Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Do any of you guys use cottonseed, or cottonseed pellets as supplemental feed for your whitetails or muleys? I've heard there's nothing better, and have seen some that is 27% protein. We don't have high fences.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cottonseed is good in certain portions. There are studies out of Texas A&M that show that too much cottonseed can actually deterioate antler development in whitetails.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the ranches I worked on, we had both available. In our research enclosures, it was just the pelleted feeds. When comparing our fed vs. unfed enclosures (200 acres with native brush, 12 total enclosures with varying density treatments) there is no doubt the feed made for larger bodied deer, larger antlers, more fawn production, better fawn survival, earlier pregnancies, earlier year of first reproduction (much more fawns and yearlings getting pregnant), more nontypical racks, and probably some other stuff. It works, but it's expensive and you have set up the feeders so that pigs and javelinas can't get in them. Also, the trough style feeders will get rain in them and really make a nasty mess of things.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Some of the big ranch high fence ranches around here in Mason,Texas have their own high protein blended feeds with a deer wormer mixed in.I've talked to a few of them,they tell me the wormer has added 5-10 percent more antler growth.We added snow peas to our corn,it's something like 16% protein.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Getting dietary protein over 9 or 10% is just peeing money down the drain. They need it primarily to keep the digestive process going. Also, ruminants are quite good at recycling nitrogen in their systems. Animals given extra protein every 4 to 5 days do as well as those getting a daily dose.

Excess protein is either pissed on the ground and/or coverted to an expensive source of energy.

1Minute
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by exbiologist
On the ranches I worked on, we had both available. In our research enclosures, it was just the pelleted feeds. When comparing our fed vs. unfed enclosures (200 acres with native brush, 12 total enclosures with varying density treatments) there is no doubt the feed made for larger bodied deer, larger antlers, more fawn production, better fawn survival, earlier pregnancies, earlier year of first reproduction (much more fawns and yearlings getting pregnant), more nontypical racks, and probably some other stuff. It works, but it's expensive and you have set up the feeders so that pigs and javelinas can't get in them. Also, the trough style feeders will get rain in them and really make a nasty mess of things.

This is exactly what I've been told several times. I'm looking for something the muleys will eat, and this seems to be the ticket. Was your experience with mule deer/whiteys, or both? This pelletized cottonseed feed can be had for significantly less money around here than commercial protein deer feed. Thanks for the info.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Raider, my study was with whitetails down near Carrizo Springs on the Faith and Comanche Ranches working for Texas A&M-Kingsville. 1Minute also has a good point in that it isn't just the protein level that matters.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd bet that the deer worming additions had alot to do with that. One of the big reasons why my desert bucks get so big, grow such large antlers and live so long is their very low parasite loads. E

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
JG, I have not personally used cottonseed for deer protein. However, the TPW biologist here does recommend it as an excellent source for protein. I have seen on some neighboring ranches where they use it. They build a cylinder about 3' in diameter out of V-mesh wire and stake it vertically, and fill it with "fuzzy" cottonseed. The deer love it and and the wire prevents the cattle from getting it. I don't think a hog will eat it but don't know about javeline. The "fuzzy" seed should be readily available in West Texas.
Amigo

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
JGR,

Like amigo I don't have any personal experience using cottonseed, I checked into it about 3 years ago when I was hunting up in Hall county. It is supposed to be very high in digestible protein and at that time was substantially less expensive than commercial feeds.

Here are a couple pictures of feeders made from v-mesh along the lines of what amigo described. I understand that some people have started using hog panels or cattle panels as they are stronger than the v-mesh.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Member
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before you get too excited about this reread 1minute's post. He speaks the truth.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Any effect on buck sperm production with cotton seed? In bovine bulls its known to decrease sperm count.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
That's the first thing I wanted to know. This particular feed I've looked at has .07% Gasapol (sp?), which is what, I'm told, is the key to sterility. Being this low I'm told it's not an issue.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (338rcm, 160user, 300_savage, 44mc, 470Evans, 35, 13 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,494
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.