off the top of my head. Honestly for $11 it was not worth trying to build a better mousetrap. Im sure someone will chime in with it shortly. I think the makers name was George.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

F
Forager Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
If you could remember who that was, it'd be appreciated.

FWIW, I scrounged a couple cans from the road side this evening, and quick/fast threw a very bad version together, just to see if it'd work.

It did. In fact, it worked well enough that I'll get a couple "decent" cans together tomorrow and try working up a version worth keeping.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes, I've made one of those, and it worked much better than I would have expected. A friend sent me another, better one that he made. I haven't taken one on an overnighter yet, but it will surely boil water quickly and weighs next to nothing.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
I think the makers name was George.

George is the owner of end2end trail supply. He makes the gram weenie and a few other stoves. Good stuff for sure!

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I used George's Thru-Hiker stove this past season while scouting and on 14 days of backpack hunting. Incredible stove; outrageously low price: https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/
George is very knowledgeable and just an all-around good guy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never understood the fascination with alchahol stoves.

Just a personal opinion of mine...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
F
Forager Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I checked out the end2endtrailsupply site. Wow!

Given my ability to make stuff, compared with the quality and very low price seen there, I think I'll send some cash to George in exchange for a stove or two or three of his, and use those. With those in hand, I think I'd have a better idea for building my own later, should I decide to do so.

Dan, the fascination with alcohol stoves is the extreme light weight, the performance, the ability to run on a myriad of fuels, and that fact that some of those fuels are in my grab-and-go bag (91% iso) regardless. I consider them an excellent back-up option, as they are very small, light, and easy to pack; as well as a great primary option for stashing in a truck, grab-and-go bag, etc.

Are there better stoves out there? Sure, but these little things fill a niche that needs to get filled for me at least. YMMV.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a homemade pop can stove for a year or so. It burned hot and quickly, but went through a fair amount of fuel. There was also no way to turn it off. I now use the mini trangia. Dead nuts reliable, sips the fuel, can turn it off whenever I want to, and really compact.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I bought one and am real happy with it.It works good at sea level and I used it at 6500'aprox.20 deg.and it worked well there to.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
My experience has been that most of the commercially built alcohol stoves that operate on pressure are better suited towards larger pots than I most often use.

I have whitebox, featherfire and cat can stoves and they all work well for different missions. I'm not much of a home tinker sort preferring to spend the $11 myself.

I own a few canister and white gas stoves but about 99% of the time I take a small nonpressurized alcohol stove. I've found it uses less fuel and when I'm solo a few extra minutes to heat water works out fine and I like the simplicity as well as the absolute silence while it burns.

I use a larger version of the tea light stove and a Heineken pot complete with elk hide patches glued on the the pot so I can handle it without gloves. Sounds corny but I own several Ti pots and mugs and this system works better and weighs less than all of them, "for heating water only solo use"

Last edited by olypen; 11/30/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Thats because you cook with cast iron laugh

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Gotta be able to spell it to use it!! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've made a few. They work well. Sanding out the raised numbers on the bottom of the can is a little tedious but that's as hard as it gets. Use a copper penny when running the stove not zinc. I've found that the stove stand and wind screen take more messing about to get right than the stove.

Circles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kenaiking

Thats because you cook with cast iron laugh

laugh

Ironbender.... I can too spell BEER laugh

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
F
Forager Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Just got the "Thru-Hiker".

Damn, that thing puts out some FLAMES, and does so with crazy efficiency. I put about 1/2 oz of 91% iso in there, touched a match to it, and the stove primed and started ROCKING in less than 60 seconds.

Might have to try the "Gram Weenie" and "Gram Weenie Pro", too.

Cool little stoves, and for the back-up idea envisioned, I think the Thru-Hiker or one of it's smaller brothers should be about perfect.

I'm still trying to better my self-built beer can version, just 'cause.

F
Forager Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I've run a couple different fuels now, and 91% iso is good, but dirty. HEET and denatured alcohol (especially the latter) are far better, and burn very cleanly.

16 oz. of near ice-cold water boils in 6 to 6 1/2 minutes, easily, and burn time on either is about 12-13 minutes.

Neat little stove, and perfect for a back-up.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
+1 on the fuel. when building them it takes some failures to get it right. after that you know what works for you. some folks make a lid to shut them down to save fuel.
they have their place, but it is limited. most times i would rather use solid fuel.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
My alky stove of choice has gotten to be the Cobalt Blue Soloist from Zelph at BPLite.com
http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1432
I use a vienns sausage can as a carry case/cup/snuffer and have been real happy with it.

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,410
Posts18,528,153
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.