-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've found that when alone and out of a crowd many of these men will open up about their experiences. My Step F-I-L fought across Europe in WWII and I've gotten stories out of him his own son's haven't heard because of my prior service and the common bonds we share.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257wby
Where will we find patriots like the Colonel when we need them? I have met a couple MOH winners. They are common men with uncommon virtues.

He's a great man who has passed but this generation of soldiers is worthy of carrying on the legacy.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I recently met a fellow at church. He had never really known his father, but I did.

His dad was the most decorated veteran of WW II in our county. He fought in the Pacific Theater. History has recorded the ferocity of the fighting there. He was an alcoholic. As a recovering drunk myself (31 years sober now), I tried to help him however possible. I took him to the VA hospital several times. I saved him from freezing once, and we fed him many times when he had nothing to eat and nowhere to go. He knew that he was always welcome at our home. Old Fred was never right in his mind during the entire time that I knew him, but he was always respectful and gentle with my family. Fred now resides in a cemetery, a stone's throw or two away from my house.

Fred Jr. never knew his dad because his dad never recovered from the memories of what he was forced to do to other human beings in order to survive himself. The only way that he knew to cope was to stay as drunk as possible on a continual basis. Fred's wife had to abandon him soon after his return from service, because he would wake at night with flashbacks and he would awake with very violent reactions, before realizing that he was home and safe.

Fred survived the war physically, but he gave everything in service to his country. He gave up his family, his sobriety, his sanity, and his peace of mind.

He once told me through his tears..."It would have been better for us all, if I had been killed in action".

When I told his son that I had known his father, Fred Jr. acted as if he could have cared less.

I miss Fred, even though he could be a real pain in my rear.

Merry Christmas, Fred. I hope you may rest in peace...finally.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

447 members (17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,398
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.