Print Thread
Hop To
P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I finally got a chance to shoot my new rifle (358 norma mag). from the bench I found the recoil to be shall we say interesting. I was wondering if anyone makes a brake that can be used for sighting in and pratice and that could then be replaced or turned off for hunting. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
GB1

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
pumpgun,<BR>Try <A HREF="http://www.answerrifles.com." TARGET=_blank>www.answerrifles.com.</A> I have several of their brakes that I remove and replace with a thread protector for hunting. They do good work!

Phil Life Member SCI&NRA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I second the motion for the answer brake. Mine is on a 375 H&H. It is a joy to shoot. A fellow that posts here under the handle "Celt" was their "ace" (read master) gunsmith for years. I know he was gearing up tyo start his own shop. You might check with him. Remember the point of aim shifts a little with and without the brake, so keep that in mind also.<P>Good Luck<P>Tex

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I will have to keep that in mind Tex wonder if he will come out with his own brake? Celt you out there some where? tom

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Go post to Celt on the rifles and gunsmithing boards. E4E also knows how to contact him. I saw posts from him today On the boards, check his profile for an email. Celt is very very good. He did their "precision rifles" I guess you would call them?? Answers brakes are very pretty. Smooth contour between barrel and brake. I got their weird pad with springs also. Not real pretty for a "show" gun but it works very very well.<P>Good Luck to ya always<P>Tex

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It is my personal opinion that a muzzle brake hanging off the end of an otherwise nice looking rifle reminds me of sh-- on a white chicken. I have in the past sent my heavy-recoiling barreled actions to MagnaPort. Much better.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
John: Magnaport does almost nothing for recoil. It is designed to reduce muzzle rise only. Thats why they (magnaport) make a brake also. Two differant solutions for two differant problems. Have you seen a answer products brake BTW? They are the same contour as the barrel with very small holes. And he wanted it just to help with shooting at the range ?? So he only wants it for the bench and the brajke we recomended is maybe the best looking brake for the small amount of time he needs it on. A gun is a tool meant to perform a job for most of us. A brake lets many use the "tool" more effectively, thats all. Personally the only drawback to using a brake is hearing protection. I have enough old hunter friends that can't hear sh*t so I decided years ago I would always use hearing protection. So there is no downside for me anyway. But what ever you choose is OK by me also. Thats whats so cool..... We all choose what we want for the reasons we feel is important. You think the way a gun looks is the most important and I can respect that. Hopefully you can respect others also. I like the looks, but it is not number one with me. Heck I shoot stainless win70's with glass stocks so that speaks volumes about what I think is important to me.<P>Good Luck to you always<P>Tex

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
You can find Celt at <A HREF="http://www.members.tripod.com/hicksdesigns" TARGET=_blank>www.members.tripod.com/hicksdesigns</A>

Phil Life Member SCI&NRA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry about the Magnaport post. I guess I just imagined that my rifles recoil less since they were Magnaported. I guess I'll just have to buy brakes for them now that they are recoiling heavily again. Damn. I wish you hadn't told me that.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Jon: Thats Ok Bud. We all make mistakes. (grin) Thats a joke !!! Magnaport claims 10 to 20 percent reduction with magnaporting. 50 to 70 with THEIR brake. (which is pretty nice looking also BTW). <P>Both magna porting and answer brakes have no bulge or unsightly lump hanging off the end of the barrel. Magna porting has a smaller number of larger holes only on the top of the barrel. The answer brake has the same contour as the barrel. You can barely, even if you look very close, see a line between brake and barrel, but they have teeny tiny holes all the way around. The blast is better then most brakes but definately more then magnaporting. Depends what you want it for I guess. When it is maximum recoil reduction, I have several friend that had guns magnaported, onluy to have them cut off and add brakes.<P>I have seen some butt ugly brakes. Especially those hacked together 7 to 10 years ago. Allen Glore had a huge brake (someone else installed WITH IT ALREADY MAGNAPORTED) on (I think) a 378 Weatherby last year when we were in Alaska. You could of almost put a golf ball inside the holes on the side of this monster brake. Looked like the end of a tank barrel to me. But it seemed to work well based on those that fired it. His 12 year old was crazy about shooting that gun !! Little bity squirt too!! <P>I am sure magnaportiong reduced recoil on your guns SOME .... I mean holes at all will help some ?? But thats not even what the magnaport company recomends for recoil reduction ??? <P>We will agree to politely disagree on this one.<P>Cheers. And have a great day sir !<P>Tex

IC B3

S
S
If you have someone to do the gunsmithing for you check on Vais muzzle brakes. They orientate the holes on the brake so it doesn't blow the shooter's ears off. They also have the threaded cap that can be put on in lieu of the brake. I am currently having one installed on my Ruger MKII 35 Whelen.<P>Make sure you recheck your zero if you remove the brake and go to the cap since you will be changing the harmonics of the barrel.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Tom: Don't have your email anymore. Give me a phone call at the house tomorrow. Need to chat for a moment. new phone number also.<P>Tex<P>469 426-0833

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Texas hunter,<BR>Thanks again for the good words.<BR>I just got back on line yesterday.<BR>I have moved to Indiana and have my shop nearing completion.<BR>Probably be open for business in mid-October.<BR> For anyone wanting to contact me, my new email address is<BR>celt2000skyenet.net<BR>................Celt

P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Texas_hunter, tried emailing you twice both mail came back as undelivable. tom

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Tom: And I don't have your email. The one in my profile works also? Why does it say it is undeliverable? I need some clues? <P>You know it changed right?<P>M.K.Withersworldnet.att.net<P>Phone is 469 426-0833

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,295
Posts18,525,805
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.