Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking about getting myself a new deer rifle, guys. This would most likely be my last one. (famous last words) I've hunted with my pet Mauser or my 99 all my adult life, but a bad back, and the fact that the hills seem to be getting a little steeper, and further from the truck as I get older make me want to go lighter.

Your suggestions?

Here's my requirements-

Bolt action repeater in .308.
Wood stocked is okay, but would prefer glass.
Must have aftermarket triggers available for it, preferably from Timney.
Must be a lightweight model. No sense doing this if I can't bring it in as light rifle.
Blued okay, but would prefer stainless
Budget for the whole deal is 1K.
'Don't mind putting this together over the course of a couple years, so if I need to raise the budget slightly to get the right scope, right trigger, and right stock, that's okay.

My initial thoughts have seen me leaning towards a Remington 788 as I know these are very accurate rifles.

Whattathink?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
find a good stainless/synthetic model 7 in .308 and you're set.

if you insist on trigger, go for it, although i've found remington triggers can be tuned very well for about $50.

Leupold VX-II or VX-III depending on how much scratch you have left.

Good luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep an eye on Gunbroker for a stainless synthetic model 7. My guess is that the next few months will be a good time to be in search of such things as the Christmas bills begin to trickle in.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's the 99 you have??? Be hard to beat a 99F in .308 for most huning situations!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Here's my requirements-

Bolt action repeater in .308.
Wood stocked is okay, but would prefer glass.
Must have aftermarket triggers available for it, preferably from Timney.
Must be a lightweight model. No sense doing this if I can't bring it in as light rifle.
Blued okay, but would prefer stainless
Budget for the whole deal is 1K.
'Don't mind putting this together over the course of a couple years, so if I need to raise the budget slightly to get the right scope, right trigger, and right stock, that's okay.

My initial thoughts have seen me leaning towards a Remington 788 as I know these are very accurate rifles.

Whattathink?

That's got Kimber Montana or an 84M written all over it. I don't know if there are aftermarket triggers for them but $40 at my smiths made mine break perfectly at 3 lbs.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The ideas presented above are good. You might add the older Remington M700 Mountain Rifle to the list and the push-feed Winchester M70 Featherweights (and the Classic M70FW can be had in a short action too). Both of those offer a great amount of aftermarket triggers and Fiberglas/synthetic stocks available to choose from.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm 57, so I'm into lighter rifles also!

My present lightweight deer rifle is a Ruger LSS Compact in 7mm-08 with a Leupold 6X36mm.

Have owned 2 #7 rem, a LSS mtn. rifle , and a Weatherby ultralight in the past.

The Ruger has a short barrel and the length of pull is shorter but it really handles nice, for me anyway. And it's a "joy" to pack for longer hunts.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I selected a Kimber Montana as my lightweight. This is after 43 years of using the 99F and more years with other rifles.

To me that Montana is a milestone/anchor design. It has most of the features I want in a rifle and these days very light weight due to my age is primary.

In particular that Kimber has a safety that articulates easier than a M70's and retains CRF making it nice machinery.

[Linked Image]

Kimber 84M rifles

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My son shoots a Model 7 that we bought him brand new, and I've never been overly impressed with it's accuracy. 'Don't know if we just happened to get one that's not overly accurate, or if these just aren't all that accurate to begin with. What do the Kimber Montana's run weight-wise?

Anyone have any input on the Remington 788's?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remington 788s are fairly heavy, especially the earlier longer barreled ones.

My brother is getting close to having his points to go after bighorn in colorado. He just swapped us for our Ruger Compact 77 .260 in ss/lam. for that hunt.

It is a sub-minute shooter with factory loads, feathery light and will make a dandy youth rifle for his son and daughter. He already loaned it to a buddy's kid who piled up his first muley with it last month.

Compacts are feathery killing machines...I miss it, and am thinking about trying to find one in .223 for an Eastern walking coyote gun. For my youngest. whistle

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 12/26/09.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
IC B3

J
jmj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
gunsamerica has the Sako A7 for 749.00 You also get a free Berretta jacket.
Some cartridges are 849.00
It's a fine weapon...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Ruger 77 Ultra Light SS/synthetic .308.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do they even make that model anymore?

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I have a Rem 700 mtn rifle in 7-08. I like it very much. It will shoot less than .5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards with my handloads.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Going back to the original post, I do not think the Rem 788 is the platform you want to use (and all of the subsequent posters are implicitly agreeing because they are recommending something else.)

The 788 has been discontinued for a long time now, and parts are becoming increasing hard to find. A quality trigger may be out of the question. They are not light, nor are they graceful. Finally, the clip sticks out the bottom of the stock and precludes the comfortable grip that you are used to on your 99.

Building what you want off a Remington short 700 would be easy enough, although the CDL version may give you what you want.

I would also not reject the Tikka T3. I have been most impressed by the one I worked with.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
As no one else supports the originator's proposal on a Rem. 788, let me do so by a +1!

Yes, they are a bit "heavy" as one poster notes, but I have two and I like them! The 788 in .308 was a shooter; I saw a very nice and clean used one 4-5 months ago in .308 for $300.00 so they are out there...beats paying $1000.00 for a Kimber.

I like the weight of the 788.

Or, as a pre-retirement project, locate a 788 for the action and have a custom Douglas barrel in the weight/length of your choice installed for $300.00 by IT&D Custom Firearms of Minerva, OH (he did one for me). Still only out $600.00 total vs. $1000.00 for the Kimber; put the differernce toward a Zeiss or other super scope.

ITD was also barreling new 1999 Montana Rifle actions w/ Douglas barrels a few years back for a really good price as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Kimber Montana in 308 will weigh 5 lb, 2 oz. according to their site. Kimber 84M Montana 308 specs

Mine weighs 6.25 lbs with a 2.5-8 Zeiss Conquest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for the Montana in a 308, add Talley's, Uncle Mikes Mtn sling, 2-7 Leo and you're golden.

The trigger is incredibly good right from the factory and can be made better and this is coming from the biggest trigger prima dona ever.

Let us know which way you go.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Weight and accuracy will be the deciding issue moreso than price. I like the idea of the Montana when I hear about the low weight. I hadn't relly been thinking about these, but will be checking out this platform more seriously. The only reason I am interested in the 788 is because my brother has a couple of them and they are just tack drivers.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Tikka T3 Lite. Available in SS or Blued in a synthetic stock. SS models run around $600. Has an adjustible trigger and are dead nutz accurate. Leaves you around $400 for a scope.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,797
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.