-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
talked to my parents in OKC...they're snowed in, and FedX didn't deliver yesterday so they'll have to wait on their Christmas presents. lots of folks stranded on the highways apparently.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mike762
When we landed on Thursday AM about half past midnight, it was gusty and spitting rain, and there were Tornado Watches South and West of MEM.

Maybe 100 and an 1/8th here in fog as that stuff slide north.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
CIG isn't our limiting factor, it's the vis. We're Cat II/III capable, which can take us down to a vis of 1000/600 respectively, with autoland at the lower range being mandatory.

Sorry the packages didn't make it on time. They declared an ops emergency as I left the building, and I was glad to be homeward bound.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sorry the packages didn't make it on time. They declared an ops emergency as I left the building, and I was glad to be homeward bound.

No worries for me. A very nice assortment of BBQ runs made it from BYC yesterday. Just gotta get the smoker undug before I try them.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
rather have the packages late than some FedX flyboy scattered all over Will Rogers airport.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Better heap on the coals to keep the temp constant, 'cause it looks pretty damn cold up there.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, we have been known to do that a time or two, unfortunately.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, we have been known to do that a time or two, unfortunately.

You guys have better record than guys flying checks.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
THAT ain't sayin' much! Can you believe we've had 12 Class A mishaps in 15 years, and we still have the same pogue as the Director of Safety. Talk about job security; I guess he'll have to die in office before he's replaced. The amazing part is that we still get insurance, though that's been a close run thing after Narita.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First CF rifle I ever fired. Back when they were still teenagers mostly.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
THAT ain't sayin' much! Can you believe we've had 12 Class A mishaps in 15 years, and we still have the same pogue as the Director of Safety. Talk about job security;

Cripes. He's got pictures of someone with a live boy or a a dead hooker. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs

Cripes. He's got pictures of someone with a live boy or a a dead hooker. grin

sounds like maybe both

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
First CF rifle I ever fired. Back when they were still teenagers mostly.

Me too. USAF basic, 1956.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Jorge, is the rifle for you or the Nordic princess? Women that like to shoot enjoy a M1 carbine. cool

Nope, mine, all mine! Oh and I also found Springfield Armory Garand. Original not arsenal reworked. Picking it up tomorrow I think and I'll post pictures. Speaking of pics, here are my two latest acquisitions: MINT LW Commander and a really nice M-70 Safari Classic, High end HS Precision stock, bedded, Cerakoted, awesome trigger job, S/S follower and Talley mounts. Enjoy. jorge

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M70 in what caliber? 375 or 458?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
sorry, 375 H&H. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I picked up an old Universal for a song, when my eldest (now 30), was 10 years old. He killed his first deer with it that same week, using some handloads I had put together for him. I was sitting at his side with my Colt Sauer 06 for back up, if needed. The little buck walked a few feet and collapsed.

My youngest son borrowed the little carbine from his big brother, and at age 9, he killed 2 deer with it, using some more hand loads.

It has been very reliable for 20 years. I have never shot any groups with it, and it has never been scoped, but I can shoot walnuts out of the tree with boring regularity. At least I could a few years ago. My eyes aren't getting younger, but I could probably still hit a soda can with it at reasonable ranges using those peep sights.

I didn't give much for it. IIRC, I gave $150 for it. It was a Christmas present for my son. He still has it, and it still runs fine.

It wouldn't be worth much to anybody else, but it has given my family a lot of good memories. At the time I got it, I didn't know anything about the different manufacturers, or the history of these little rifles. They are a lot of fun to shoot, and they make a great little gun to use for introducing women and kids to shooting.

My FIL fought in Korea. He lost a lung there. He played dead, lying in a ditch filled with water, while Chinese troops walked around bayoneting his fellow troops who were clinging to life. He got some stagnant water in his lungs that got infected badly. He passed out, and when he came to, the Chinese had gone. He was found the next day, close to death. Although I have read where many soldiers did not like to carry the Carbine, because of the smaller cartridge, he said that he loved using it because of the size and weight. He also told me that he had killed a lot of Chinese and North Koreans with it. He said it would kill a lot better than it was ever given credit for.

I would not use it for deer hunting now. Although it brought 3 deer home for us, I don't think it is adequate for deer, even with good hand loads. The deer we shot were within 25 yards or closer, and I was there with a back up.

The smallest round I use now, is 5.56. I have found it quite adequate at reasonable ranges, but only use it when I hunt my stands with sort range shots.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
boots, the universals are kind of looked down upon for various reasons, one of which is lack of parts interchangeability with a military, and the way they were built, I would NOT want to fire one. Having said that, i have seen them go for 400bucks purchased by the unwary. I think the government never really wanted the carbine released for various reasons. After WWII there were a LOT of parts around, but not many carbines except the "bringbacks" i.e. stolen. So there were various aftermarket makers that made receivers and put the parts back on them. Alpine is one, (cruddy) and i do have a iver johnson that is tight as a tick.

Actually Iver Johnson is the one that I was refering to! Not Universal. Wasn't it made in Florida?
think the universals were the florida operation.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
boots, the universals are kind of looked down upon for various reasons, one of which is lack of parts interchangeability with a military, and the way they were built, I would NOT want to fire one.

back in I believe 1970, I bought a Universal from JC Penney for $75.

Thousands of rounds later, it still shoots as good as when it was new, which ain't bad.

I have three USGI Carbines. Inland, which I have 'restored' to all the correct parts (for an arsenal rebuild). I also have a RockOla, and my latest is a Quality Hardware.
When you post a negative regarding universal carbines, me or someone else, generally it is ansswered by the above. The universal carbines are NOT all the same and there were various modifications made to them. The following link describes the "issues" associated with these carbines. I personally would NOT fire one of the twin spring carbines.
http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
boots, the universals are kind of looked down upon for various reasons, one of which is lack of parts interchangeability with a military, and the way they were built, I would NOT want to fire one.

back in I believe 1970, I bought a Universal from JC Penney for $75.

Thousands of rounds later, it still shoots as good as when it was new, which ain't bad.

I have three USGI Carbines. Inland, which I have 'restored' to all the correct parts (for an arsenal rebuild). I also have a RockOla, and my latest is a Quality Hardware.
When you post a negative regarding universal carbines, me or someone else, generally it is ansswered by the above. The universal carbines are NOT all the same and there were various modifications made to them. The following link describes the "issues" associated with these carbines. I personally would NOT fire one of the twin spring carbines.
http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html

my intent was not to get into a pizzing match with you about this. You stated you did not trust them, I said I have one that has been issue free.

Not sure where you are going with this now though.

Sam......

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 53 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,398
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.